Determining Shutter Actuations on an M8

Bert and Howard,

Thank you for the information, as I got this mint condition M8 from ebay for $2500 and I think I got a fair deal. I like the way M8 takes me to do more "thinking" when I take the photo.

Thank you again!:)

Steven

• Like 1

Hello peoples: unfortunately I have to let one of my m8's go- just can't justify two of them anymore- trying to figure out the actuation but can't see the unique image ID in preview or in lightroom (mac) when I look to the EXIF. Other data is there but no HEX numbers... Just isn't there? I am sure there is another way- but if someone with better skills than me could let me know from this image I would greatly appreciate it- my guess is the thing has maybe 6500 actuation or so...

forgive the paucity of my subject matter if you can:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hello peoples: unfortunately I have to let one of my m8's go- just can't justify two of them anymore- trying to figure out the actuation but can't see the unique image ID in preview or in lightroom (mac) when I look to the EXIF. Other data is there but no HEX numbers... Just isn't there? I am sure there is another way- but if someone with better skills than me could let me know from this image I would greatly appreciate it- my guess is the thing has maybe 6500 actuation or so...

forgive the paucity of my subject matter if you can:

F54 which is 3924.

I see no actuation data in this file sorry.

Try this little app with your original DNG or JPG file.

software

Not that good as it doesn't recognize the actuation data of your file above sorry.

Jeffrey's Exif viewer can do it though.

Look for "ImageUniqueID" or "Image Unique ID" in the exif data, copy the hexadecimal number and paste it in an hexadecimal converter.

Gives F54 = 3924 as Shootist said above.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I did try Jeffrey's exif viewer first- however for the life of me I couldn't see any ImageUnique ID. There was other EXIF data there. Tried the same thing using inspector in Preview on a mac- other data was there by no image ID. Not at all sure what I did wrong- I followed instructions from the net to no avail. Tried with a DNG and a JPEG.

Thanks a million for posting the actual number guys.

I am surprised that it is such a low number- now I don't want to sell it.... but I must :-(

Edited by jaques

Jeffrey's exif viewer does show the Image Unique ID of your file, but you have to scroll down a bit to see it.

I did try Jeffrey's exif viewer first- however for the life of me I couldn't see any ImageUnique ID. There was other EXIF data there. Tried the same thing using inspector in Preview on a mac- other data was there by no image ID. Not at all sure what I did wrong- I followed instructions from the net to no avail. Tried with a DNG and a JPEG.

Thanks a million for posting the actual number guys.

I am surprised that it is such a low number- now I don't want to sell it.... but I must :-(

The imageuniqueid is not neccesarily the same as the shutter actuation count. It may look that way for many, but it is not correct if your shutter has been replaced or upgraded. The imageuniqueid was not reset when Leica upgraded M8 to the quieter M8.2/M9 shutter.

Carl

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys,

I can find neither the unique image ID nor can calculate the shutter actuation.

Can someone help me?

I have attached the image.

Your help is highly appreciated.

Many thanks and best regards,

Amod

Hi Guys,

I can find neither the unique image ID nor can calculate the shutter actuation.

Can someone help me?

I have attached the image.

Your help is highly appreciated.

Many thanks and best regards,

Amod

The image you posted has had either the IUID stripped out or your camera, for some reason, is not recording this info.

I have only seen something like this once and in that case it recorded, labeled, each image with the same IUID instead of a running count.

What program/s are you using to view/edit your M8 files?

Are you shooting JPG only with the M8?

Amod--what software are you using?

In the EXIF data of the original file, one of the fields is "Image Unique ID." That's the shutter activation count in hexadecimal.

You can use an external EXIF reader if necessary. Many commercial image processors (e.g. Photoshop) include the Image Unique ID in their reported data.

Work from your original file and just look in the EXIF data. Some of that information gets stripped out when you make a JPG from the original.

From Bridge (with PSCS4), here's part of the EXIF data from an M8 image:

The hexadecimal value 139E in the next-to-last line translates to decimal 5022, using the converter at HEXADECIMAL to BINARY conversion, HEX to Decimal converter, Hexdecimal convertor.

Edited by ho_co

My Image Unique ID reads "0000........03AA". That converts to 938 actuations. :eek: That's pitiful. I'm embarrassed. :o

When I add up the cost of my M8 (bought new), 4 Leica lenses (all coded), 2 Billingham camera bags, a Leica flash, 2 Leica eyepiece magnifiers, 3 Leica batteries, and the newer Leica charger that comes to about $11.00 or $12.00 a shot. (Okay, I did buy a bag and three of the lenses for my M6TTL but still that's expensive "photography".)

Unless my camera dies from lack of use, I guess I still have a few actuations left. ;)

• Like 1

My Image Unique ID reads "0000........03AA". That converts to 938 actuations. :eek: That's pitiful. I'm embarrassed. :o

Now go look at the unique image ID on the very first pic you shot with the camera to see how many actuations were already on the clock at that point! Subtracting that from the current number will reveal how many you have shot... :eek::)

Don't feel too badly... I have two M8 bought three years ago, and the numbers show I've made about 1100 clicks on the black one and 1800 on the chrome body. Clearly neither of us blasts away proliferously!

Now go look at the unique image ID on the very first pic you shot with the camera to see how many actuations were already on the clock at that point! Subtracting that from the current number will reveal how many you have shot... :eek::)

Don't feel too badly... I have two M8 bought three years ago, and the numbers show I've made about 1100 clicks on the black one and 1800 on the chrome body. Clearly neither of us blasts away proliferously!

Thanks! I'll do that. I've got the first one or two shots on the computer.

No, I don't blast away . . . . at least with the M8. That was mainly because I couldn't see well enough to focus. :o That has been taken care of now and I plan to use the M8 more often. :D However, the GF-1 has taken quite a few pictures.

My son told me that I don't need a formula to convert hexadecimal numbers. All I need to do is Google "0x3aa in decimal" (0 = zero) and I will get the correct number of actuations.

...My son told me that I don't need a formula to convert hexadecimal numbers. All I need to do is Google "0x3aa in decimal" (0 = zero) and I will get the correct number of actuations.

You might also like the free little program called M8-Info by Wolfram Sön, <http://www.soens.de> and there's an M9 version too.

Best,

Doug