New Voigtlander 35mm f1.5 Type I and II announced

Ba Erv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Type I in black and silver aluminum and Type II in black over brass.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Ba Erv
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ba Erv said:

If this didn’t focus to 0.5m, I would have bought one. I don’t know why there’s so much attention on making things for Leica M that lose focus coupling. It makes it a way more annoying thing when you don’t have live view… on a film camera.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, 28framelines said:

I don’t know why there’s so much attention on making things for Leica M that lose focus coupling.

Because the close focusing makes it worthwhile for the vast majority of users, i.e. everybody not using a Leica M, like Sony, Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Panasonic, Sigma and SL2 users.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 7 Stunden schrieb 28framelines:

I don’t know why there’s so much attention on making things for Leica M that lose focus coupling. It makes it a way more annoying thing when you don’t have live view… on a film camera.

I agree.

Why does Voigtländer produce lenses for a mount/system that don't work 100% with the system? I know Leica also does this, but Leica includes that kind of hard stop at 0.7m which makes the lenses usable on all Leica cameras without any problems.

I was interested in the Ultron but the fact that it doesn't have a stop / click at 0.7m made the lens a no go for me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lebanese blonde said:

I agree.

Why does Voigtländer produce lenses for a mount/system that don't work 100% with the system? I know Leica also does this, but Leica includes that kind of hard stop at 0.7m which makes the lenses usable on all Leica cameras without any problems.

I was interested in the Ultron but the fact that it doesn't have a stop / click at 0.7m made the lens a no go for me.

I have used Voigtlander lenses (35 1.2, 35 Ultron f2) for quite a while now. It’s very easy to preset to 0.7 and then work from there. You only need to do this is when you are really close to the subject.  Anyway I am sure the M12 will address this need. Otherwise why is Leica introducing close focus lenses? 

• Like 4

The "detent stop" at minimum RF distance is a nice feature - used by Nikon in their close-focus 50 for ltm Leica in the 1950s, but it's also easy just to notice when the RF image stops moving. Those of us who use .7 capable lenses on a 1-meter mfd M3 have the same situation..

1 hour ago, rramesh said:

I have used Voigtlander lenses (35 1.2, 35 Ultron f2) for quite a while now. It’s very easy to preset to 0.7 and then work from there. You only need to do this is when you are really close to the subject.  Anyway I am sure the M12 will address this need. Otherwise why is Leica introducing close focus lenses? 

Yes, and I would assume that 95% of Leica M photographers take pictures in the 1m to infinity distance range.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rramesh said:

In my experience with the 28mm Ultron II, I kept getting out of focus shots because I accidentally went past 0.7m. And that’s with a 28. I guess I’m just bad at focusing that close? Lol. My point is I shouldn’t have to worry about it to begin with.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, SoarFM said:

If it's anything like the 50mm/1.5 Heliar Classic, I'm in!

Just looking at the lens diagram it won’t be anything like the Heliar classic. This (the new 35 mm nokton) is a nine element lens with two double-sided aspherical elements. I expect performance to be about as good as the newest Leica 35 mm Summilux asph. Maybe a bit more vignetting because of the smaller E39 size. At 188 grams and with what seems to be a nicer (more usable) design, I wonder if this will render the 35 Ultron (I and II) obsolete. 

• Like 1

I’ve been sitting on the fence between getting the Ultron f2 (type1) and the Nokton f1.4 ii mc for months. I had finally convinced myself to go for the Nokton (the extra stop, classic rendering wide open, sharper more modern look stopped down: “2 lenses in one”). So, I was saving my pennies for Christmas. Now this! It looks to be a beauty. Can’t wait for the reviews. For once, maybe my prevarication and indecisiveness have paid off 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Ba Erv said:

You were too fast in trigger happy posting and not checking the specs, even though this image says “I” for the silver version it is clearly the “II”. It is a nasty mistake on the  Voigtlander PR image, but it was the first one on the rumors page 😆 so here we are. All  other images (and the specs on their website) show and say the silver lens is clearly the heavier brass version (mark II).

32 minutes ago, roelandinho said:

Just looking at the lens diagram it won’t be anything like the Heliar classic. This (the new 35 mm nokton) is a nine element lens with two double-sided aspherical elements. I expect performance to be about as good as the newest Leica 35 mm Summilux asph. Maybe a bit more vignetting because of the smaller E39 size. At 188 grams and with what seems to be a nicer (more usable) design, I wonder if this will render the 35 Ultron (I and II) obsolete. 

Interesting. How might the absence of a floating element affect performance? Any idea what this optical design is comparable to in Leica 35mm lenses? I know there was a double aspherical 35mm Leica but not sure if this is a comparable design. Curious what your thoughts are. 

51 minutes ago, eyeheartny said:

Any idea what this optical design is comparable to in Leica 35mm lenses?

Very good question. It is a double aspherical 9 elements in 6 groups design, here is a diagram from Cosina website. Let’s find a Leica equivalent - if there is one.

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, eyeheartny said:

Interesting. How might the absence of a floating element affect performance? Any idea what this optical design is comparable to in Leica 35mm lenses? I know there was a double aspherical 35mm Leica but not sure if this is a comparable design. Curious what your thoughts are. 

Hard to say, the design is totally different from the Summilux asph. The new Nokton indeed lacks the FLE but on the other hand it has 4 aspherical surfaces whereas the Summilux has only one. They are both modern designs though, so I guess they won’t be far off each other in actual image quality. 

The “double aspherical” you speak of had two aspherical surfaces and those were hand-ground, which is probably not as precise (and also terribly inefficient to produce). Image quality is about the same as the Summilux asph “pre-FLE”.  

2 hours ago, Al Brown said:

You were too fast in trigger happy posting and not checking the specs, even though this image says “I” for the silver version it is clearly the “II”. It is a nasty mistake on the  Voigtlander PR image, but it was the first one on the rumors page 😆 so here we are. All  other images (and the specs on their website) show and say the silver lens is clearly the heavier brass version (mark II).

Sorry, mom!

• Haha 4