New Voigtlander 35mm f1.5 Type I and II announced

Ba Erv

This lens is a modern design so it will behave differently from the Leica steel rim. Here the Nokton 35 1.4 could be a better comparison. 

The photos seen so far point to a really good compact lens at a fraction of the price of a Summilux. 

While the M would be a better camera for this, I am seeing nice colors, minimal distortion and minimal coma. Bokeh is always subjective but I like what is rendered with the 12 blade aperture. 

Vignetting is a trade off with such a compact lens. The vignetting on this lens is reasonable and it’s fine for me as I usually add some to photos and it can always be reduced in PP. 

Edited by rramesh

Above average amounts of vignetting seems to be the norm with Voigtlander these days...

Even their Ultron 35mm and 28mm demonstrate near obnoxious levels of vignetting where I question the usefulness of the f/2 aperture.

So a 35mm f/1.5 with a 39mm aperture ring just sounds like the same recipe for vignetting with resulting cats eye like affects in the OOF regions. A pity. 

Edited by hmzimelka
  • Like 1

Just now, Dennis said:

Agree, and beau

Completely on point. I have it - the heavy chrome-on-brass unit that must be one of the most beautiful lenses Leica ever made.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dennis said:

The 35 Summicron Asph I has 39mm filter thread, but vignetting wide open it’s definitely much better than Nokton 35/1.4 II or the new 35/2 Ultron II ….

Yes but it has a max aperture of f2, not 1.4 like the Nokton.

3 hours ago, Al Brown said:

More samples from the same gentleman on his a7c, this time with a CV close focus adapter II. I see major barrel distortion.

The close focus adapter is an add-on and not part of the original lens design. Think it will change the parameters and add distortion. 

Plus I wait for the test results on an M. That way, comparisons can be more apple to apple.

Edited by rramesh
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, rramesh said:

The close focus adapter is an add-on and not part of the original lens design. Think it will change the parameters and add distortion. 

Plus I wait for the test results on an M. That way, comparisons can be more apple to apple.

Close focus adapter is just a lensless tool for M lenses to be able to focus closer on Sony cameras by extending the helicoid further… since it provides infinity it means it has absolutely no effect on distortion at that setting  where visible barrel distortion on adjacent images is strongest.

iI do agree however that the relevant results (for us Leica users) can only be obtained on a M body. They are usually better (the results) than Sony body tests for anything below 50mm. IMHO the images from M bodies will be  nicer (vignetting & edge sharpness-wise).

I received the lens (Type I) today, these are my first impressions: 
- Super lightweight
- Best Voigtländer lens build - this thing feels more solid than the lenses I owned before from Voigtländer (Nokton 35mm f1.4ii, Ultron 35mm f2 (Type I) , Nokton 50mm f1.5ii)
- It's sharp (nice micro contrasts) and the bokeh is way smoother than the f1.4 Nokton
- The aperture and focus ring are a joy to use
- No bump at 0.7m unfortunately

• Like 6

8 hours ago, mheine said:

Had the opportunity to snap a few shots after work, unfortunately it's bad weather and it was freezing cold, so nothing special.
All of these were shot on f1.5 and M10 and I have to say: This lens feels like a mini Distagon (had the lens for three years), it's impressive how sharp it is and it seems to have less purple fringing to me but I'm not a lens expert for sure. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

These are beautiful. I really didn’t want to like this lens because of the ridiculously useless 0.5m close focus (only shoot film), but damn the rendering is nice… it’s in Summilux/Distagon territory for sure in terms of rendering…

vor 30 Minuten schrieb 28framelines:

These are beautiful. I really didn’t want to like this lens because of the ridiculously useless 0.5m close focus (only shoot film), but damn the rendering is nice… it’s in Summilux/Distagon territory for sure in terms of rendering…

Thank you! And I know exactly what you mean - I wanted to have less gear and now the most interesting 35mm (to me) comes around the corner. I also wanted a compact, fast (below f2) 35mm with modern rendering without Leica price and this lens seems to be the real deal. 

I have to admit that I don‘t get below the 0.7m mark when shooting through the rangefinder because my finger automatically stops at 0.7 - 0.9m somehow - my finger position on the focus tab is the same as on other lenses I own(ed).
For below 0.7m you have to move further to the left and luckily I‘m not doing this because it feels wrong to me. 
Still: A little bump would be helpful and more secure! 

vor 46 Minuten schrieb Robert Blanko:

Could someone please confirm that it is optically inferior to the Zeiss Distagon 35/1.4? 🤔 Would save me about 1k bucks… 😁

As said: I used the Distagon before for three years and I still think that it‘s probably the better lens optically (only sharpness). If the Distagon is 100%, the new Voigtländer is maybe 98%?

But from every other aspect (close focus, weight, size, vignette) it seems that the new Voigtländer is the better option. 

To me - from just looking at the files and not pixel-peeping - I don‘t see any difference to be honest. 

But wait for detailed comparisons of course! 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2