New: Leica Summicron-M 28 f/2 ASPH.

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 hours ago, Jewl said:

...If you mount the 28 will there be framelines you cannot see without the 28mm mounted? Or is it basically then the whole viewfinder that frames a 28mm picture? 

There are 28mm frame lines but they are so wide that they may be impossible to see with glasses on. Even without glasses, I have to push my eye very close to the viewfinder and physically look up/down/side-to-side to see the framing at the edges. I don't do this in practice, I just assume the entire view is the 28mm image, which works out well. For exact framing with a 28mm lens, best to reference the LCD.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/3/2023 at 3:19 AM, adan said:

Jeez, the way Leica keeps making lenses bigger and bigger these days, the M12 body may actually be the size of a "Texas Leica" (Fuji GW690 RF for 6x9 120 film)!

https://fstoppers.com/reviews/look-texas-leica-626496

Texas Leica… Another one of those moronic monikers just like ‘King of bokeh’. There’s a special place in hell for people who come up with these.

• Haha 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 11/5/2023 at 4:30 AM, Al Brown said:

Texas Leica… Another one of those moronic monikers just like ‘King of bokeh’. There’s a special place in hell for people who come up with these.

I have a Fuji GW690III. Texas Leica is a very apt tongue-in-cheek description (not at all comparable to the stupid as The KOB aka 35 Summicron IV).  ‘Everything’s bigger and better in Texas’ 😁

Am 2.11.2023 um 15:42 schrieb hmzimelka:

The problem seems to be that his camera's frame selector lever isn't bringing up the 28 frame-lines... no 28mm lens attached.

I got it / was my fault. Just didn't see the 28mm framelines as they were too wide at first sight haha. But still okayish with glasses! Was worrying whether these are too wide with glasses but similar to the 35mm ones where you have to move your head slightly if you have glasses on! But yea, impossible to see the whole frame all the time. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/6/2023 at 3:12 AM, MarkP said:

I have a Fuji GW690III. Texas Leica is a very apt tongue-in-cheek description (not at all comparable to the stupid as The KOB aka 35 Summicron IV).  ‘Everything’s bigger and better in Texas’ 😁

You gotta admit it's funny, as there's no bigger opposite of Japan than Texas!:). Suddenly want to check it out...

• Haha 1

vor 4 Stunden schrieb LCL999:

If you want a 28mm with a twist for close-up then get a Q3 and you get another half stop as well.

and btw, what is the indicative price for this new lens?

Sounds reasonable but is not necessarily the solution for everyone as I do not want to have 3 cameras with me (M11, MP + Q). And, you cannot leverage the lens on the other bodies. 

In Germany it will be 4950 EUR - you might want to check the respective Leica Onlineshop website for Australia https://store.leica-camera.com/de/de/leica-summicron-m-1-2/28-asph.-schwarz

Mine arrived yesterday.  Did some quick test shots around house with my M10M (+Visoflex), featuring my favorite test subjects.  Jpegs have some mild contrast adjustments (lowering mostly).  Output set to default “sharpen for screen” in C1 export.  Dropbox folder also contains the DNG files as those are the only real way to gauge the lenses:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/retrr53b840xwtpokq3xn/h?rlkey=o893mhqy136k44z8xbgr0z800&dl=0

Initial observations: very contrasty, more so than the Summilux 28 which I also own.  Not as sharp as I'd like, though I'll need further testing to compare against Lux and Elmarit to see.  I never owned/tried a Summicron 28 before.  Close focus is a game changer for me: the 12" gain in near focus point feels more like 2' as the tiniest movements in and out seem exponentially greater at this range (even on a 20lb. chihuahua).

I'll attempt to post some jpegs below but I'm seeing a 2.44MB limit so it will only be one or two (I'm new to posting here - what's the trick?).

-Andrew

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by andrewhueb
  • Like 4

I've just picked up my copy today. Managed to get a few shots before the storm hit, I like the size and feel of it. It does seem like its not as sharp as the new 35lux but only when pixel peep. The aperture ring has a different design with a curved edge which is interesting. Didn't get to test the close focus mechanism with real life photos yet but so far I'm happy with it. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Ktsa5239
  • Like 16