I Love My M6!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Guys, I've got a bit of envy seeing all those cute Summicron 35 lenses with the rectangular hood. I wish I had the money to get one myself....

I'll admit it's cool looking, but I still say the rectangular hood (which is what I have) cuts into the viewfinder too much (for calculated composition) IMHO. I keep meaning to buy an after-market hood similar to the one for my 50mm Zeiss Planar...

and when I opted to buy a second body I thought I could load one with B&W and the other with Kodachrome but no, they are both loaded with B&W kodak Tri X Pro 400 and Ilford Pan F 50 albeit I have also started my own processing which is motivating my usage of B&W.

Discovered a great forum with lots of knowledgeable helpful members linked to processing. Come and have a look and swell the Leica numbers

Film and Darkroom User - Powered by vBulletin

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Guest maddoc2003jp

Kenneth,

... is it just me or does the take-up spool in the cut-away view of the M6 (the attachment in your post above) look like a new design having narrow slots (instead of the "tulip"-shaped version) that never made it into production ?

Gabor

Ahh now that is a cracker Kenneth. You didnt find one of those for the MP did you? I think I can see that little slot the techies were telling me about behind the RF window that leaks light down beside the tape from the DX contacts.

Never had an M6 but Im not convinced it isnt a better camera than the MP.

Guest PhotoWebb.co.uk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My first film M, a chrome M6, is arriving on Wednesday - I can hardly wait.

I have an M8 but have never had the pleasure of shooting film with my 28mm f/2.8 Elmarit, 35mm f/2 Summicron ASPH and 50mm f/1.4 Summilux ASPH.

Off to Barcelona for a long weekend on Friday morning so the timing couldn't be better.

Kenneth,

... is it just me or does the take-up spool in the cut-away view of the M6 (the attachment in your post above) look like a new design having narrow slots (instead of the "tulip"-shaped version) that never made it into production ?

Gabor

No. If you look closely, you can see the flared tines of the "tulip" sticking out through the three-spoked wheel on the baseplate that engages them. That wheel makes it behave (and look) like a slotted spool.

Interesting question, Rob. I have both and prefer the MP, but for reasons others might not share. Then again, my M6 has had a persistent light leak, while my MP is absolutely tight.

Objectively, the greatest advantage the MP enjoys is that it is much easier to focus. Get the M6's viewfinder upgraded and you've pretty much closed the gap. The M6 is lighter than the MP, which some people might consider a real advantage. The wind lever is also more comfortable. Then there's the question of whether you prefer the MP's rewind knob or the M6's rewind crank. And of course there's the covering, which on the MP is ridiculous.

As a happy M6 classic user I'd give the opinion that a custom MP (read: black chrome, different leather) is superior to a stock M6. In terms of function if you've used one you can pick either model up and work with it immediately without any surprises.

Being a black camera guy, I hate that the stock one does not come in the more resilient black chrome. That said, the viewfinder is a huge improvement IMO. And I like the MP's streamlined design in comparison, though some argue the rewind knob is slower. It feels very...solid. And the weight difference is negligible.

Just opinions. I like to repeat that because I know how worked up some of us get.

I'd never get rid of my M6, but I plan on getting an MP as a companion to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Some lovely pictures in here.

Here is one of my M6.

Yes I do love her ;)

Peter

• Like 1

Thank you,

I made the bag :) Another member of the forum and I came up with an idea for a small bag, room enough for one M with lens, spare lens and some other small stuff, this is what the result looks like :)

Peter

Looks tough and very well made.

Lovely result IMHO.

- - - :)

Some lovely pictures in here.

Here is one of my M6.

[ATTACH]130879[/ATTACH]

Yes I do love her ;)

Peter

Wow, that really is a nice bag. You could have a career in making and selling them to Leica Users...

Bigfeet

Here's another M6, with Leicavit MP:

• Like 3