New to Leica : Still worth jumping in CL System after discontinuation ?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I doubt they are going to retake the photo or necessarily update a third party website every time a camera is discontinued. Unfortunately Leica announced the discontinuation of the CL line and said specifically it was because of low sales, so I doubt that they will reintroduce it now, only a few years after dumping it. That does not mean the camera is bad or can no longer be used, just that it is highly unlikely they will change that decision in the near future.

Edited by Stuart Richardson

Well the announcement was only a little over a year ago, seems like longer,  but I don't think they will have changed their minds sadly.

I'm expecting my CL to keep going for a few more years, having purchased a new one early in 2022, my original from Dec 2017 had had a reasonably hard life🙂.  TL lenses have added purpose on the 61mp FpL so things aren't too bad really, though disappointment level that there will be no CL2 remains high.

Leica has revealed it has discontinued its CL and TL2 mirrorless APS-C format cameras to focus on producing full-frame cameras, The news came via an official Leica Camera AG statement that was posted on an online forum on 16 May 2022.

• Like 4

Compared to Sony, Nikon, Fuji, and Canon APS-C cameras, CL is still very compelling. 

CL is missing IBIS and AI subject detection, but its ergonomics, size/weight, and image IQ are unbeatable.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I own a CL and quite a few of the native lenses. Previously, I used an SL with manual focus M and R lenses, but arthritis in my hands made it too painful to hold the camera up to my eye while focusing, which is why I switched to the CL. I really appreciate the smaller size, lighter weight and autofocus. However, if I were starting from scratch today, I would strongly consider one of the Fuji cameras. Fuji seems committed to the APS-C format, and their lenses are reputedly very good. Still, for as long as my CL works, I expect to stick with it. Also, I have come to appreciate the TL-Summilux 35 f/1.4 as one of the finest lenses that I have ever had on any camera, so why not keep a camera that can utilize it?

Edited by robgo2
  • Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 8/3/2023 at 9:01 PM, robgo2 said:

I own a CL and quite a few of the native lenses. Previously, I used an SL with manual focus M and R lenses, but arthritis in my hands made it too painful to hold the camera up to my eye while focusing, which is why I switched to the CL. I really appreciate the smaller size, lighter weight and autofocus. However, if I were starting from scratch today, I would strongly consider one of the Fuji cameras. Fuji seems committed to the APS-C format, and their lenses are reputedly very good. Still, for as long as my CL works, I expect to stick with it. Also, I have come to appreciate the TL-Summilux 35 f/1.4 as one of the finest lenses that I have ever had on any camera, so why not keep a camera that can utilize it?

I owned the Fuji X100v for a while and quickly sold it, too many bells and whistles, photography needn't be that complicated and I didn't like the focal length.  Much prefer the CL with the Summilux 35 f1.4.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 8/4/2023 at 3:13 PM, David Cantor said:

I owned the Fuji X100v for a while and quickly sold it, too many bells and whistles, photography needn't be that complicated and I didn't like the focal length.  Much prefer the CL with the Summilux 35 f1.4.

I’m with you. I had a fuji xpro 3 and as an amazing camera as it is…it just felt like a chore to do photography. Way too many bells and whistles, too many options, etc. some people like super complicated and an abundance of options. I just like getting to the action. Ended up letting it go because it was just getting in my way, if that makes sense.

On 8/4/2023 at 7:00 AM, wda said:

I totally agree with you.  As insurance I bought a second body new and rotate them in use. Sometimes I have a prime lens on one and a zoom on the other one.

Recently returned from six weeks in France & Italy with nowt but a Q3. Worked wonderfully. However, I still like the CL when I want focal lengths outside the Q3's range - wider &/or longer. With the number of TL lenses I have, I've thought about getting a second CL, just in case something bad happens. But the prices! Used CLs are going for more than I paid for my CL new - and I have no idea what abuse the bodies have survived.

• Like 2