Post honeymoon M 11 opinions. Have re-evaluations come into play?

galleryg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Regarding image blur at 60mp:  When all else fails, there is EBIS (External Body Image Stabilization) hardware:  https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/822252-REG/Sirui_BSRP326_P_326_6_Section_Carbon_Fiber.html

Or - God forbid:  https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1328231-REG/gitzo_gt1545tus_traveler_tripod_ser_1_4s.html  (desperate circumstances and all that).

Or you can make blurred images and rail against Leica over it, which seems to be a "thing" these days.   🙄

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

vor 18 Stunden schrieb jaapv:

Look again. If used properly the software produces excellent results. I use it regularly and never had a “digital look” comment or critique. Darkroom or postprocessing has always been half the print in photography. Many poorly processed images can be seen on the Internet and forums  I always wonder why people buy fantastic gear and refuse to make the most of its quality by neglecting half of the process. 

I bought the whole set of that software due to the praise by Jaapv. And I must say that it works very well. Its worth trying.

Technology comes with trade-offs. I noticed motion blur at speeds I was previously able to handhold, such as 1/30, 1/60. However, when shooting street I am usually at 1/250 anyway, or even 1/500. And shooting landscape, I use a tripod, and unlike the SL2S, I don’t have to remember to turn off IBIS ;)

I set to 1/4x focal and max ISO 8000 and don’t look back. 

If you find yourself sad about the motion blur at 1/60, try shooting a 35 Lux wide open in the middle of the day without an ND filter. That should cheer you up!

• Like 3

There was the Real Leica Man, now we have the NR Leica Man. Definition. The NR Leica Man is a man (or a lady) spending $8k+ on a digital camera that does blurry results at 1/f or slower shutter speeds and uses proudly NR softwares to get the same plastic look as nikanopus users :D. Just kidding again but stronger than me sorry folks i love you all 😍

Edited by lct
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

Regarding image blur at 60mp:  When all else fails, there is EBIS (External Body Image Stabilization) hardware:  https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/822252-REG/Sirui_BSRP326_P_326_6_Section_Carbon_Fiber.html

Or - God forbid:  https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1328231-REG/gitzo_gt1545tus_traveler_tripod_ser_1_4s.html  (desperate circumstances and all that).

Or you can make blurred images and rail against Leica over it, which seems to be a "thing" these days.   🙄

Tish tosh. Too conventional and certainly too cheap for a true Leica man.  How about one of these?

Edited by Tailwagger
  • Haha 1

For me the honeymoon phase is still strong.

It wore off pretty quickly with my M10M from frustrations from sensor issues, lower than expected battery performance (and I didn't have high expectations) and lastly some freezing issues.

Anyways. With the M11, I was strangely disappointed with the Silver version finish which I initially had. In contrast I'm positively impressed with the black finish which I originally thought I'd dismiss as being meh (technical term 😂). Battery life has been a wonderful upgrade and the camera feels more refined and for me it doesn't feel like its in the way as much in the picture taking process. I can just go out and shoot and not have battery anxiety even with only the one battery.

As the firmware updates get rolled out, the camera becomes more and more refined. Yes, it shouldn't have had this half arsed firmware at launch, but at least Leica is working on it and it's become a great camera to use and I don't regret it even though it was an arguably irresponsible financial  purchase for me 😁 🤦🏻‍♂️

Edited by hmzimelka
  • Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am having the opposite experience to hmzimelka.

I immediately bonded with my M10M, I enjoy using it more than any camera I have owned, it makes me think and rewards me when I do.

I still have to bond with the M11.  I have the same issues many have, such as purple fringing and the stange random over exposure, however these are not things that really bother me (I can put them in the 'deal with it' bucket), what gets to me is inside my head.  The M11 is capabale of recording incredible images, and does - I find I point it at scenes where I think all the colour and detail will make an incredible image and true to what I point it at, out pops another cholocate box photo.  My fault not the cameras.  Depsite knowing this, I do it again.

I am looking forward to the honeymoon period, currently I am losing to myself in a game in my own head.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

SJZ

(There was one time I cursed the camera - that was when the card was full and I have it set to 'when card full write to hard drive'  I did not realise before it swaps over it asks if I really wanted that to happen, press to confirm, so missed a few photos that way, and then it asks after every time it goes to sleep or is turned back on.  Again I missed photos as I had not pressed the 'confirm you are sure' again and again.  Electronic shutter is silent so there is no lack of a click when it is refusing to shoot)

Edited by Sjz
Adding an example
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sjz said:

I am having the opposite experience to hmzimelka.

