SL2+35 Zeiss Distagon 1.4 via M/L adapter

Genoweffa

I have the combo above. Works great, I still prefer to use the lens on the m, this only because i am able to focus with the m faster.

Some images below, (SL2s + ZEISS) = 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Malabito said:

I have the combo above. Works great, I still prefer to use the lens on the m, this only because i am able to focus with the m faster.

Some images below, (SL2s + ZEISS) = 

great pics...

no problem with focus peaking?

do you get any data registered w/pics?

8 minutes ago, Genoweffa said:

great pics...

no problem with focus peaking?

do you get any data registered w/pics?

Focus peaking works, but i wouldn't say its great, if you want to shoot wide open, you will need to zoom in. 

The only data registered is the one you set in the camera, if in the camera you register 35mm lux, it will appear like that =

Aperture is not real, its an  estimate based on exposure done by the camera.   You will need to enter your focal every time you put the lens, this for IBIS to work and for it to be registered in exif.

• Thanks 1

It's an amazing lens and combo on the SL2.  I sold my Zeiss copy because I also had the SL 35mm summicron apo and I didn't need both although I thought about keeping the Zeiss as a backup.  I waited to try both out side by side.  I found the Zeiss look very similar to the apo and obviously was missing the AF and waterproofing.  So the 1 stop difference isn't a deciding factor for background blur.  They are pretty equal.  

The Zeiss used is a nice alternative to the cost of the SL apo.

Robb

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/24/2023 at 11:42 AM, Malabito said:

Focus peaking works, but i wouldn't say its great, if you want to shoot wide open, you will need to zoom in. 

The only data registered is the one you set in the camera, if in the camera you register 35mm lux, it will appear like that =

You will need to enter your focal every time you put the lens, this for IBIS to work and for it to be registered in exif.

You lost me a bit on this: Aperture is not real, its an  estimate based on exposure done by the camera...

example: f4 is set on the ring...do you see f4 in EVF?...and if you see that exposure is right on - you take a shot

then in exif f will be shown as a different value, not f4? 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 minutes ago, Genoweffa said:

You lost me a bit on this: Aperture is not real, its an  estimate based on exposure done by the camera...

example: f4 is set on the ring...do you see f4 in EVF?...and if you see that exposure is right on - you take a shot

then in exif f will be shown as a different value, not f4? 

This is what happens when you shoot any manual focus lens on an SL camera with any adapter (including the M Adapter L used with a Leica M mount lens). The lens and camera don't communicate with each other past what the 6-bit coding on an M lens communicates through the adapter to the SL -- which lens is mounted to it (and then the appropriate profile is applied automatically). Aperture exif data when shooting an adapted lens on the SL (a non-native L Mount lens) is usually in the ballpark of correctness, but is frequently not quite right. So it might show f/4 if you were at f/4, or it might show f/3.4 or f/3.8 or f/5.6. 

I don't own any autofocus lenses that are not natively L mount (I have M and L mount lenses only), so I'm not sure if this also happens with a Nikon lens, for example, adapted to the SL(2) with autofocus functionality. This is definitely what happens with manual lenses, though. 

45 minutes ago, leicameech said:

This is what happens when you shoot any manual focus lens on an SL camera with any adapter (including the M Adapter L used with a Leica M mount lens). The lens and camera don't communicate with each other past what the 6-bit coding on an M lens communicates through the adapter to the SL -- which lens is mounted to it (and then the appropriate profile is applied automatically). Aperture exif data when shooting an adapted lens on the SL (a non-native L Mount lens) is usually in the ballpark of correctness, but is frequently not quite right. So it might show f/4 if you were at f/4, or it might show f/3.4 or f/3.8 or f/5.6. 

I don't own any autofocus lenses that are not natively L mount (I have M and L mount lenses only), so I'm not sure if this also happens with a Nikon lens, for example, adapted to the SL(2) with autofocus functionality. This is definitely what happens with manual lenses, though. 

Manual lens, as in manual f selection...

I don't have problem with my manual focus Zeiss ZE lenses via mc-21 adapter. F-stops are set via Leica SL2. Exif shows me basics: f,t,iso,lens info (sometimes w/improvised nos.) over/under exp.

• Thanks 1

For M lenses with an adapter, there are no electrical contacts or mechanical interfaces between the aperture ring on the lens and the camera body.  The SL series cameras (and digital Ms too) thus only guess the actual aperture you set on the lens, based on the profile you select as well as factoring ISO and meter reading.  So you won’t see a true representation of f stop in EXIF data.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Anakronox said:

For M lenses with an adapter, there are no electrical contacts or mechanical interfaces between the aperture ring on the lens and the camera body.  The SL series cameras (and digital Ms too) thus only guess the actual aperture you set on the lens, based on the profile you select as well as factoring ISO and meter reading.  So you won’t see a true representation of f stop in EXIF data.  

