Using Leitz Re-loadable film cassettes with Leica M3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Having previously used my Leitz re-loadable film cassettes with my Leica IIIb and IIIg, I was curious as to whether these cassettes could be used with my Leica M3.  The M3 baseplate's "auf...zu / open...close"  mechanism appears to be designed to accommodate a cassette:  there is a gap in the circumference of the rotating disc that is of a size that would receive the 'mushroom' (if I may call it that) and fixed, triangular, tab that is located so as to act upon the locking mechanism of the cassette.  However, having introduced a cassette into the M3 I am unable to turn the "auf...zu / open...close" latch.  I have experimented with disengaging the locking pin by slightly turning the mushroom clockwise away from its 9 o'clock locked position and setting the "auf...zu / open...close" latch to engage, but to no avail. What am I doing wrong?

M3 and Leitz cassette.pdf

The original Leitz cassettes were longer than the standard commercial cassettes (which came out later than the early Leica). When the M3 was introduced Leitz designed it for the shorter commercial cassettes, so the earlier Leitz cassettes would not fit. So they introduced the shorter IXMOO cassettes that can be used with either the M models or the earlier ltm models.

• Thanks 1

Yes, the older cassettes are taller and only fit the screw bodies. Even so I find that some cassettes do not open in some bodies. The shorter ones are for the M cameras and have a chrome button on top and can be used in both screw and M cameras, up to the M6 when they stopped putting the cassette opening mechanism in the base plate. Some M6 cameras have the mechanism and some not.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for your responses.  I believe that my three cassettes are of the earlier, longer, type.  All are the same length and two have a "Z" marked on the 'button end'. None have a chrome  button.  Only one is stamped (also marked "Z") is stamped "Ernst Leitz Wetzlar Germany" on the base.  I shall source IXMOO cassettes, and reserve my present cassettes for my screw mounts cameras.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Two of the IXMOO cassettes arrived today.  They were in very good condition and complete with plastic screw-top canisters.  On each the  'button' and locking spring were chromed.  Being shorter than the FILCA cassette, they fit my M3 perfectly and the baseplate latch operates as designed.  All is well. 

• Like 3

IXMOO yes on a vintage M, FILCA no.  It has to have a silver nib.  Also, on the other side IXMOO's have a notch.

You'll love them.  They're getting hard and pricey to find.  Makes the bulk loading much more enjoyable, and no worries for scratching from universal cassettes.  Over the years I've picked up quite a few.  

Edited by TheBestSLIsALeicaflex