New: Leica Summicron-M 28 f/2 ASPH.

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

New: Leica Summicron-M 28 f/2 ASPH.

The New Generation of the Powerful and Versatile Wide-Angle Lens

Wetzlar, 26th October 2023. Leica Camera AG’s experience and expertise in the development of optical precision tools goes back more than 150 years. Since then, handmade cameras and lenses have been created in the Leica Manufactory – with no less a claim than to rank among the best in the world. Up to the present day, this claim has been the source of the innovative spirit and the passion to rethink the existing without compromise and to keep redefining the limits of what is technically feasible. The same is true for the Leica Summicron-M 28 f/2 ASPH.: with its further development, the consequently updating M-Lens portfolio offers a state-of-the- art, versatile wide-angle lens.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The new powerful high-speed M-Lens presents itself with improved technical features which equip the Summicron-M 28 f/2 ASPH. ideally for the latest sensor technology and thus for current as well as future camera generations. At the same time, the combination of the wide- angle with the closest focusing distance extended from 70 to 40 centimetres opens up additional photographic possibilities. Focusing up to 70 centimetres still works via the range finder of all digital and analogue M-Cameras. After a slightly perceptible resistance, the extended close-up range between 70 and 40 centimetres can be precisely focused via Live- View on the screen, the Visoflex 2 viewfinder or with the Leica FOTOS app.

Due to the compactness typical of M-Lenses, the new Summicron-M 28 f/2 ASPH. is also characterised by handiness. The lens hood in a modern, round design is directly integrated in the lens, which makes it especially comfortable. It can now be screwed in or unscrewed with only a flick of the wrist at any time.

Inside the lens, 9 lenses in 6 groups provide for images that are extremely rich in contrast and detail. The focus ring can be adjusted in a remarkably quiet and smooth way. So, the Leica Summicron-M 28 f/2 ASPH. shows exactly the precision which is distinctive of Leica products and not only bears the quality label “Made in Germany” but also shapes it significantly.

The Leica Summicron-M 28 f/2 ASPH. will be available globally at all Leica Stores, the Leica Online Store and authorized dealers starting November 30, 2023. The retail price will be €4,950.00 including VAT.

• Like 4

The 28mm I always dreamt about, ever since they brought the special edition designs with integrated lens hood...

A week after I bought the Summilux 😂 I used up all my Leica money for this year...
Oh dear...

The focus tab looks different... shorter, rounder, the devil's horns are less pointy. 
Interesting... why change this? The current/last gen focus tabs were perfect (for my fingers).

Edited by Marckyokay
  • Like 2

I really wanted the integrated hood matte black 28mm when it came out, but of course it was already sold out and the second hand premium was too big so settled with a regular 28mm Summicron. Now this is out I have to admit I am a little bit intrigued, but if I'm honest with myself I also think my 28mm cron is probably the least favourite/used lens that I own – I just like having 28mm as an option sometimes. So I don't think it's gonna be an upgrade for me, but when I'm in a local store I might just check it out just in case.

1 hour ago, Marckyokay said:

The 28mm I always dreamt about, ever since they brought the special edition designs with integrated lens hood...

A week after I bought the Summilux 😂 I used up all my Leica money for this year...
Oh dear...

The focus tab looks different... shorter, rounder, the devil's horns are less pointy. 
Interesting... why change this? The current/last gen focus tabs were perfect (for my fingers).

Summilux is a better lens anyway!

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

vor 6 Minuten schrieb ValerieD:

Lenght Approx. 55 mm

length Approx. 58 mm

Weight Approx. 275 g

from the specs sheet on Leicas website 

Thank you. I tried there but could not find. My fault.

So its a bit bigger and a bit heavier.

Edited by M11 for me

My eyes popped wide when I saw this had dropped with the M11-P, and I scan-read, and then slow-red the long announcement. Not seeing anything that answered my question - is this a new lens? I then downloaded the technical sheet and compared the optical formula to the current 28mm Summicron. 

This is not a new lens. (Or have I missed something?)

The barrel and shade mechanism has been updated to the current design (like the 1.4/35 FLE, and 1.4/50SX ASPH), and we now get close focus (this is especially useful for this wide angle). But otherwise is a tweak of the 2016 tweak of the year 2000 release. A nice lens, and nothing wrong here with the update.

What I'd REALLY like to see is a 28mm APO-Summicron-M to join the 35mm and 50mm variants. Now that would be something!

• Like 2

Wow big news! Like others, most important thing to know is actual length measured from the mount. With the close focusing mechanism, it looks like the lens protrudes quite a bit from the mount so I wonder if that is factored in the length measurement. 

I really have no desire for closer focusing lenses that don’t work with the rangefinder. 

I guess they are preparing for an EVF M sized body that so many want. 

It’s a pity that these releases bring down the used value of the 0.7 meter versions. 

vor 10 Minuten schrieb hdmesa:

Leica Miami IG story says 275g is lighter. Did the weight of the previous version include the hood?

You're right. The "old" one weighs 290g incl. hood and covers. (see the official spec sheets to download)

Edited by M11 for me
  • Thanks 1

This new lens is 5mm wider in diameter and almost certainly heavier than the existing 28mm. Leica's weight and length specs are just sadly off. For example, the latest close-focus 50mm Summilux-M spec sheet said it was only 2g heavier than the older one but in reality, was 45g heavier.

Edited by mosh1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sebben said:

I really have no desire for closer focusing lenses that don’t work with the rangefinder. 

I guess they are preparing for an EVF M sized body that so many want. 

It’s a pity that these releases bring down the used value of the 0.7 meter versions. 

i dont think this means that a EVF M is coming, simply alot more people use the visoflex now.

and i wouldnt think this brings down the prices of the 0.7 lenses. this makes them even more antique

i would really wish leica would release a 21mm summilux with CF soon the bokeh wide open at 0.7cm is fine but there is so much more potential

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ValerieD said:

I meant in the regular (not limited, Vip) lineup. This 28, based on the design and features, comes to complete the CF trinity. I don’t understand why the 35 and 50 CF come in black and silver but not the 28. Is it because of lack of demand for the 28mm focal length compared to 35 or 50? 

Special limited edition, coming soon 😁