Understood.

What will I see in SL2 EVF as f?...nothing?...zero...some approximate f-stop number?

I should add that there's only one reason why the camera tries to guess the working aperture for M lenses: some of the software correction is aperture dependent. For instance, vignetting is greater at large apertures. The software doesn't need to know the exact aperture for this, so a guess will do.

Having an incorrect aperture in the EXIF is an annoyance for some users, but it doesn't affect your images.

You should look at the Zeiss ZE lenses for Canon. I have the Novoflex SL/EOS adapter which then gives you all the Exif data, just like a SL native lens does.

I have Leica M lenses, and Zeiss C?Y manual lens, but it is the Zeiss Classic, ZE's, or Milvus that I prefer using generally over my SL APO 35, SL zooms, and SL APO 75 lenses.

This is because I favour manual focus for most of my work and the Zeiss lenses are simply beautiful to focus. 

The advantage with  the ZE lenses over the prior Zeiss, or  M mount lenses is that when used on an SL2, or in my case a Lumix S1R, you focus them actually better than you could on the SLR's they were designed for, since you can  magnify the image if need be. This means you can absolutely nail focus when shooting even longer lenses wide open. This was always a problem with SLRs. Another huge advantage is with the ZE & Milvus, the aperture automatically opens wide for focusing, then closes down to your  set aperture automatically for shooting. The others require that you open up and stop down manually. I find this to be a pain generally. Also because the camera knows exactly the aperture of the lens the image on the EVF is very bright, where as when I use an m lens it can be dimmer.

Using the Zeiss ZE's or Milvus is exactly like using a lens designed for that camera. Perhaps there are other lenses that work this well but my experience is only with Zeiss as well as with native Leica lenses on my present camera.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, douglas ball said:

You should look at the Zeiss ZE lenses for Canon. I have the Novoflex SL/EOS adapter which then gives you all the Exif data, just like a SL native lens does.

I have Leica M lenses, and Zeiss C?Y manual lens, but it is the Zeiss Classic, ZE's, or Milvus that I prefer using generally over my SL APO 35, SL zooms, and SL APO 75 lenses.

This is because I favour manual focus for most of my work and the Zeiss lenses are simply beautiful to focus. 

The advantage with  the ZE lenses over the prior Zeiss, or  M mount lenses is that when used on an SL2, or in my case a Lumix S1R, you focus them actually better than you could on the SLR's they were designed for, since you can  magnify the image if need be. This means you can absolutely nail focus when shooting even longer lenses wide open. This was always a problem with SLRs. Another huge advantage is with the ZE & Milvus, the aperture automatically opens wide for focusing, then closes down to your  set aperture automatically for shooting. The others require that you open up and stop down manually. I find this to be a pain generally. Also because the camera knows exactly the aperture of the lens the image on the EVF is very bright, where as when I use an m lens it can be dimmer.

Using the Zeiss ZE's or Milvus is exactly like using a lens designed for that camera. Perhaps there are other lenses that work this well but my experience is only with Zeiss as well as with native Leica lenses on my present camera.

Thanks for your input.

Yes, I have ZE lenses...and I love them. I have to pass on the idea of adding 35 distagon

Great pics! The Zeiss Distagon 35/1.4 is an amazing performer. I've had the same combo for a while now but have never got round to using it. I bought i primarily because of Lloyd Chamber's raving review of the lens. He claims it is the best M lens bar none. You've inspired me to want to go out and try it more. 

In fact, I'm curious to see how it stacks up against the fabled 35 Summicron-SL.

5 hours ago, Sohail said:

Great pics! The Zeiss Distagon 35/1.4 is an amazing performer. I've had the same combo for a while now but have never got round to using it. I bought i primarily because of Lloyd Chamber's raving review of the lens. He claims it is the best M lens bar none. You've inspired me to want to go out and try it more. 

In fact, I'm curious to see how it stacks up against the fabled 35 Summicron-SL.

I decided to stick with my current 35 1.4 ZE 'classic'

14 hours ago, Genoweffa said:

Want to come back here for one more clarification....

When you use M lenses or the one from the topic ie.Zeiss ZM, does the EVF gets very dark and harder to read when say, you shoot at f8, f11?

It depends on your Exposure preview setting. The EVF will not get dark if Exposure preview is set to ON. You will still find it harder to focus, because there is more depth of field (which means that it's harder to pinpoint exact focus). The EVF image can also get grainier if it's dark, because the EVF needs to boost the image in order to sample at 60Hz. That graininess won't appear in your images.

• Thanks 1

To add the comment above. 

The EVF is a little easier to focus on the SL2-s, the cleaner sensor helps with the noise level in the view finder.

I find most M lenses hard to focus at F8-16, it probably needs focus peeking on. 
I tend to open wide, focus and close again, but I understand it is not practical .

When shooting people I stay close to wide open.

• Thanks 1