Q3 with Peak Design System

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just thought I'd let owners and prospective owners know that it is indeed possible to attach Peak Designs Strap 'clip' system to the Q3. 

The eyelets of the Q3 are somewhat small which a a shame. But, one can still get the PD clip system through them..... at a squeeze... you just need to use some Dental Floss threaded through the eyelet to pull the PD cord through. It requires a bit of 'muscle' to pull through, but it will go... and without detrimental affect to the cord or the eyelet.

Good luck all...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

I've also incorporated the PD Wrist Strap under the Q3 for when/if I remove the PD Shoulder Strap. 

Don't want this Baby to suddenly drop out of my hands! 😄

Edited by LeicaBitOfThis
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Miltz said:

I’m considering this as I don’t know if I want a strap on all the time. I don’t use a strap at all now, but the Q3 might be the first. I would be worried those come apart, do you really trust it? 

I've attached PD anchors to my Q3, although I've used little split rings between the eyelets and the anchor cords. I do this because (i) it's easier to thread the cords, (ii) any friction with the eyelet is with a steel ring and not Dyneema.

Over a long enough period, the loop can wear, but the layers are different colours so it's obvious if the top layer is getting thin - although mine have never become that worn.

The PD system can be trusted to keep your Q3 safe; the anchor clicks into the anchor link and won't release until you need it to. I've used PD to carry my birding kits, so it'll cope with the weight of my Q3.

For various reasons I haven't used PD on other Leicas, but for this camera I am. I'm not sure why I've changed my attitude.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Miltz said:

I’m considering this as I don’t know if I want a strap on all the time. I don’t use a strap at all now, but the Q3 might be the first. I would be worried those come apart, do you really trust it? 

There is no problem with regards to safety with the PD System. I've used this to carry SLR/Digital Cameras for many years and never experienced any issues. All one needs to do is keep an eye on the cords for any fraying or PD cord indication system that the cords need replacing.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, LeicaBitOfThis said:

Just thought I'd let owners and prospective owners know that it is indeed possible to attach Peak Designs Strap 'clip' system to the Q3. 

The eyelets of the Q3 are somewhat small which a a shame. But, one can still get the PD clip system through them..... at a squeeze... you just need to use some Dental Floss threaded through the eyelet to pull the PD cord through. It requires a bit of 'muscle' to pull through, but it will go... and without detrimental affect to the cord or the eyelet.

Good luck all...

I did the same thing with the dental floss and the eyelets.  Yes it was tight but I did it.  The system works well with both the strap and wrist.  BTW waxed floss did better than unwaxed..... but for an hour afterward my new Q3 smelled very minty. 😁

Bob

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 7/5/2023 at 11:10 PM, anonymoose said:

I use the PD anchors too, but I use the the tiny keyring to connect them so there's more "play" so to speak.

But more potential to scratch your camera. 

I received the micro clutch yesterday. 

I started to install it, but in the end, I decided not to use it. I don't think that the finger grip added much, and all of the extra hardware blocking the battery and SD card are just not worth the hassle for me. 

The little tool used to remove the screw isn't super easy to access from the baseplate. 

I'd rather have a lower profile camera system. 

I usually just use a leather wrist strap that I bought at the Leica boutique. When traveling, I use the PD Arca Swiss tripod plate to attach the camera to a Capture Clip that I keep on a backpack strap so that I can go hands free. 

• Like 1

On 7/8/2023 at 7:20 PM, ikc said:

I received the micro clutch yesterday. 

I started to install it, but in the end, I decided not to use it. I don't think that the finger grip added much, and all of the extra hardware blocking the battery and SD card are just not worth the hassle for me. 

The little tool used to remove the screw isn't super easy to access from the baseplate. 

I'd rather have a lower profile camera system. 

I usually just use a leather wrist strap that I bought at the Leica boutique. When traveling, I use the PD Arca Swiss tripod plate to attach the camera to a Capture Clip that I keep on a backpack strap so that I can go hands free. 

Good to know. I also use the Capture Clip as you described, but was thinking of getting the red target (er, dot) off my chest. 

Side question, did you get a shipping notification for the micro clutch, or did it just show up one day. I am still waiting for mine.

I got the micro clutch recently too. First, the little tool; I think it's well designed. Just press on the end where there's a little gap and it angles out.

The only problem is that the bottom screw blocks the SD card door. The Clutch is designed so you can loosen the screw a bit and slide the plate off, without taking the screw out completely, but that does't work with the Q3, and probably not with any Q.

On 7/5/2023 at 12:56 PM, BobsFirstLeica said:

I did the same thing with the dental floss and the eyelets.  Yes it was tight but I did it.  The system works well with both the strap and wrist.  BTW waxed floss did better than unwaxed..... but for an hour afterward my new Q3 smelled very minty. 😁

Bob

I used heavy fishing line to get mine thru!

I use a peak design wrist strap on my Q2 Mono. It was a struggle to fit through the eyelets but with dental floss it was rather easy. I go out and shoot 3-4 times a week and always hold the camera in my hand with said strap attached. I trust it completely but i do check every now and then for wear at the attachment points. 

On 7/10/2023 at 9:39 AM, jwhitehead said:

Side question, did you get a shipping notification for the micro clutch, or did it just show up one day. I am still waiting for mine.

Sorry for the delayed response. I did get notifications for shipping and delivery via email. 

I received my micro clutch on Wednesday. Works good and adds a nice portion of comfort and security. Of course it comes with some compromises. Changing the battery is relatively fast but the screw blocks the SD-card slot so you have to remove it completely. I'm using a USB-C cable for file transfer anyway so I don't have an issue here.

• Like 3