Summicron 35mm ASPH vs ASPH II

PeterKKB

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I'm in the market for either to use with my M8. There are not a lot of information about the v6 unfortunately in-terms of optical performance, what I've gathered is that it's slightly sharper, some differences in color vs v5 and more rounded bokeh (due to more blades). Especially on the color rendering I've read contradicting reports (is v6 warmer?) and I'm also not sure whether there is a difference in contrast. I like the ASPH look but find it hard to decide between the two so any insights are welcome, thx

12 hours ago, Al Brown said:

The dedicated images thread for both is here. But do search the forum for more.

Thanks a lot Al, I had seen the photos, I did search the forums and also the web, generally there are very few side-by-side comparison information. Not sure if the two lenses are just too close with minor differences that might be the case, thanks again.

On 12/4/2022 at 3:29 PM, Jeff S said:

I’ve never had a need to replace my v1 35 Summicron Asph

Jeff

Thanks for your answer. I'm not debating whether one is superior vs the other just want to understand the differences. There is very little out there about it maybe they're too close, not sure. There are also some comments that v2 is less sharp:

All in all just want some clarity on whether there are differences and what those would be if someone has those insights. 

Differences discussed in links provided.  I wouldn’t worry about any reported  ‘sharpness’ differences; both superb optically, assuming good working order, proper lens/camera calibration and competent shooting and processing workflow.

Jeff