Leica filter conundrum

Bertie boy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, new to the forum so this is my first post! I already have some Leica uv filters both the uva l, which seem to have a purple reflection, and some uva ll versions, which are multicoated and show a green reflection. I have just bought a used uva ll but no box but this shows a dark blue reflection. Did Leica change the coating colour or have I been sold a fake? Thanks everyone! 

25 minutes ago, Bertie boy said:

Hi, new to the forum so this is my first post! I already have some Leica uv filters both the uva l, which seem to have a purple reflection, and some uva ll versions, which are multicoated and show a green reflection. I have just bought a used uva ll but no box but this shows a dark blue reflection. Did Leica change the coating colour or have I been sold a fake? Thanks everyone! 

Leice filters are not made by Leica. so may vary from time to time. The reflected colour of the coating has no photographic significance. Personally I think that the Nanocoated products of the major filter producers are superior to the Leica ones. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Bertie boy said:

I have just bought a used uva ll but no box but this shows a dark blue reflection. Did Leica change the coating colour or have I been sold a fake? Thanks everyone! 

Try a test of your two filters on a subject you would normally shoot, for fun also try the UVa I.  

There is no simple answer to best or superior.  I shoot single coated filters on single coated lenses without issues. 

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2017/06/the-comprehensive-ranking-of-the-major-uv-filters-on-the-market/

Bertie Boy,  First, welcome to the forum.  You will find a large number of experienced and well meaning photographers who will offer sage advice to include myself.  Second, I agree with both Jaapv, Darylgo.  Leica filters have at times different coatings over the many years.  Personally, I use Breakthrough Photography and Leica filters on my lenses and find them excellent for their intended purpose. I am sure you will have others who will chime in with their ideas as well.  In the meantime, try the link below.  r/ Mark

Try:  https://breakthrough.photography

Edited by LeicaR10

14 hours ago, Bertie boy said:

I have just bought a used uva ll [...] but this shows a dark blue reflection

I hardly see significant differences between UVa (13131 below) and UVa II (13030 below) Leica filters as far as reflections are concerned. You may wish to show your dark blue reflection that i have never seen so far. I rarely use UV filters though.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!