Q3 with Peak Design System

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 weeks later...

I got the micro clutch, and I returned it. It's very uncomfortable. It forces the hand into an unnatural position, and makes it hard to keep the index finger on the shutter. It would work well if you press the shutter with your thumb, but I don't do that. 

There are a lot of reviews on the PD site mentioning this, and it may be because I have large hands, and can only fit two fingers through the loop. And the screw blocking the SD card slot; that's just dumb. They said that the micro clutch was compatible with the Q2, which has the tripod mount in the same position. 

Anyway, worth trying to see if it works for you, but a lot of people are finding it uncomfortable. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I have PD anchors from my other system and would love to get a PD strap for the Q3.  Debating between the Leash or the Slide Lite.  Also, does anyone know if there are neoprene/padded covers available anywhere for the attachment clips?

• 2 months later...

Just adding on here that I'm using a combination of the peak anchors and the capture clip with my Q3. Use the Slide strap most of the time, occasionally using the leash if I'm going to keep the camera in hand for a while. The capture clip also works great; the sliding plate does block access to the SD card slot with the half case I have from artisanworkstation, but allows the battery door to remain accessible, which I can live with. 

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

i also bought the peak design links. Some came with very small oval split rings which were perfect for my M11 so that the clutch does not touch the camera body. Others came without that rings. The Leica Q has a smaller body so that the clutch does also not touch the body without the rings. Nevertheless i would like to have some because then the strap is moore loose. But i don’t know where i can buy just the rings. Does anybody have an idea?

https://nikonites.com/forum/threads/peak-design-oval-split-rings-with-plastic-sleeves.47741/

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use the Peak Design cuff, attached to the JJC HG-Q3 hand grip.

Attaching the cuff to the bottom of the camera is not as disadvantageous it may seem: I find it very comfortable -- and no tooth floss is required.

A lousy snap:

David

• Like 1

On 7/4/2023 at 11:30 PM, AdHox said:

I've attached PD anchors to my Q3, although I've used little split rings between the eyelets and the anchor cords. I do this because (i) it's easier to thread the cords, (ii) any friction with the eyelet is with a steel ring and not Dyneema.

I did similar, but was able to get leather guards to go along with the split rings you mention.  So far so good.

There have been quite a lot of instances of the Peak Design Anchors getting worn/breaking when threaded through the eyelets of Fujifilm cameras, I have always used additional rings to avoid this, so with my Q3 I’ve done a similar thing, using the Leica strap pads as well.

I like the Peak Design straps and use the  Cuff and Slide Light on all my cameras, never had any issues (even the GFX and a heavy lens)

Edited by Mr Perceptive
  • Like 1

I used Peak design clutches and wrist straps with my Canon R5 but gave up on them. The clutch reduced my ability to change hand position and the wrist strap just didn't work very well - it would not release properly so it just ended up strangling my wrist and then required the other hand to release it.  I like the ability to remove wrist straps and main straps with the PD system but I do find the small buttons annoying when no strap is on the camera. The problem with the R5 is that it is quite bulky which makes the clutch quite restrictive. Anyhoo - I though I would try with the Q3 but I found the buttons even more annoying on the Q3. I have (for now) settled on a paracord wrist strap - this releases easily and is easy to get out of the way and does not restrict me at all. I will use a shoulder bag to store camera whilst moving aoround but like to have the camera in hand. The Q3 is light enough to do this and be able to shoot quickly when needed. My point is that I don't think there is a cover all solution and you have to find what is best for you. 

On 7/27/2023 at 9:44 AM, kirkmc said:

I got the micro clutch, and I returned it. It's very uncomfortable. It forces the hand into an unnatural position, and makes it hard to keep the index finger on the shutter. It would work well if you press the shutter with your thumb, but I don't do that. 

There are a lot of reviews on the PD site mentioning this, and it may be because I have large hands, and can only fit two fingers through the loop. And the screw blocking the SD card slot; that's just dumb. They said that the micro clutch was compatible with the Q2, which has the tripod mount in the same position. 

Anyway, worth trying to see if it works for you, but a lot of people are finding it uncomfortable. 

I agree - I think the clutch approach is pointless as it is too restrictive on the hand position and this is especially the case with the Q3 as the flip screen (if you use it) will demand even more changes in hand position and although you think this looks like a safe way to operate your camera I believe it makes you more at risk of dropping it as you twist your hand to change position - a wrist strap which is comfortably snug around the wrist with some length to allow the hand to change position is a much more useable and safe way of carrying your valuable camera. 

For when I dont need to use my tripod, this is my latest method of attaching a Peak Design cuff, or indeed a strap. The triangular clips can be obained from Amazon -- for example.

I may also add the leather circular pad to protect the camera, though I am not sure that it is strictly necessary. The black plastic part of the adaptor prevents the split clip from abrading the PD cord. It is a little tricky to assemble, but not impossible. I recommend gentle leverage with a small screwdriver.

David

Edited by David Wien
  • Like 1

Am 18.2.2024 um 10:26 schrieb Wellsyboy:

Hi @Ingo - what have you used to cover your red dot on the Q3 please? I assume people do this to prevent attention????

It's just a piece of Gaffa-Tape. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/5/2023 at 3:09 AM, LeicaBitOfThis said:

Just thought I'd let owners and prospective owners know that it is indeed possible to attach Peak Designs Strap 'clip' system to the Q3. 

The eyelets of the Q3 are somewhat small which a a shame. But, one can still get the PD clip system through them..... at a squeeze... you just need to use some Dental Floss threaded through the eyelet to pull the PD cord through. It requires a bit of 'muscle' to pull through, but it will go... and without detrimental affect to the cord or the eyelet.

Good luck all...

Thank you for the idea of using the dental floss, and another to use fishing line to guide the PD cord through the eyelets of the Q3.

I was unable to get the dental floss or fishing line, and didn’t want to buy new reel for this purpose. I got the sewing thread instead. Most homes will have some. Before using it, I thug with a bit of force to see if it breaks, so managed to get one to withstand the pull. When going through the eyelets, didn’t use brutal force, pulled it slowly with some wriggling. It took less than 3 mins to do the job for one eyelet.

On 2/18/2024 at 10:26 AM, Wellsyboy said:

Hi @Ingo - what have you used to cover your red dot on the Q3 please? I assume people do this to prevent attention????

It is far more effective to stick a flashing red dot on your forehead. It will divert all attention away from the camera.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/18/2024 at 8:23 AM, Mr Perceptive said:

There have been quite a lot of instances of the Peak Design Anchors getting worn/breaking when threaded through the eyelets of Fujifilm cameras, I have always used additional rings to avoid this, so with my Q3 I’ve done a similar thing, using the Leica strap pads as well.

I like the Peak Design straps and use the  Cuff and Slide Light on all my cameras, never had any issues (even the GFX and a heavy lens)

Ultimately I think this solution is better than without the ring, less likely that the lug / canvas material breaks as there isnt any wear on it. Cant really see it scratching the camera, much...

On 2/29/2024 at 10:08 AM, JTLeica said:

Ultimately I think this solution is better than without the ring, less likely that the lug / canvas material breaks as there isnt any wear on it. Cant really see it scratching the camera, much...

I’m going to get some smaller diameter split rings!

• Like 1