New Voigtlander 35mm f1.5 Type I and II announced

Ba Erv

1 hour ago, Cobram said:

Me too. How do you like Summilux v2? My copy is "enough" sharp @1.7 and very sharp > @F2.8. Rendering and colors are great.

I don't understand this comment.

Isn't the reason to buy a lens at a premium of 5x+ over an equivalent CV is to be absolutely satisfied with it's performance at 1.4?

Edited by rramesh
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, rramesh said:

I don't understand this comment.

Isn't the reason to buy a lens at a premium of 5x+ over an equivalent CV is to be absolutely satisfied with it's performance at 1.4?

35mm is not my prefered focal length. Usually I use Cron 28 and Lux ASPH combo.

I was thinking to add a 35mm lens in order to experiement with this focal length (part of 2023 New Year's resolutions). My first idea was to buy 35mm Cron v3 (can be find in Europe for around 1500 EUR). I happened to find a used Summilux pre ASPH for very low price so decided to try it. I read in other threads that Lux pre ASPH is from @2.8 to @5.6 very similar to Summicron. So I pulled the triger. 

Just to be clear: My copy of Lux pre ASPH was ~40% more expensive comparing to new Nokton 1.5. So very far from 5x+ you mentioned in your post. And so far I'm very happy with the lens. @F1.7 there is no glow. BW rendering is great, colors are, IMHO and just by comparing to Nokton's online samples , more organic/subtle. But again I don't posess Nokton myself so please don't start with complaints about my nonconsistent opinion... 🙂 Just IMHO.

p.s. I saw Cosina released Ultron 75mm F1.9. I hope it is a great lens because I really wish to add a new, small, fast and reasonably priced 75mm lens to my collection.

• 2 weeks later...

Added a 39-46mm step ring as micro-lens hood along with a few 40mm O-rings to completely cover the bright chrome flange .

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, FrozenInTime said:

Added a 39-46mm step ring as micro-lens hood along with a few 40mm O-rings to completely cover the bright chrome flange .

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Do the o-rings introduce hard vignetting into the far corners, though?

37 minutes ago, logan2z said:

Interesting review of the lens here, including the special 'black nose' edition 😉

If you're going to do a review, don't be lazy and shoot only a handful of sample images. "I didn't feel it gave me anything special so I kept it put away the entire trip". OMG. Force yourself to shoot with it, at least for our benefit :)

Looking at the review, the lens size is really ideal though. While I love the lux 35 asph, I just can’t deal with its weight / length for a 35mm lens..even the new cron is too big. Pre-asph leicas had the perfect size, and it seems voigtlander can do asph designs while keeping small bodies, wished Leica would do the same : ) 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, shirubadanieru said:

Looking at the review, the lens size is really ideal though. While I love the lux 35 asph, I just can’t deal with its weight / length for a 35mm lens..even the new cron is too big. Pre-asph leicas had the perfect size, and it seems voigtlander can do asph designs while keeping small bodies, wished Leica would do the same : ) 

For a one lens 35 kit, this would make a good option. 

• Like 3

On 1/28/2023 at 7:53 AM, hdmesa said:

If you're going to do a review, don't be lazy and shoot only a handful of sample images. "I didn't feel it gave me anything special so I kept it put away the entire trip". OMG. Force yourself to shoot with it, at least for our benefit :)

He posted a follow-up video

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just got it today. And I’m impressed, build quality top notch, focus ring is as smooth as the summicron apsh I just returned (it had bad back focus issues) and image quality is super sharp, more than I expected, I would say as sharp as the Ultron 2. No back focus issues, no focus shift issues. Haven’t test field curvature but I imagine wide open it might have some but I shoot stopped down 89% of the time. Has some distortion I think and LR doesn’t have a lens profile for it yet. Overall, very impressed, will take it out for a walk tomorrow and get real world results as today I did back focus and shift focus tests.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, hdmesa said:

Makes a lot more sense now. In the last video, I thought he was saying it just didn't have a certain magic, but he actually had an issue with the midzone sharpness wide open.

This mid-zone sharpness dip is really concerning. Fred at FM shows it to be more than the Ultron 35mm ASPH, which for me had a nervous and ugly mid zone dip enough to justify selling it and replacing it with the Ultorn 28mm ASPH, which is a vast improvement over the Ultron 35mm ASPH. And something about pincushion distortion that gets me really bothered with some of Voigltander's lenses. The Nokton 35/1.5 seems so nice otherwise. Wish someone would offer a set of DNG samples. Really hard to tell much about the mid-zone otherwise. 

• Like 2

Every lens has its strengths and weaknesses. There is no perfect one at any given price point. Hence the need for continuous innovation.

Plus comparisons comes into play only if one were to or could take the same shot with multiple lenses each time to compare critically.

However this rarely happens in real life. You can only use the lens you have mounted to capture that shot at that given moment.

Having used this lens for a couple of months now, I am pleased with it's size, rendering, colour, and smooth focus and throw for street.

Edited by rramesh
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3