Played a few days with it and the 60MPX sensor begs for a panoramic crop !!!

6 hours ago, jaapv said:

Err… what is so difficult about a panoramic crop in Lightroom et al.? 

An additional X-pan aspect ratio would help frame the shot (same as 16:9 and other selectable aspect ratios). I find it hard to shoot an image for a different aspect ratio than the one seen in the EVF/LCD.

Edited by SrMi
  • Like 3

Where does it stop? An 4x3 MFT ratio? A 1x1 Hasselblad ratio? A 16x9 ratio?  A programmable ratio?  There is a point at which the camera stops holding your hand. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m not so sure it’s a niche request given that even my (ancient) M240-P displays framelines for 1:1, 6:7, 16:9 etc using the EVF.
Adding an “X-pan” ratio to an EVF-only camera would seem not entirely taxing…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daniel C.1975 said:

I dare say, that is a very niche request. 

Suggestion: Use the grid-lines and just add mentally a bit to the top and bottom and be with it. 

That's what I've done in the past, using the centre section of the thirds gridlines.

Had to photograph a panoramic shot of kids playing tug of war - without a visual aid it's difficult to keep on top of the composition - making sure the heads are all visible, within the frame and there's space on the left for copy.

Kids are always moving around (and they had to be pulling on the rope anyway) and messing about, makes it a lot easier to have the crop lines at a glance - and if they move around I can move to adjust.

That was for a billboard

Edited by dancook

3 hours ago, jaapv said:

Where does it stop? An 4x3 MFT ratio? A 1x1 Hasselblad ratio? A 16x9 ratio?  A programmable ratio?  There is a point at which the camera stops holding your hand. 

Most 3:2 cameras support 4:3, 1:1, 16:9 ratios. GFX and X1D support X pan crop. One of the main complains about X2D  is that it has not implemented aspect ratios yet. Many cannot stand 3:2 ratios, and prefer 4:3 of MFT and cMF formats.

With ILC cameras, I am mainly interested in 1:1 (couple with 17mm for an SWC look) and the XPan. On Q2, the XPan ratio would be most useful for me.

The point with Leica is, however,  that these are framelines indicating various focal lengths not cropping markings. As for framing a pano shot like Dan describes, one does not crop in the camera, so it is quite easy to adjust the framing on a computer screen. Nothing of the heads etc will be lost. It would just be an extra hassle trying to frame in the viewfinder. 

cropping in capture one is what i do ... but owning the magnificent xpan i can tell you that aiming with the right aspect ratio is a complete game changer.

i find 35, 50 and 75 mm digital crop much less needed in term of composition ... cause it retains the same aspect ratio and the zoom can be mentally made looking at the whole picture easily... 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, jaapv said:

So agree.

Why is it that so many people want everything done for them?

Are they patiently waiting for old age when the nurse will change their diaper and feed them their pablum?

End of rant!

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, pixelmixture said:

cropping in capture one is what i do ... but owning the magnificent xpan i can tell you that aiming with the right aspect ratio is a complete game changer.

i find 35, 50 and 75 mm digital crop much less needed in term of composition ... cause it retains the same aspect ratio and the zoom can be mentally made looking at the whole picture easily... 

That is exactly what you do with a Q. From anyplace on the sensor. You don’t need restrictive  framelines in the viewfinder for that. Those are only there to attract M owners to the Q. 

7 hours ago, bobtodrick said:

So agree.

Why is it that so many people want everything done for them?

Are they patiently waiting for old age when the nurse will change their diaper and feed them their pablum?

End of rant!

I rant, therefore I am - Dennis Miller

• Like 1

crazy how people can get so worked up over someone else's feature request :D dare I say please let me remove the 75 and 90mm crop lines. I don't use them. replace them with a 65x24 aspect ratio. I'm all for it. It would be so easy to implement this but it's probably against the purists. glad we even get crop lines in the Q... instead of zoom with your feet, you got to pan with your han(d) 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, pixelmixture said:

of course it's a fair request ... i'm struggling to find a digital replacement for my beloved and still used xpan ... and the 60mpx and the electronic viewfinder are the main ingredient needed to achieve that ... 

sell the q and buy a x2d 😎

• Haha 1

• 9 months later...
On 5/30/2023 at 11:26 PM, jaapv said:

Except the Q3 already does 4:3, 1:1 and 16:9. A programmable custom ratio doesn't seem outrageous. If it can't be handled for some reason, then customizable gridlines/frame lines seems just as reasonable.

On 5/31/2023 at 9:07 AM, jaapv said:

Err… what is so difficult about a panoramic crop in Lightroom et al.? 

Agree 100%, just take your photo and crop it in post. In camera crop to panoramic is just stupid and lazy.