I Love My M6!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I upload this in the MP thread because I didn't now this one, but here is mine...

• Like 1

I've had my M6ttl for about 11 years now. It was my first Leica. Oddly enough on that day I had gone down to the store to buy a Nikon, but ended up coming home with a black demo M6ttl. It was a demo unit with a small ding in the baseplate, but that ding knocked a solid 25% off the price of the camera and made it affordable.

Well, sort of affordable.

The camera has taken it's share of abuse over the years, but has never let me down, unless it was due to 'operator error'. I've used it almost daily since I bought it and it's had it share of accidents, but luckily Sherry or Don always got her working again. The black chrome is getting pretty worn in several places and the slanted rewind knob is slightly bent, but all of that is cosmetic. It's used, not abused.

I have no idea how many rolls I've put through it, but it's a lot and she just keeps getting smoother with age.

The M6(ttl) bodies get knocked a lot in comparison to the earlier bodies, because they aren't as smooth (steel gears vs brass) or quite as ornate, as the older models. But these are incredibly tough cameras. The M6 may not be as pretty as an M2 or M4, but it's polished where it counts.

And you get TTL metering and flash support to boot. As a matter of fact the M6ttl is probably the most sophisticated of all mechanical M bodies. It's the only all mechanical M body with TTL metering and flash support. Leica removed TTL flash metering from the MP. The M7 supports TTL flash metering, but obviously is dependent on battery power to fire the shutter (the M6ttl needs a battery for the meter only).

I really only have two complaints about the camera.

First off you need to get the flare fix applied to the RF unit, so the patch doesn't white out with bright lights at 1:00 o'clock. This is a simple upgrade and well worth the money.

Second, the .7m framelines suck in terms of framing accuracy for anything longer than a 35mm. But I'm looking in to having a 1 meter frameline mask from an MP3 installed. That would make framing as accurate as the M2/M4/M5/M4-2 and most M4-P cameras.

I'm not in love with of the black anodized finish (black paint is nicer...) or the magnesium alloy top plate (brass is nicer), but I guess you can't have everything...

Anyhow, it's a great camera and is probably be the last thing on earth I would sell.

Edited by thrid

Just got my first leica m6 + 35mm cron ASPH last week. Still learning...

I am switching over from canon 1d mark 3, I am wondering if there are any must have accessories for the m6?

thanks

Oh yes! Just check out the many, many threads on bags and straps. Then Luigi half cases then soft release colours, then the covering alternatives. Must haves, probably not except the lust for more lenses and bodies that comes with the territory.

That's a beautiful shot, I really like the blacks and how much colour is actually there in the blacks.

What lens did you use? Is that a wide open Noctilux - I would be interested to know.

Best

Paul Hampson

Sigma 30/1.4 @ f2.8 + Nikon D90

• 2 weeks later...

my newly recovered m6ttl with a new to me elmar

• Like 1