How hard do you use your camera and how has it held up?

maidenfan84

Advertisement (gone after registration)

We all know there’s camera collectors, and absolutely nothing wrong with that, but I’m curious about the owners who use their equipment without second thought and use their M camera in manner some might consider rough. What do you subject your camera to and how has it held up over time? 

Using your equipment doesn't mean that you necessarily abuse it. Except for cameras with significant electronics like the R series and M7,  I've seen more Leicas fail through dis-use than from being used.  They may need an occasional overhaul, but short of physical damage that prevents them from working, your camera will last as long as you want to use it. 

• Like 3

For last  thirty plus years, I have used four film bodies: one M2, two M4-Ps, and one M4, and a series of Leitz lenses: 28 through 90 (excluding 75mm). For many years, I ran two to five rolls of film weekly through these. I have subjected this equipment to a range of climates, from hot and humid to hot and dry to pretty cold and wet and very cold and dry conditions. I also use a variety of speed lights when appropriate. 

I had the M2 CLA'd over ten years ago, before I lent it to one of my nieces who was interested in becoming a photographer--she has since moved to Germany and is still using the M2. I recently had both M4-P's CLA'd because it had been a good seven years since doing so. One of the M4-P bodies recently required a new master roller and a small curtain replacement. The other M4-P was very dirty, according to the technician, but required only routine care. The M4 was recently purchased from a dealer and was CLA'd before purchase. I have had all of these lenses CLA'd once during the last thirty years. I had the focusing tab on one of my 35mm Summicron lenses disintegrate, but that was an inexpensive fix. I've never had any problem with the 28 or the 50's. The 90mm gets very little use, but appears to work well. 

Now, I purchased a used M8.2 camera body about eight years ago. To date, it has a little over 6900 actuations on the shutter. i don't use it often. It has the expected "coffee stain" on the rear viewing screen, and the shutter sometimes misfires--but it's never "bricked" or anything severe. 

Edited by Tom R
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, maidenfan84 said:

Sorry, I should clarify that I don’t mean abuse them, but more so how the cameras get used in some Situations others might raise an eyebrow to

As there likely hasn't been a war since 1930 that a Leica hasn't seen duty in, I doubt there's much more severe service anyone could throw at them.  I was issued and used an M4-MOT kit in the Navy and used it under every condition you could imagine.   Once again, don't worry about it.  Just shoot your camera when you want it.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, hepcat said:

As there likely hasn't been a war since 1930 that a Leica hasn't seen duty in, I doubt there's much more severe service anyone could throw at them.  I was issued and used an M4-MOT kit in the Navy and used it under every condition you could imagine.   Once again, don't worry about it.  Just shoot your camera when you want it.

When you were in the Navy they used magnesium powder for flash. 😋

• Haha 4

Just now, jdlaing said:

Film bodies of yore are different than the electronic masterpieces of today.

Naaah...  My M10-P will last just as long as my M3 and M5.  Maybe. 

Actually the M8 and M9 bodies have held up a lot better than I'd expected.  I honestly don't have concerns about my M10-P.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jdlaing said:

M3 and M5 can still be repaired today. M8 and M9 not so much.

But there's still a lot more of them in service than I'd ever expected there'd be this far along.   The M8 is 17 years old now, and there are still M8s in use.  The M9 was introduced in 2009.  As they were the guinea pigs of the Leica digital line,  and there are very few digital cameras from any other company still in regular use from that time, I'd say they were actually pretty successful.  If I get 17 years out of my M10-P, I'll be satisfied.   I really see the M10-P as the M6 of the digital Leica line. 

• Like 5

I was using my M8 for a good 16 years until earlier this year and have sold it to afford a switch to the M10.

The M8 was and now the M10 is my EDC (everyday carry). In the early days I had all the known M8 issues and always got it repaired by Leica.

M8 and now the M10, very much the same as my analog Leicas, is used on all my business & private travels, off-shore sailing, ski-touring, MTB … the digital ones have seen 40 countries all over the world.

I take good care about my cameras, but they need work out there in the great wide open and in cities … otherwise there would be no need for a camera (especially not a sliver one with brass body that weighs ready to about 1kg).

As the old saying goes … the best camera is the one you have at hand … (literally translated from German since I don’t know the correct English quote …).

• Like 1

I’m not very rough with my bodies, because there are lenses on it which I don’t wanna jeopardize. Except for my M4 (with the Summaron 35 which I sold), which is so solid, that I don’t feel I need to be carefull with him. The M7 is very sturdy too but I’m not that rough with it, more because I want to keep it nice for myself. The possibility that I will sell my camera is never on my mind when handling it. I once pulled of the plastic from the baseplate of my Monochrome1 because I sweared to never sell it, which I still did later on. Otherwise I leave the plastic on the baseplate of my camera’s and there I do think I might sell it once. With my M10-R I am a bit carefull, this just happens rather unconsciously, probably because of the electronics in it which ask intuitively for a bit of care. 

• Like 2

For ten years a digital M hangs naked on my shoulder everywhere I go.  It has been through rain storms, sand storms, sea spray and everything in between. Bumped on rocks and guardrails, and especially on my car's door frame.  Some days it shoots over 500 images.  I cannot imagine a better or more trustworthy camera to carry.  And mine takes fabulous photos too.

• Like 6

Bought my M4 in 1968 and had 3 lenses in 1969. The M4 had one CLA about 10 year ago, and all are doing fine, as are the rest of my M system. My R4 didn't hold up as well - more complex mechanicals and electronics, but my Leicaflex SL is still fine.

• Like 1

Leica Ms are solidly built and don't e.g. contain plastic parts in places particularly exposed to external strain. However, they are precision instruments and not specifically protected against rough conditions (no MIL spec compliance or similar AFAIK). M Leicas are not water proof, although newer models are slightly better protected against moisture entering the body. I don't hesitate to use both my M9 and M10 under all normal weather conditions, also in rain or snow, but I always put them away in a bag or sleeve between shots. I always use a protective glass (filter) on all my lenses so that I can wipe off drops of water without worrying about scratching the front element. I have used my M) and M10 in temperatures down to -20C but never under really hot conditions. I have also experienced a number of accidents (bumps and a few drops) but been fortunate enough to get off without bigger damages than a few scratches on the body and dents on the lens hood. Of course in addition to rangefinder misalignment, particularly on the M9. 

My Leicas are intended to be used and I don't mind usage being visible as external wear, meaning e.g. nice brassing on my black paint M9.

• Like 3

I have never had a Leica M (digital or film - camera or lens) fail due to how I used it.

Including these two M9s - the Canon AF lens locked up for a while, however.

News event: 2014 Ouray CO ice-climbing competition -5°C/23°F

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

And then there was my "Jackson Pollock M8" (and the same 21 Elmarit as in picture above) - caught in a shower of white-wash during a college initiation event:

Edited by adan
  • Like 12

My original M10 has not had quite as exciting a life - but is pushing 50000 exposures without a whimper,  based on the number of times I have had to reset the numbering when it hits Lxxx9999.

Edited by adan