Voigtlander Nokton 35mm f1.4ii or Ultron 35mm f2

colonel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

18 minutes ago, lct said:

Apo lenses will always be larger i suspect. What Ultron II are you referring to if i may ask? Mine is this Ultron 35/2 asph lens (right) and renders more or less like my Summicron 35/2 asph v1 in a smaller package. It has no focus tab, only a focus stick that one can like or hate depending on taste.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I'm referring to this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1626710-REG/voigtlander_ba351c_ultron_vintage_line_35mm.html

AFAIK, it's optically the same. But please welcome the focus tab 🙂 

Are you happy Ict with your Ultron?

• Thanks 1

April is fine, I can't wait. But May is perfect time for me.

I own>

35/2.8 ZM Biogon

50 Cron v5

TT 35/1.4

I never tried CV lenses. The idea is to get, in one move, CV 21/3.5 + VF (no idea which one) and 35/2 Ultron II and Nokton 50/1.2III

What do you think? My way to start to know Voigtlander 🤞

7 hours ago, Dennis said:

So, quick question for you guys.

What about the Nokton 1.4II (used from f/2) compared with the Ultron v1. Because they are both super small and light. But I heard that for digital M, the Ultron is better corrected.

Color Skopar 35 2.5 PII is super small. :) 

Nokton 35 1.4 MK II is still soft at corners (just near to the edges) @f2.8

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ko.Fe. said:

Nokton 35 1.4 MK II is still soft at corners (just near to the edges) @f2.8

There was a time that Leica seemed to almost  adhere to the philosophy of soft edges, it gave street photography more depth and romance 😊

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Dennis:

April is fine, I can't wait. But May is perfect time for me.

I own>

35/2.8 ZM Biogon

50 Cron v5

TT 35/1.4

I never tried CV lenses. The idea is to get, in one move, CV 21/3.5 + VF (no idea which one) and 35/2 Ultron II and Nokton 50/1.2III

What do you think? My way to start to know Voigtlander 🤞

The two Voigtlander Nokton lenses 1.4 21mm and 1.5 75mm are gems too.

Edited by anickpick

On 3/8/2021 at 6:57 PM, Dennis said:

So, quick question for you guys.

What about the Nokton 1.4II (used from f/2) compared with the Ultron v1. Because they are both super small and light. But I heard that for digital M, the Ultron is better corrected.

I haven’t tried the Ultron although I’m very very curious with version 2 and it’s modified design especially. I can tell you that after long time using the 35mm f1.4 v2 I’ve found a gorgeous balanced performing at about f2.5 (half stop above f2?) and unless I can clearly justify the need to use wide open or moving to f8 for street or those contexts, I hardly ever move it from there, it’s a sweet spot to me

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sergiomarried said:

I haven’t tried the Ultron although I’m very very curious with version 2 and it’s modified design especially. I can tell you that after long time using the 35mm f1.4 v2 I’ve found a gorgeous balanced performing at about f2.5 (half stop above f2?) and unless I can clearly justify the need to use wide open or moving to f8 for street or those contexts, I hardly ever move it from there, it’s a sweet spot to me

It's your Nokton 35/2.5 II MC ... 

Which camera you are using the lens with? Any sample to share?

My 35/2.8 Biogon for example is set at f/4, and most of the time stays there.  

15 hours ago, anickpick said:

The two Voigtlander Nokton lenses 1.4 21mm and 1.5 75mm are gems too.

I know ... There is a thread of mine where I asked for feedback on the CV 21 option, and people like both lenses, but the best IQ was for the 1.4 version. It's just so big for me. By now. I would need a 21 for the most shoot at f/8 ... But when I get another 21, the next one would probably be the Nokton. Because I'm sure it's fun wide open. 
About the 75/1.5, it's already on the wishlist 🙂 , But not for the next purchase.

I can recommend the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4II a lot! Even I have the tremendous ZEISS 35mm f1.4 Distagon, I use the Voigtlander more often because of it's size / weight / handling. To make it clear, the ZEISS is the "better" lens in every aspect and probably optical perfection but therefore a lot bigger and sometimes the flaws of the Voigtlander gives an image a nice addition. 

When stopping down, the Voigtlander get's pretty sharp, so, you get like two lens in one package:
f1.4 --> a lot of character (soft, glows, classic bokeh, lens flare, vignette, sharp center with fall-off to the edges, perfect for environmental portraiture)
f2.0 --> modern look (a lot sharper, contrasty, less vignette and sharper rendering - especially the edges, softer bokeh) 

Everything above 5.6 is very sharp, so a perfect setup for street photography. 

