Taboo topic?

julianf73

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This might be grounds for getting expelled from here, but I'm curious: what do you guys use as a companion to the Leica M? Any modern high-tech Canon/Nikon/Sony/Hasselblad/etc for those situations where the M won't cut it?

Disclaimer: I've been a stubborn M user for over 25 years. The last time I had a different camera system was a Minolta SLR in the late 90's 😀

But sometimes I do feel that it would be nice to have an AF/IS/Video/zoom/close-focus/fancy-schmancy camera as well. Would it stir up the creativity a little more, or would it collect dust?

Don't kill me, Leica Gods 😇

I exclusively used an M for a bunch of years in the film days, and again exclusively the when the M8 and M9P were King.  Originally I supplemented the film Ms  with a Canon EOS1 when it was the latest tech. (as well as Hassy for medium format.)   Back in those days the R cameras were built of unobtanium for we mere mortals.  

I've used a number of systems over the years, but always come back to M for snapshots.  However, today I also have a Lumix S1 and a Lumix S5 because the SL series is still built of unobtanium in my world.  I have since acquired a stable of R cameras and lenses, and they adapt nicely to the L mount cameras.  I only have a couple of native L mount lenses, the S24-105 f/4 and the 85mm f/1.8.

The Lumix S1 is the Panasonic version of the SL-2s and has the same sensor.

Edited by hepcat

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I learned photography with a IIIf, moved to a M2 and later had Leica R3mot.

After the R3mot+lenses was stolen I went Canon and then changed to Olympus (OM2/OM4). Kept the M2 for B&W film.

Digital I went to KonicaMinolta/Sony in 2006 and stayed there until now.

In 2022 I added a M246M as my first digital M body, so even though I have been an M user since 1977 (when I exchanged my IIIf for an M2) I currently consider myself mostly a sony shooter where the M body plays a specialty role. But I do use my M-lenses a lot on my Sony's via an adapter, but it's nice to use AF and zooms on there as well when the situation requires it.

This story might not help you much, but if you feel you need something different from M-Leica's for different situations there's plenty good systems available and the choice of what to take is very personal and very much depending of the specific shooting conditions you're looking for.

• Like 1

A Fuji X100T is my carry everywhere camera (in the pre-digital era, that was a Leica IIIc). My main SLRs are Nikons (all getting on a bit at this point), including a D800 and D300 for digital, an F100 and F5 etc. for film, and a couple of older FM series bodies. Before that I was using Yashica/Contax gear and still like the 167MT. I haven't used my pocket cameras (including a Yashica T4 and the original Canon G7) in a while, but recently rediscovered the family Olympus XA-2 and must put some film through it.

• Like 2

I've got a GRII (digital) and an Olympus XA that I also use.  Neither are particularly high tech fancy. The GR comes out when size and weight are almost the only considerations, and I'm heading into the lofi zone.  The XA is for even deeper lofi dives; my film monger does a scruffy kind of scanning that is perfect for my intention for that camera.

I don't find high tech automatic cameras interesting at all.  I sometimes struggle to get the Leica down to a crude enough level...and I am in control!

BTW, I haven't found anything that I want to photograph that the M10P won't handle.

• Like 1

I currently run with a Nikon Zf camera along with my M10.  The Zf lets me use my M-mount rangefinder lenses on a full frame mirrorless body that still has the manual dials that I like, but has IBIS and the ability to run a state of the art autofocus setup as well for when I'm doing sports or wildlife or just want an 'automatic' camera.  Both are amazing tools and it just depends on what you need.

The TTArtisan 6-bit adapter from M-mount to Z mount is great in that it will read the 6-bit encodings on Leica lenses (or in my case, hand painted encodings on my Voigtlander and TTArtisan lenses).  

• Like 2

I am a long time Olympus MFT user. I use my M mount lenses with an adapter which of course double the effective focal length of the lens. I can carry my Leica and Olympus bodies with several lenses in a small bag. I also have a Sony but I do not use it as much, I find the Olympus much more enjoyable to use.

• Like 1