Arca Swiss Classic L bracket

ymc226

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Does the Arca Swiss Classic L bracket work well with the M11 in terms of fitting the camera and not slipping from the camera base as indicated in a somewhat negative review from B&H Photo?

I usually use Really Right Stuff L brackets for my M9 and M10 series but with the change in base design of the M11, it is no longer an option. I emailed an inquiry regarding a M11 bracket a while ago but have not received a reply.

As a follow up question, can I use the Arca Swiss branded bracket or plates with the RRS clamps confidently?

Edited by ymc226

In early March, I saw images of RRS L-bracket mockups for M11. I hope that RRS will soon launch it.
The problem with most (all?) current tripod L-brackets is that they block access to the battery and the SD card. I expect that RRS will allow access to SD card without removal of the bracket.

32 minutes ago, IllumiGraphic said:

RRS makes great high quality stuff indeed.  However, when new camera models come out, they are slow to the party with new products.  The Chinese ones usually come out first.  

I surmise they will have one out sometime in the late summer.  

Is there a Chinese version for M11 available?

In some cases, the cheap Chinese producer must wait for RRS release before they can copy it

August?!  RRS is a machinist’s art form but they’re a joke in practical terms.  Months late and wayyy too expensive.  If you really need an L-plate for your M there are many much less costly products that will do the job just as well for a fraction of RRS’s probably-ridiculous price.  Just be sure to get one with an adjustable bottom plate attachment screw location.  I have several that would work. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 minute ago, KenTanaka said:

August?!  RRS is a machinist’s art form but they’re a joke in practical terms.  Months late and wayyy too expensive.  If you really need an L-plate for your M there are many much less costly products that will do the job just as well for a fraction of RRS’s probably-ridiculous price.  Just be sure to get one with an adjustable bottom plate attachment screw location.  I have several that would work. 

Can you share which one allows access to the battery and the release lever?

The current Arca L bracket is rather large for the M body.  Rather unwieldy.  There’s a now discontinued smaller version that fits the M rather well. I’ve never had an issue with either bracket loosening on its own but there is no anti rotation built in and if enough torque is applied it could be an issue. If you look on their website the rep for arca should be listed, he’s always been very helpful when I reach out for help.  Another option is FLM, a generic L bracket can be fabricated from a few parts and I believe there’s a few knockoffs of that design. 

• 2 weeks later...

RRS have announced their coming L-plate. Unfortunately it's not modular as the M10 one, and it includes a grip which I don't want.

I just wrote them about it and it'll be the only option they'll make. If I want a grip I'll take the leica one which fits better IMHO.

If anyone finds an L-plate by another maker I'd be interested to know ! 

https://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Leica-M11-L-Plate-plus-Grip

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, NorK said:

RRS have announced their coming L-plate. Unfortunately it's not modular as the M10 one, and it includes a grip which I don't want.

I just wrote them about it and it'll be the only option they'll make. If I want a grip I'll take the leica one which fits better IMHO.

I have always used RRS in my digital M but now seems good time to part ways..

i wish leica makes grip in silver though

9 hours ago, NorK said:

Thank you for the link, I pre-ordered it.

It has an easy access to the batter/SD-card, the only other one being Leica's grip which lacks the L component. Because of the bottom part design, the plate may not be rigid enough without the grip?

It could be an explanation indeed !

I already have the Q2 bracket which has a similar design,  it works well, but it makes a compact camera quite bulky. The small form factor is the main reason I was driven to the M.

I think I'd lose the L component to avoid a grip. Anyway I may change my mind if I don't find anything, I'm using the Arca plate that came with my tripod head, but I can't let it on as it blocks access to the battery.

I already used most of my patience waiting 5 months for my camera😄

On 6/24/2022 at 9:34 AM, NorK said:

Thanks for the info. I agree that the grip should be optional and makes it unnecessarily bulky. I did order the Arca Swiss universal L bracket and it is high quality and will work with my Arca Swiss heads/clamps. Given the greatly increased storage capacity of SD cards (I use 128 GB and just saw 400GB cards at Costco) and larger battery, access to the battery compartment is much less important.  I attached some photos of the AS universal bracket mounted.  The only thing I miss vs the RRS bracket is the hex wrench being able to be mounted on the RRS bracket itself. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by ymc226
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, ymc226 said:

Thanks for the info. I agree that the grip should be optional and makes it unnecessarily bulky. I did order the Arca Swiss universal L bracket and it is high quality and will work with my Arca Swiss heads/clamps. Given the greatly increased storage capacity of SD cards (I use 128 GB and just saw 400GB cards at Costco) and larger battery, access to the battery compartment is much less important.  I attached some photos of the AS universal bracket mounted.  The only thing I miss vs the RRS bracket is the hex wrench being able to be mounted on the RRS bracket itself. 

I am in Australia, the pictures are upside-down so technically it is correct I guess.

• Haha 4

I have preordered the RRS bracket because I use a tripod a lot, but also because the RRS bracket for the Q2 is awesome. It feels like it is actually part of the camera so if the M11 version is as good I will be happy.

My favorite tripod and plate for the M11 is from Coloradotripod.com. The plate is small and can be attached to the camera when needed using a thumbscrew. Coloradotripod is a new company that makes tripods that in my opinion are better than RRS but half the price.  

1 hour ago, KenJ said:

My favorite tripod and plate for the M11 is from Coloradotripod.com. The plate is small and can be attached to the camera when needed using a thumbscrew. Coloradotripod is a new company that makes tripods that in my opinion are better than RRS but half the price.  

Can you remove the battery with the plate on?

I use the Sirui C10 Arca plate. When used the opposite way round than usual - with the indents facing forward/back rather than on the left right side, the battery is well clear of the plate and it is just about possible to operate the battery release lever. Or at least I can but I have relatively slim fingers

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This RRS L plate is better than their M10 version. Of course the M11 base is better than the M10 baseplate. In hand, the new L plate is more comfortable too. Access to the battery is easy, but the card is a reach.  I do not miss the modularity of the RRS M10.

Jack

t