Renting an M10, which lens to rent with it?

maidenfan84

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am going to rent an m10 since I don’t know anyone that has an M camera, as I want to see how the experience is since I wear glasses, etc before potentially spending that amount of money to purchase one. There’s a slew of Leica m lenses I can rent with it and looking for ideas on which one I should rent. I usually use 35mm primes so this would be my first option if anyone can suggest. I also see they have a 50mm 1.4 also for a reasonable price so I might make an exception for that since I don’t usually use 50’s. I appreciate any advice, thanks in advance!

I would recommend the 50mm summilux ASPH for general use & portraits.

Alternatively, the 35mm summicron asph for general use and street/environmental portraits.  

A 28 might also be a good choice to pair with the 50.

There are other interesting lenses like the 50 summicron APO for testing extreme sharpness/resolution and the 35 summilux FLE.   Those are a bit more than I can afford, but stunning technology nonetheless.

• Like 2

I believe the 50 1.4 summilux ASPH is the lens that’s reasonably priced for rental. I wouldn’t mind checking out the 90mm but I never shoot anything above 50mm. I’m mostly between 18 and 43mm 99% of the times I’m sure it’s an amazing lens and experience though!

I appreciate everyone's feedback and advice! I ended up going with the M10 and the 50mm Summicron f2 since it was drastically cheaper than the Summilux 1.4. I just wanted something reasonable to try out the system and get a feel, not too concerned with top notch photo quality at the moment. If I end up getting the M10, I'll certainly look into your suggestions for lenses! Thank you, again!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, maidenfan84 said:

I appreciate everyone's feedback and advice! I ended up going with the M10 and the 50mm Summicron f2 since it was drastically cheaper than the Summilux 1.4. I just wanted something reasonable to try out the system and get a feel, not too concerned with top notch photo quality at the moment. If I end up getting the M10, I'll certainly look into your suggestions for lenses! Thank you, again!

Can't go wrong with a Summicron.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

13 hours ago, jankap said:

Perhaps a 90mm to see, what rangefinding and wearing glasses means.

PS

An Elmar would suffice for this test. Elmar means an f/4.0 or an f/3.5 lens.

Not sure what you mean by that. If you can see sharply at 2m, the finder patch will work perfectly. 90mm frames are easily visible wearing glasses.

My caveat would be to check what the 28mm frame looks like when wearing glasses. I would not go wider than 35mm because otherwise the frame is very hard to see with glasses on. Adding a diopter correction glass on the VF is an option of course.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, dpitt said:

Not sure what you mean by that. If you can see sharply at 2m, the finder patch will work perfectly. 90mm frames are easily visible wearing glasses.

My caveat would be to check what the 28mm frame looks like when wearing glasses. 

Adding a diopter correction glass on the VF is an option of course.

The poster wanted to test the use of glasses on a rangefinder camera. I would for such a test recommend using a wide angle and a telelens. The wide-angle to see the frames and the telelens to test the accuracy of the rangefinding. I suppose, that today for 135mm lenses the rangefinder is not used any more.

Of course, hardcore users tape the LCD screen of the camera. Then the use of 135mm´s gets difficult.

Testing means for me, that one should try to detect the boundaries. 

Of course, one can buy accessories, but in most cases, they only help somewhat. My opinion.🤔 

Edited by jankap
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, jankap said:

Perhaps a 90mm to see, what rangefinding and wearing glasses means.

PS

An Elmar would suffice for this test. Elmar means an f/4.0 or an f/3.5 lens.

Wouldn’t an Elmar or Elmarit mean 2.8?

• Like 1