How about a LUF's Digest Topic?

Pierre68

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello to every body!

As a Leica enthusiast I spend a lot of time seeking inspiration through the column of this forum... But I have to confess that most of the time I spend reading threads here is... lost time. I see a lot of speculation first, then MTF chart comparison, than complain about real or imagined Leica defaults... And to say the least very few inspiring post. This is not a complaint as it is the very purpose of this forum to allow anyone to make his voice heard about our beloved photo gear brand. BUT I would appreciate if the moderators or a few dedicated forum members would select a few universally valuable threads (or just posts...) and post them in a dedicated topic so that people looking for inspiration coud go directly to it to fin the most inspiring material... I think it would really raise the interest of this forum 

Pierre

1 hour ago, Pierre68 said:

BUT I would appreciate if the moderators or a few dedicated forum members would select a few universally valuable threads (or just posts...) and post them in a dedicated topic so that people looking for inspiration coud go directly to it to fin the most inspiring material... 

Pierre

There are too many pinned threads in camera forums. They become out of date as soon as they are pinned and lead to endless around-the-houses discussions about the same thing year after year becoming an ever growing ghetto until nobody can find the information they want within them. I say keep it vibrant and have pinned threads for forum technical matters. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good idea and I thought of the same thing. Andreas and the mods already do a super job so only if it doesn't create a heap of extra work for them.

Sometimes, there are emails highlighting what's new and what the hot topics are. How about this as a weekly summary pinned somewhere at the top of the forum? What's being discussed in the bar, general topics, camera and lens topics, and the top photo threads to look at.

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/ourpicks/

We already have this page with "Top content from across the community, hand-picked by us". But it contains mostly only product reviews – no content from the forum discussions, and it hasn't been updated for almost three years. 

I have these picks in the sidebar of my activity feed and it's quite annoying that there are never any updates. I have mentioned this to the forum management with no response.

Edited by evikne
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Perhaps start a thread with 'Inspiration' as the subject.

If it thrives (i.e. forum members contribute regularly) it will stay visible on the 'front page' of each sub-forum. If there is little or no interest, it will slip down the ranks and eventually disappear into the nether regions; in effect, this would be a members' vote of the thread's usefulness.

No one must read/watch the whole production; after some experience I know who produces texts/pictures that have value for me.

The interest is  dependant of what one looks for/needs at a particular period of one's evolution. 

I like tasting myself, appreciate today un post I will find useless tomorrow because I read it yesterday.

Good, valuable, interesting, informative, funny, posts are golden pepites that can be found browsing the multitude of threads of LUF. 

OK some pepites are smaller than others 😜

Out of left field (coming from one who does not understand soccer! 😇)I believe inspiration must come from self. It must be driven by your desire, hunger, urgency, whatever is rumbling away inside you that makes you consciously dissatisfied. Don't expect other peoples success or talent to rub off on you. Don't expect that using the same gear as them will help you. Make decisions and efforts for yourself. Expect that the results will not match everyone else's. Expect that you may be the only one to appreciate your achievements. The bonus can be that someone else does like what you create, but if they don't who is missing out?

I have always found that being a photographer is very much a solo pursuit. That may be a function of my style, but I produce my best when unencumbered by company, other opinions and external influences. Exceptions do exist and I have experienced them, but they are not the norm.

So, to the OP I say, look inwards and listen to what your urges say to you. Be guided by that. Then try again and again. It has taken me a lifetime to recognize these facts and now I am scrambling to benefit from them while I still can. Don't waste a minute. Start now, and continue.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, 250swb said:

There are too many pinned threads in camera forums. They become out of date as soon as they are pinned and lead to endless around-the-houses discussions about the same thing year after year becoming an ever growing ghetto until nobody can find the information they want within them. I say keep it vibrant and have pinned threads for forum technical matters. 

You’ll find that most of the pinned threads are not discussion threads but dedicated image threads per camera model.  The moderators do a cleanup from time to time. 

3 hours ago, NZDavid said:

Good idea and I thought of the same thing. Andreas and the mods already do a super job so only if it doesn't create a heap of extra work for them.

Sometimes, there are emails highlighting what's new and what the hot topics are. How about this as a weekly summary pinned somewhere at the top of the forum? What's being discussed in the bar, general topics, camera and lens topics, and the top photo threads to look at.

It would indeed cost an inordinate amount of time. I for one would not be willing to take on the task. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jaapv said:

It would indeed cost an inordinate amount of time. I for one would not be willing to take on the task. 

I quite understand. Perhaps something briefer? I am feeling under the weather right now but shall give it some thought.

22 hours ago, 250swb said:

I like when the image threads are being pinned. In some forums they are, in some not. Don’t get the logic. 

1 hour ago, Olaf_ZG said:

I like when the image threads are being pinned. In some forums they are, in some not. Don’t get the logic. 

NO NO NO, the image threads are fine because they are continually updated with new and fresh content pertinent in detail from the post that went before. It's the ghetto special content threads a forum doesn't need where somebody asks a question 'say' about an SL2, and it's a very pertinent and important thread for a while and maybe did needed pinning. But then inevitably the question is side-lined by somebody saying they have a Nikon F2 presumably just because it has a '2' in the name. And from then on it becomes a free for all. Like a Generals plans for battle, pinned threads never survive first contact with the 'enemy' (or alternative information), they are scuppered and then become multiple pages of dross with no direction. So 'universal' threads don't work because they immediately break down.

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 1

I often have to remind people of the useful Activity Streams in the forum (can be found under "Activity" on the menu bar). Choose one of the Default Streams (I like to use "Unread Content" to read the entire forum at once), or create your own Custom Stream, by ticking the topics that interest you. Once you've named it and saved it, you can bring it up again by clicking the newspaper icon in the top right of the page.

Another trick is to go to your Account Settings > Content View Behavior, and select "Take me to comments I haven't read". When you then click on a title in the forum overview, you will automatically be taken to the first unread post, instead of the last one posted (this can also be done by clicking on the little blue bullet to the left of each title, but it's easier to be able to click on the full title, especially when reading on a mobile phone).

Edited by evikne
  • Like 1

On 8/23/2023 at 10:30 PM, 250swb said:

NO NO NO, the image threads are fine because they are continually updated with new and fresh content pertinent in detail from the post that went before. It's the ghetto special content threads a forum doesn't need where somebody asks a question 'say' about an SL2, and it's a very pertinent and important thread for a while and maybe did needed pinning. But then inevitably the question is side-lined by somebody saying they have a Nikon F2 presumably just because it has a '2' in the name. And from then on it becomes a free for all. Like a Generals plans for battle, pinned threads never survive first contact with the 'enemy' (or alternative information), they are scuppered and then become multiple pages of dross with no direction. So 'universal' threads don't work because they immediately break down.

They are extremely useful for members looking for specific camera results.  It helps when they are pinned. They are not  meant to be used for general discussions, those will be deleted. Moderation judges constantly whether threads should be pinned or not.