SL2S scene spectacle

Jox

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

For shows with big colored light effects
- I block the WB at 5000K, just to take advantage, from the raw raw import, of the colors desired by the director and not tempered by an Auto WB.
I got used to this with different cases and I will be in this lighting situation soon with an SL2S, for the first time.
- I chose a "priority to light areas" exposure, the "spot" measurement being too uncomfortable.

Can we think that SL2S will give the best of itself like this?

Would there be a way to turn off the upper screen, really annoying in this type of circumstance?
(MAP light assist and rear screen deactivates easily, but top screen???)

Thanks in advance...

I assume you are talking about video.

I'd choose the colour temperature by the light that best represents white with natural skin tones in such an environment and set the Kelvin accordingly. 5000K is too warm for a tungsten-lit white and a tad too cool for daylight whites, often with LEDs being higher than 5000K. But regardless, with video, Kelvin should never be AWB.

Exposure to coloured light can be challenging, often leading to overexposure. Again, I'd set the exposure to a white light that correctly defines skin tones. 

The SL2-S is a formidable little digital film camera that works like any modern log-based cinema camera. Please note that L-log is Rec2020 based and won't deliver in a Rec709 environment natural colours. You have to set up a colour-managed workflow. But when set up correctly, the SL2-S colours are best in class.

3 hours ago, Jox said:

Would there be a way to turn off the upper screen, really annoying in this type of circumstance?

No idea what you mean by an upper screen.

7 minutes ago, RG75 said:

@hansvons

By the way, to transform your Log image to rec.709 (gamma2.4 or 2.2??), do you use ACES or a wide gamut?

I personally use the Extreme Stuff ACES conversion. 

https://xtremestuff.net/product-category/aces/

Colorizer has one as well, but have not tried it:
https://colorizer.net/index.php?op=aces

Edited by Geoff C. Bassett

7 hours ago, RG75 said:

By the way, to transform your Log image to rec.709 (gamma2.4 or 2.2??), do you use ACES or a wide gamut?

Rec709 is gamma 2.4. In the case of the Leica SL2-S, ACES works well for Rec709 if you set the input transform to Rec2020 and the output transform to Rec709. That's what I do for all my projects when colour-grading them. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, hansvons said:

This ACES IDT should only add contrast to the image. Does it anything else? Asking out of curiosity.

The IDT in ACES looks like a tonal curve. Colors are the same as Leica LUT Natural rec709

It is very good, and the plugin offers exposure correction.

To me just applying Rec2020 in Aces as input transform was never accurate, this IDT Is great.

9 minutes ago, Jox said:

Thank you for your remarks.
I was talking about pictures ;)
Regarding the screen that cannot be turned off, I was talking about the small screen above: it is very annoying when you need to be discreet at night or for photo shows...

the OLED screen on top goes dark in low light. 

to answer you: NO, you can use gaffer tape