I'll post some random shots with the Nokton so you get a feeling for it's rendering. Some are shot with Version I but mostly Version II which is by far the better option, at least on digital Leica's.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

The images are by far sharper but thanks to the limited upload size I had to compress them (a lot). 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Dennis said:

I know ... There is a thread of mine where I asked for feedback on the CV 21 option, and people like both lenses, but the best IQ was for the 1.4 version. It's just so big for me. By now. I would need a 21 for the most shoot at f/8 ... But when I get another 21, the next one would probably be the Nokton. Because I'm sure it's fun wide open. 
About the 75/1.5, it's already on the wishlist 🙂 , But not for the next purchase.

CV 21/4 is very sharp. I can reccomend it whole-hearteadly.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mheine said:

I can recommend the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4II a lot! Even I have the tremendous ZEISS 35mm f1.4 Distagon, I use the Voigtlander more often because of it's size / weight / handling. To make it clear, the ZEISS is the "better" lens in every aspect and probably optical perfection but therefore a lot bigger and sometimes the flaws of the Voigtlander gives an image a nice addition. 

I can see. I know the Distagon, as you say, it's probably one of the best 35 IQ out there. And it's wonderful that despite that, many people prefer to use , for example, the Nokton 35/1.4 II. W/ or w/o flaws 🙂

5 hours ago, mheine said:

f2.0 --> modern look (a lot sharper, contrasty, less vignette and sharper rendering - especially the edges, softer bokeh) 

Good to know. Did you never compared it with the Ultron? I heard the Ultron has overall better IQ, but less character, to say it in a way. It's "just" a modern lens

Thank you a lot to share photos, I appreciate it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dennis said:

Did you never compared it with the Ultron? I heard the Ultron has overall better IQ, but less character, to say it in a way. It's "just" a modern lens

Define better ;). The Ultron 35/2 asph is a kind of Summicron 35/2 asph in a smaller package whereas the Nokton 35/1.4 v2 "SC" (no experience with "MC") is a modern variant of the Summilux 35/1.4 pre-asph with less softness at f/1.4 (pic below), a bit less "glow" at f/1.4 too (crop below) and less flare overall. Snaps below have been shot with a digital CL but the lens renders the same way on my M240. I have not tested it on the latter though so don't ask me how it behaves re focus shift and RF/FF issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, lct said:

The Ultron 35/2 asph is a kind of Summicron 35/2 asph in a smaller package

Nice. W/o knowing, that was exactly was I was thinking of. 

Mr. Ict, you usually don't write a lot of words (besides you have +20k posts), but they are sharp 🙏 

4 minutes ago, Cayenne said:

I thought I read there is a Voigtlander 35mm F/2 APO soon to be released...it might be worth a short wait to see what that looks like in addition to the Ultron 2 that is supposed to also come out soon I think.

Correct, in April, I guess. I'm waiting for the release of the APO and Ultron II, then I will decide. I don't know yet if Nokton is still an option for me.
Ideally, because they are not expensive and the 35 is my sweet FL spot, I would love to get two lenses: Ultron II or Nokton II MC and the APO.
Ultron II and Nokton II as light and small 35 for travel, for preferred renderings, etc. The APO a better performer and workhorse lens... But I will wait and decide soon. They are very different lenses.

11 hours ago, mheine said:

When stopping down, the Voigtlander get's pretty sharp, so, you get like two lens in one package:
f1.4 --> a lot of character (soft, glows, classic bokeh, lens flare, vignette, sharp center with fall-off to the edges, perfect for environmental portraiture)

Everything above 5.6 is very sharp, so a perfect setup for street photography. 

I'll post some random shots with the Nokton so you get a feeling for it's rendering. Some are shot with Version I but mostly Version II which is by far the better option, at least on digital Leica's.

Fully agree. I’ve used the Nokton 35 f1.4 v2 on my previous M10 and nowadays on my M10M. Both gorgeous results, probably even better character and surprising rendering perhaps on the gorgeous b&w mono sensor, don’t ask me why... 

• Like 2

I picked the Nokton because it had a proper focusing tab, was smaller and cheaper. Initially I mounted it on my Fuji X-T3 and was blown away by the results. Never hesitated to use it wide-open. Yes it gets "dreamy" and "glowy" but it's actually decently sharp in the center at f/1.4. I love this effect: not for every shot, of course, but it's glorious. The "glow" largely goes away at f/2 and contrast is fully restored at f/2.8.

Then I bought my first Leica: the M6 TTL and it's been my primary lens ever since. I think the build quality is better than anything else I have (Leica Summarit and Nikon AI-S lenses).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1