I immediately bonded with my M10M, I enjoy using it more than any camera I have owned, it makes me think and rewards me when I do.

I still have to bond with the M11.  I have the same issues many have, such as purple fringing and the stange random over exposure, however these are not things that really bother me (I can put them in the 'deal with it' bucket), what gets to me is inside my head.  The M11 is capabale of recording incredible images, and does - I find I point it at scenes where I think all the colour and detail will make an incredible image and true to what I point it at, out pops another cholocate box photo.  My fault not the cameras.  Depsite knowing this, I do it again.

I am looking forward to the honeymoon period, currently I am losing to myself in a game in my own head.

SJZ

(There was one time I cursed the camera - that was when the card was full and I have it set to 'when card full write to hard drive'  I did not realise before it swaps over it asks if I really wanted that to happen, press to confirm, so missed a few photos that way, and then it asks after every time it goes to sleep or is turned back on.  Again I missed photos as I had not pressed the 'confirm you are sure' again and again.  Electronic shutter is silent so there is no lack of a click when it is refusing to shoot)

If it weren't for the faulty M10M camera and Leica's inexcusable customer service I would still be with the M10M, but Leica essentially bullied me out of the M10M. 

A Monochrom is a camera I have wanted so much since my last attempt at a Monochrom in 2014... Its all a bit strange, but now that I'm with a M11 I'm happy. Ideally though I would want a perfect M10M. 

Does the M11 seriously ask whether you want to write to internal storage when the SD is full??? That is incredibly silly of Leica to implement the feature like that. WOW!

That brings me to mention to another point where Leica applied weird logic... in Drive mode, my M11 resets to Single Shot after the camera sleeps or is switched off after having used the Self-Timer drive mode. If I made a conscious decision to select a self timer drive mode, I am also capable of disabling it myself.

Its being alittle over 2 months for me with the M11 and I'm absolutely in love with it so much that I've sold my M10 and M10R because I dont think I would ever go back. 

This shot was taken handheld at 1/45 shutter with a 35mm APO lens and iso 3200. Theres no denoise done outside of lightroom, the result is better than the M10 and 10R that I've used before. Im getting high hit rates at 1/60 but occasionally if I focus more , timing my breathing and not squeezing the shutter button too hard I could shot at 1/f shutter. I almost never shot any slower than that so it doesnt really bother me to stay on 1/2f or 1/3f most of the time. 

Click on it to see the actual image, I've exported it to a resolution that facebook excepts so its pretty small.

• Like 11

5 hours ago, Sjz said:

...Electronic shutter is silent so there is no lack of a click when it is refusing to shoot...

My workaround is setting the preview to shutter press – I push and hold the shutter, and with my face still pressed against the camera, I can see the screen light up from my peripheral vision, even in bright sunlight. At night, though, I have to avoid holding the shutter down or turn preview off since the brightness of the LCD is almost blinding even on Auto.

We all need to a submit firmware request to add an optional flash in the bottom of the rangefinder window when taking a photo in electronic shutter mode – they can make the red LED readout flash some sort of icons, perhaps three squares: ■■■

7 minutes ago, Photoworks said:

funny...

that what it is now. 3 red dots

Weird, I never noticed, LOL. Joke's on me. Did that get introduced in 1.4.0.0 or was it always there? Maybe because it was three red underscore lines I didn't see it, IDK _ _ _

Did some more looking at how this works in the rangefinder. I think I didn't associate that display with the shutter since it doesn't flash on/off, it stays lit as long as I hold down the shutter. If using continuous shooting, it does flash with each shot, so why doesn't it flash on/off with single shot?

Edited by hdmesa

8 minutes ago, Photoworks said:

if you are in A mode you see the time 250, than time goes away and ... replace the time

Got it thank you but i can't seem to see anything similar in the EVF. Is that normal?

10 hours ago, hmzimelka said:

That brings me to mention to another point where Leica applied weird logic... in Drive mode, my M11 resets to Single Shot after the camera sleeps or is switched off after having used the Self-Timer drive mode. If I made a conscious decision to select a self timer drive mode, I am also capable of disabling it myself.

Must be a bug to report

this is from M11 PDF

9 hours ago, Photoworks said:

Must be a bug to report

this is from M11 PDF

This can be interpreted as "while camera is on" and not necessarily a function that stays active after power cycling the camera. However, I hope it's a bug. 

I've looked like a right dork trying recently talking some family group shots on a tripod and the interval between shots took longer than the power saving mode. The self-timer reset to single shot mode on a few occasions and I had to go back to the camera. The remote function of the app was not practical to use either.