Yo-Yo-ing Back to the Q2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After 5 months with an M11 I'm back to the Q2 fold with a new (actually third) Q2.

The M11 is a lovely camera and I had no problems with it at all, but aging eyesight and a family growing more frustrated with being told to stand still while I tried to focus has taught me the error of my ways.

I offer my apologies for doubting how good the Q2 actually is!

• Like 6

I too, over the years, bought and sold the Q2 no less than five times. What keeps me coming back to it is spectacular lens and the image quality. What makes me get rid of it is the atrocious AF. I'm just faster with M. My hit rate is higher with an Elmarit wide open, guessing the distance and setting it with muscle memory from the hip, than with the AF of the Q2 even at F8. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

18 hours ago, Steven said:

I too, over the years, bought and sold the Q2 no less than five times. What keeps me coming back to it is spectacular lens and the image quality. What makes me get rid of it is the atrocious AF. I'm just faster with M. My hit rate is higher with an Elmarit wide open, guessing the distance and setting it with muscle memory from the hip, than with the AF of the Q2 even at F8. 

Q2 has excellent MF mode and good markings on the lens.

1 hour ago, SrMi said:

Q2 has excellent MF mode and good markings on the lens.

The Markings are quite horrible in my opinion, when you compare them the a 28 like the Summaron. It’s not precise, so you need to guess. It’s actually one of the main complaint of the q2 on the internet. 
Once you’re in MF, I much prefer an M anyway. It’ll always be faster and more enjoyable with no blackout. 

7 hours ago, Steven said:

The Markings are quite horrible in my opinion, when you compare them the a 28 like the Summaron. It’s not precise, so you need to guess. It’s actually one of the main complaint of the q2 on the internet. 
Once you’re in MF, I much prefer an M anyway. It’ll always be faster and more enjoyable with no blackout. 

I agree that at 28mm, MF with a rangefinder is better than with an EVF camera.

On 4/26/2023 at 3:01 PM, Steven said:

I measured mine and it's pretty much accurate, and it seems it can be calibrated and not all Q's are calibrated the same. However the focus throw is so short to be useful for muscle memory, and the markings are lacking anything beyond 2m rendering it useless beyond that distance. I had 28 cron on the M and it's much easier to nail zone focus.

On 4/26/2023 at 4:58 PM, microview said:

My experience is that the autofocus is more accurate than my trying manual focus. I think the Q2 images are great but my M10R with a VC 50mm apo-lanthar lens gives truer colours (at least on foliage).

I examined many M10R (and regular M10's) images and my conclusion is since the M10 iteration Leica start to tune the greens slightly more towards olive and less oversaturated looking, and the Q2 is somewhat in line imho.

The biggest problem with Q2 is color separation, as in how obvious the shades of green and yellow one can observe on even just a small section of foliage, which the M family does a lot better. I did my own color grading and liking the Q2 a lot better now. 

I`m currently on my first long distance trip since I got my first and only Q2 back in 2020. Hustling around in Nepal (work related), I`ve had my camera with me almost 100% of the time. My debut in "real" street-photography was in Kathmandu. This camera is the most versatile I`ve ever had. No chimping, so when coming home I really look forward to see the results. If anything is worth sharing, I will do so in the Q2 image thread...

Btw. I got myself a small camera-shoulderbag (MegaGear) before this trip. Fantastic! My travel-companions believe I keep bringing my phone, credit-cards, water bottles etc. But the real reason is the Q2 residing in the corner of the bag. Most importantly, always bring your camera ;)   

• Like 5

On 4/26/2023 at 10:43 AM, jaapv said:

Interesting remark about colour. Is the foliage yellowish/olive ? 

TOP 365 is from M10R/VC50mm; BELOW 041 is from Q (both without LR corrections)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by microview

2 hours ago, jaapv said:

The only thing I see is a minimal difference in colour balance. Look at the flower.

Besides the color balance, they are probably taken at a very different time (after rain vs dry), difficult to judge. The M10R shot had a lot more shades of greens there making it looked more lifelike.