New Voigtlander 35mm f1.5 Type I and II announced

Ba Erv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Wide open shot with the new 35/1.5 II black paint brass lens on M10-P Reporter.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Corner detail with the "butterfly" coma & astigmatism.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 12/12/2022 at 9:58 AM, Al Brown said:

Really like the funky OOF here. Maybe a hint of swirly bokeh as well? This rendering is nicely imperfect in my opinion. 

Edited by eyeheartny
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, eyeheartny said:

Really like the funky OOF here. Maybe a hint of swirly bokeh as well? This rendering is nicely imperfect in my opinion. 

If you like this you should check out the OOF highlight areas of Steel Rim and lux 35 pre-asph as well. The aberrations go bananas on the latter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Brown said:

If you like this you should check out the OOF highlight areas of Steel Rim and lux 35 pre-asph as well. The aberrations go bananas on the latter.

@Al BrownThank you for photo examples. Can yo ushare with us additional photos, maybe some portraits at ~ F2 and some architectural shots at~F4-F8. I'm wondering how is the rendering comparing to Cron 35, because the size is similar, price is lower and those extra stops to F1.5 are additional benefit for some rare low light situations that I may encounter.

Edited by Cobram

49 minutes ago, Cobram said:

@Al BrownThank you for photo examples. Can yo ushare with us additional photos, maybe some portraits at ~ F2 and some architectural shots at~F4-F8. I'm wondering how is the rendering comparing to Cron 35, because the size is similar, price is lower and those extra stops to F1.5 are additional benefit for some rare low light situations that I may encounter.

Sorry I have decided not to keep this one in favor of Steel Rim.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Al Brown said:

Sorry I have decided not to keep this one in favor of Steel Rim.

I certainly understand, after seeing your images in posts #161 and #162. You have helped me to turn my attention further away from this particular VM lens. (Not that I have anything against Voigtlander/Zeiss Cosina lenses; some of them are quite wonderfully good.)

This VM f/1.5 Nokton can certainly enable doing good work, but, it would have to compete with the Zeiss Distagon 1,4/35mm ZM, which I already have. It would be nice to have a noticeably smaller 35mm M-mount lens, for the times when compactness is desirable, but, I will keep looking at other options.

Edited by RexGig0
  • Like 2

Made a few more images before parting, to show the render. All wide open at f/1.5 on M10-R. Coded as summicron 35 ASPH. The outdoor image shows the field curvature very clearly. All in all a great little lens but just too plain (meaning lacking character) for me. That role is solely 35 ASPH cron's 😏. Got mine from the first batch at Mint & Rare in Vienna, they are Voigtlander official distributor new & used.

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Al Brown said:

All in all a great little lens but just too plain (meaning lacking character) for me. That role is solely 35 ASPH cron's

Considering price, size, weight, and IQ, is character so important? You can always add character with your style of shooting B)

Like you, I own and use the 35 Cron Asph v1 and super love it. Do you think they share some similarities? Except, of course, aesthetics and build.

I’m lucky to own (and use) a few 35’s (w/ different character B)) and render, and I believe this new 35/1.5 wouldn’t fit in the family. I don’t buy just for GAS…

1 minute ago, Dennis said:

Considering price, size, weight, and IQ, is character so important? You can always add character with your style of shooting B)

Like you, I own and use the 35 Cron Asph v1 and super love it. Do you think they share some similarities? Except, of course, aesthetics and build.

I’m lucky to own (and use) a few 35’s (w/ different character B)) and render, and I believe this new 35/1.5 wouldn’t fit in the family. I don’t buy just for GAS…

Cron 35 is somewhat different. I only see partial similarities.
As I am not collecting and hoarding Leica lenses, the "one lens to rule them all" for each focal length I have is very important to me. Of course that is impossible with 35mm and 50mm, so much good stuff, but I really tend not to keep anything I do not fall in love with.

What I am looking for in my "one to rule them all" 35mm lens:

- Character wide open but not as much as pre-asph/steel rim
- Lack of CA or minimal CA like on this 35mm/1.5 Voigt
- f/1.4
- Close focus
- Tiny

As you see distortion is not too important, nor is the weight (tiny lenses can be heavy, just like my 35 brass cron ASPH).
The closest contender to my ideal 35 lens at the moment it seems is the new 35 FLE II CF, but impossible to tell when the glitch in production (diaphragm blades falling apart, focus problems) will be fixed.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

What I am looking for in my "one to rule them all" 35mm lens:

- Character wide open but not as much as pre-asph/steel rim
- Lack of CA or minimal CA like on this 35mm/1.5 Voigt
- f/1.4
- Close focus
- Tiny

Mmm… 🤔

Or 35FLE V2 or maybe f2…. So many requirements for the perfect 35

9 hours ago, Al Brown said:

I was looking at this lens as an addition to my other 35mm lenses but now with reviews and examples rolling in I think I'll skip it or at least wait for more reviews. It looks like a solid lens but there are a few small things I don't like and they do add up. 

On 12/12/2022 at 11:58 AM, Al Brown said:

Thanks for showing the coma wide open. Did you perchance try the same shot at f2.0? The Nokton 35 f1.4 II has similar coma wide open, but is much reduced at f2.0 and hard to detect by 2.4. Of course my Summarit 35 2.5 is cleaner wide open, but I do like the rendering of these VC lenses in most dim light.

18 hours ago, TomB_tx said:

Thanks for showing the coma wide open. Did you perchance try the same shot at f2.0? The Nokton 35 f1.4 II has similar coma wide open, but is much reduced at f2.0 and hard to detect by 2.4. Of course my Summarit 35 2.5 is cleaner wide open, but I do like the rendering of these VC lenses in most dim light.

I did not try stopped down, but I am 100% sure that the coma clears up substantially very quickly.

Am 3.12.2022 um 16:16 schrieb mheine:

Maybe these can help to get a feeling for the distortion / vignette. The one with the car (distortion example) is shot on f5.6 and the "tree" shot is f2.8, the other ones are on f1.5 (vignette example). They are all edited (colors) but not corrected (vignette / distortion) and shot on the Leica M10.

And as mentioned before, the whole lens rendering / the files remind me a lot of my previously owned Distagon (high contrast, sharp, micro contrasts, vignette, colors). 

Looks like a Zeiss Lens ...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Earlier in the thread there were a few mentions of similarities to the Distagon and SummFLE but after seeing the photo in post #161 with all that coma/aberration, and others that show the slight softness at certain settings, I fail to see how this lens comes anywhere close to the Zeiss and Leica lens. Maybe just in the center?
What do you all think?

2 hours ago, haikos said:

Earlier in the thread there were a few mentions of similarities to the Distagon and SummFLE but after seeing the photo in post #161 with all that coma/aberration, and others that show the slight softness at certain settings, I fail to see how this lens comes anywhere close to the Zeiss and Leica lens. Maybe just in the center?
What do you all think?

I was waiting to see results from this. I got a 35 Summilux v2 instead.