L Bracket for SL3?

Dr. G

1 hour ago, Dr. G said:

Does anyone know of an Arca Swiss L-bracket that's currently available for the SL3?  I'd love a RRS bracket, but it doesn't exist yet.

Did you contact RRS, requesting an SL3 bracket. They seem to rely on those requests to gauge the interest.

SL2 RRS modification

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dr. G said:

Looks like my dental handpieces and a diamond bur could make quick work of this.  I'll try the modification later.  

With the pin removed, does the bracket rotate at all?

I just used a regular drill bit, it is soft aluminum.  the pin comes off easily with pliers. it does not move on the camera

Am 3.4.2024 um 19:28 schrieb Dr. G:

Does anyone know of an Arca Swiss L-bracket that's currently available for the SL3?  I'd love a RRS bracket, but it doesn't exist yet.

I think this is the best l-bracket on the market, and it will probably be the last one you ever buy.

https://www.arca-shop.de/l-brackets/l-brackets-fuer-panorama/299/l-bracket-dual-base-monoballfix

https://arca-swiss-usa.com

I use this l-bracket for years with GFX, Canon, Nikon and now with Leica, and it works perfect with every camera for tethering, and the „Monoball“ is also amazing.

I ordered a NISI 'universal' L bracket for my SL3. It seems like it will be a good fit and was relatively inexpensive.

https://nisiopticsusa.com/product/nisi-pro-nlp-s-universal-adjustable-l-bracket-tripod-mount-point-at-the-front-of-the-camera-base/

Probably some weeks/months until I get my SL3 but I can try it out on my SL2-S when it arrives to see how it fits/performs. I use tripod only occassionally so wanted to keep the cost and weight down. The Arca Swiss universal looks good and gets good reviews but is quite bulky and expensive.

• Thanks 1

The Really Right Stuff universal L bracket fits great on my SL3.  https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1787735-REG/really_right_stuff_rrs_9000194_mc_ls_multi_camera_l_set.html

Also, I'm super happy with the Peak Design Clip and the Arca Swiss tripod plate. I have the Colorado Aspen Ballhead, which allows me to position the camera at any angle on the tripod, so I'm not missing the RRS SL3 bracket yet. I'm going on a photo workshop this Monday in Patagonia and I'll compare using a bracket vs a ball head that pivots in any direction.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2024 at 11:58 AM, hoolyproductions said:

I ordered a NISI 'universal' L bracket for my SL3. It seems like it will be a good fit and was relatively inexpensive.

https://nisiopticsusa.com/product/nisi-pro-nlp-s-universal-adjustable-l-bracket-tripod-mount-point-at-the-front-of-the-camera-base/

Ok so it arrived and I should have checked this more carefully - the "S" variant does not fit well due to the location of the tripod-mount screw. It is offset to one side - but the 'other' side than the SL2/3 cameras. I'll have to return it.

I got a cheap one from china or at least my friend did and he was kind enough to give to me. I would prefer not to deal with RRS any more. 

The SL3 NEEDS an L bracket of some kind as there is just not enough space on the left hand side of the camera to efficiently manage. It could be the only gripe I have about the camera and a big one to say the least. The L bracket just solves that problem. There is one thing to watch when pairing a "foreign" L bracket and that is the way it could block the flip screen. The edge of the bracket when tightened will close down on the edge of the screen making it difficult to open. The screen could possibly damage the screen if one tightens the bracket up hard. Luckily I assessed the situation prior to tightening up of the bracket. It's a trial and error thing until RRS design a bracket based on the SL3 body. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

I have switched to Atoll camera rings, which I generally prefer. I never left the RRS plates on anyway and the Atoll works better for me.

Gordon

I've never heard of Atoll camera rings. Looks interesting.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

I have switched to Atoll camera rings, which I generally prefer. I never left the RRS plates on anyway and the Atoll works better for me.

Gordon

Interesting concept.  I like that it keeps the lens as the pivot point and your perspecive doesn't change, only orientation.  

Truth be told, part of the reason I want the L bracket is so that my Ogre like fingers can fully sit on the grip of the SL3 without my little finger hanging off or curling under the edge of it.  

Edited by Dr. G

3 hours ago, Dr. G said:

Interesting concept.  I like that it keeps the lens as the pivot point and your perspecive doesn't change, only orientation.  

Truth be told, part of the reason I want the L bracket is so that my Ogre like fingers can fully sit on the grip of the SL3 without my little finger hanging off or curling under the edge of it.  

haha. I've done that too. I find the SL3 big enough, just. So maybe you win on the ogre hands competition? :)

Gordon

On 4/16/2024 at 4:07 AM, FlashGordonPhotography said:

Gordon

The C-size seems to work well for SL3, but the access to the front buttons is tight.