A few days in

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My go to camera has been the SL. It’s away being cleaned up prior to its upcoming sale on fleabay. 
so how is the new M8 and am I beginning to enjoy its simplicity, size and loud click whirrrrrr.

reasons behind my desire to change were the three S’s Size, Simplicity and Sensor. My wife has the same 3 desires for changing me. For Sensor expand to sensitive.

I digress. The size is great with a grip. The simplicity is as you all know a reason to get on and shoot. The sensor is the carrot at the end of the stick. It will shoot beautiful images, it must. It had better!

I now have two of the beasts. One to return when the customs let it. With a new M9 shutter A quieter click whirrrr. 
that’s intriguing me.

too early to decide and the SL has to go to fund the Leica repair/ replacement costs after the unexpected shutter fail of 3 weeks ago. 
What won’t change is my eye. I take a lot of dull stuff to get a keeper. 
practice on a simple instrument will learn me how to get a tune. The rest is down to me. 
I will keep posting the pics. Happy to hear from anyone. 
its been fun so far

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Once you're familiar with your M8, you might decide to experiment with an undocumented 'feature' of shooting infra-red handheld.  In case you're not familiar with infra-red pictures I include an example below for your interest.

Pete.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

M8 and 21/2.8 Kobalux with 850 nm infra-red pass filter.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

A few weeks in and  400 plus photos taken. I have been wearing my glasses to focus on the most distant work. As a result I have decided to buy a  Leica 1x4 viewer for the eyepiece. I hate wearing glasses for my photography.

positives;

the B&w settings suggested in a much earlier M8 discussion ISO 640,  jpeg fine is working beautifully.

the m8 has slowed me down and I’m taking more considered photos. This on reflection is not only because the camera’s mechanics won’t allow rushing but, after breaking one shutter I’m shooting the current m8 with the thought that “overuse” of my m8 may lead to another such incident.

the colours with the IR cut filter are delightful.

the image quality on both lenses and adopted settings  are great

I’m using a desktop tripod for 30% of my photos utilising the 2 second timer. I like the tripod approach. Again, it slows me down. The tripod assist may then lead me to print some of my photos and print them large. I will as always spend hours pondering which to print and probably decide not to until I have holidayed in France, where,  I have traditionally produced my best work. 

This may be my last camera change and therefore digital my choice. The m8 process does seem satisfy my desire to shoot film and, I don’t want the cost and inconvenience of shooting film. Shame as that’s how I saw myself going. Being honest, I don’t have the patience or commitment.

When my original m8 is returned, with m9 shutter installed I shall be using both M8s side by side.

which will I keep?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A month or so in and I’m and I’m still loving the simplicity of use and images I’m producing.

the only problem I have been having is with my eyesight and focusing without my glasses or sun glasses. I hate wearing them to shoot with.

I have therefore bought a Light Lens Lab x1.4 viewer. Brilliant! Problem sorted. Clear, bright viewfinder.

Edited by Harvey
  • Like 2

Just another IR photo, why I boughtthe camera, then....

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The new M9 shutter

The M8 is the Leica color IR queen.

• Like 1