60mp Rangefinder - Honest Opinions

JTLeica

Advertisement (gone after registration)

15 minutes ago, JTLeica said:

Update

On my list is just the 21 SE and the 90mm Macro, unless anyone can give me a sharper 80-100mm option for the M?

The 90mm macro is great for its portability, and closer focus, but personally I've always found the pics from it to be a bit 'dull' for lack of a better description, esp compared to my 90mm Elmarit-M which cost a lot less. The 90 APO of course is in a league of its own, but you pay for it, and it's heavy. The 135 APO (and non-APO predecessor) is a brilliant lens, and one of my most used as of late. I would assume the 90mm Summarit to be pretty dang good as well, esp considering the value in comparison. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JTLeica said:

On my list is just the 21 SE and the 90mm Macro, unless anyone can give me a sharper 80-100mm option for the M?

Depends if you're after a lens with macro or close-ups capabilities. If so, the Macro-Elmar 90/4 is unrivaled. If not, the following lenses can compete easily:
• Summicron 90/2 apo
• Elmarit 90/2.8 v2
• Summarit 90/2.4
• Tele-Tessar 85/4

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, lct said:

Depends if you're after a lens with macro or close-ups capabilities. If so, the Macro-Elmar 90/4 is unrivaled. If not, the following lenses can compete easily:
• Summicron 90/2 apo
• Elmarit 90/2.8 v2
• Summarit 90/2.4
• Tele-Tessar 85/4

1 hour ago, charlesphoto99 said:

The 90mm macro is great for its portability, and closer focus, but personally I've always found the pics from it to be a bit 'dull' for lack of a better description, esp compared to my 90mm Elmarit-M which cost a lot less. The 90 APO of course is in a league of its own, but you pay for it, and it's heavy. The 135 APO (and non-APO predecessor) is a brilliant lens, and one of my most used as of late. I would assume the 90mm Summarit to be pretty dang good as well, esp considering the value in comparison. 

Interesting you both mention the Summarit. All I will be doing with the lens is Stopping down to F5.6/8 for tele landscapes. However the occasional wide open portrait might be nice.

I would prefer not to spend another 2k if I don't have to, so the Summarit 2.5 or 2.4 (I understand they are the same Optically?) would be a nice way to save. More robust than the Macro too I guess. I won't use the Macro for macro no.

If I am not missing out on any resolution / sharpness with the Summarit I'd go for that. I don't really want to tame a 90 APO Summicron, size / weight puts me off.

I think I will wait for a 21SE to become available used. And to be honest I will stick with that as my widest lens, I want to get away from Ultrawides, I find them a lazy way of shooting and perspectives are distorted.

If you look at the three images shot below. These are 14/15/16mm, whilst I like them all, the subject, which arguably in all are the mountains, are small, and flat, and distorted thanks to the FL and my lack of thought about composition.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

30 minutes ago, JTLeica said:

I would prefer not to spend another 2k if I don't have to, so the Summarit 2.5 or 2.4 (I understand they are the same Optically?) would be a nice way to save. More robust than the Macro too I guess.

Judging by the 75/2.5, my copy of it was too fragile for me to advise a 90/2.5 but my 90/2.4 is faultless TBH. Now i would not swear that robustness is its best quality. I'd rather advise an Elmarit 90/2.8 v2, or a Tele-Tessar 85/4 which is both affordable, feels solid as a tank and offers the best performance in matter of sharpness, distortion and chromatic aberration.
Edit: as far as affordable second hand lenses are concerned, the M-Rokkor 90/4 in its Minolta CLE version is highly advisable too.

Edited by lct

51 minutes ago, lct said:

Judging by the 75/2.5, my copy of it was too fragile for me to advise a 90/2.5 but my 90/2.4 is faultless TBH. Now i would not swear that robustness is its best quality. I'd rather advise an Elmarit 90/2.8 v2, or a Tele-Tessar 85/4 which is both affordable, feels solid as a tank and offers the best performance in matter of sharpness, distortion and chromatic aberration.
Edit: as far as affordable second hand lenses are concerned, the M-Rokkor 90/4 in its Minolta CLE version is highly advisable too.

So you would call the Zeiss 85mm the Sharpest 85/90? More so than your 90 2.4 Summarit?

I think for now I would be happy with either of these options. The APO is too large and macro maybe not good value if its no better.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The older 24mm Asph 2.8 is a brilliant wide angle lens as well, and often more affordable than the new SEM versions (albeit a it larger).Nver tried the 21 2.8 ash version.

If for only occasional use then yeah, the Summarit 90 is great choice, as would be a late 90mm 2.8 Elmarit. Both used go for about the same price, though the 90 2.8's are hard to find six bit (mine isn't but doesn't matter to me). The only Summarit I have is a 35 2.5 and it's a neat little lens. 35 is my least used FL and so I just couldn't justify the price of anything else (but still wanted that Leica UX). 

Here's an early morning shot from Kauai (on a tripod) with the 90 2.8 at about 5.6 if I recall.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JTLeica said:

So you would call the Zeiss 85mm the Sharpest 85/90? More so than your 90 2.4 Summarit?

At f/2.4 and f/2.8 no ;) but at f/4 and on yes, especialy at edges and corners. Now the sharpest 85/90, among M-mount lenses, is probably the Summicron 90/2 apo.

3 hours ago, charlesphoto99 said:

The older 24mm Asph 2.8 is a brilliant wide angle lens as well, and often more affordable than the new SEM versions (albeit a it larger).Nver tried the 21 2.8 ash version.

If for only occasional use then yeah, the Summarit 90 is great choice, as would be a late 90mm 2.8 Elmarit. Both used go for about the same price, though the 90 2.8's are hard to find six bit (mine isn't but doesn't matter to me). The only Summarit I have is a 35 2.5 and it's a neat little lens. 35 is my least used FL and so I just couldn't justify the price of anything else (but still wanted that Leica UX). 

Here's an early morning shot from Kauai (on a tripod) with the 90 2.8 at about 5.6 if I recall.

Lovely moody image Charles. Yes I used to have the Tele Elmarit without  the hood. Pretty lovely lens. In short, I am doing my upmost not to buy anything twice... i.e. 'start' with a summarit and then buy a 90 APO... etc.  I mean, I won't do that as I don't want the large Apo 90, but you get me.

I think the 90 Summarit is probably the one. Maybe just the 2.5 as it's so cheap vs the rest. I won't use the hood ever, and will just screw a 46-49mm step up and magnetic cap... I'll probably be screamed at by the purists 😉