Big Firmware Update for Leica SL2 (v.4.0) and SL2-S (v.3.0)

Leon_B.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello my FW updated successfully and have done lens updates.  I saved my profiles to the same card. Can anyone remind me how to import those profiles back please? The settings file is on the card.

Go to User Profiles in the menu, then select Manage Profiles, which is at the bottom of the list- it may have scrolled over the page. Import Profiles is then what you want. 
I’m writing this without the camera in front of me, so I hope I have it right!

Edit: D’oh - I didn’t read your second post!

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Thanks 1

I upgraded my SL2 to firmware 4.0. I found out that the Sensor Format can now be assigned to a function button. With this, I can switch from full frame to apsc and vice versa with the touch of a button. Previously, I created a profile to switch to apsc.

• Like 4

After successful update of my SL2 FW, I fitted each of my 3 SL lenses in turn and then my two TL lenses. The SL Summicrons updated to FW 3.0 and the 24-90 was unchanged. The TL 23 and 18-56 reported FW 1.1 and were unchanged. The TL 23 was actually not recognised initially and showed me the freaky fisheye full frame in the viewfinder. It worked correctly next time.

Things I learnt or relearnt along the way: This is intended to be a little light hearted.

Don’t bother readjusting the system time date until you have finished all of the lens profile updates because it resets every time . Don’t have a heart attack again when you can’t get out of time date setting . You need to part press the shutter release to get out of that menu.

Don’t bother reimporting your profiles ( thanks for reminder how) because see above!

Don’t bother trying to rename a new file out of camera, because see above!

Put that new file in the latest folder and remove  the new folder to retain file number sequence. Play will then happily display that with its changed number then the camera will happily name the next one L000001 again no matter what you do.
Because see above!
Each file number every thousand exists as multiple duplicates.  Yes I know you don’t need to rely on file number in LR but I would prefer to have the total exposure reminder that used to be possible with some M’s

• Like 1

On 5/10/2022 at 3:04 PM, Photoworks said:

Interesting that anyone cares about that!

So when the card is full and you put a different card that already has an image on it the numbering changes again.

Interesting that you don't care about that! 🙂

And no, when the card is full and you put a different card in (even if that card has images on it) the numbering will not change - the "right" numbering will continue...

vor 10 Stunden schrieb Psrkn:

I updated to FW3.0 on my SL2-S and my 35mm APO Summicron lense have no lag for each shot. It performed the same as before I upgraded the FW.

Are you sure? It works as before only on f 2.0. As soon as you close the aperture the lag becomes visible. At least on all my Apo's (35,50,90). Interestingly the lag gets longer the more I close the shutter i.e. much longer on f 22 as on f 4.0 for example. This is not the case with my Sigma 24-70/.28 which works as it should. With this behavior the camera is nearly worthless for my kind of shooting. Tried several resets without success.

The customer care is also really disappointing. No reply to my request for 3 days.

5 hours ago, MaGeKo said:

Are you sure? It works as before only on f 2.0. As soon as you close the aperture the lag becomes visible. At least on all my Apo's (35,50,90). Interestingly the lag gets longer the more I close the shutter i.e. much longer on f 22 as on f 4.0 for example. This is not the case with my Sigma 24-70/.28 which works as it should. With this behavior the camera is nearly worthless for my kind of shooting. Tried several resets without success.

The customer care is also really disappointing. No reply to my request for 3 days.

Are you using the new DOF preview (i.e. is there a little green "eye" logo next to your selected aperture)? If you have that on then less light is hitting the sensor as you stop down and the camera uses a longer shutter speed to compensate, leading to blurriness and perhaps what one may call lag.

vor 1 Stunde schrieb matted:

Are you using the new DOF preview (i.e. is there a little green "eye" logo next to your selected aperture)? If you have that on then less light is hitting the sensor as you stop down and the camera uses a longer shutter speed to compensate, leading to blurriness and perhaps what one may call lag.

Thanks a lot but no, I do not use DOF preview.

8 hours ago, MaGeKo said:

I'm getting this lag on my SL2-S with the APO 35 after the update, but not with the TL lenses (which didn't receive the update). Very annoying. Please let us know if you ever hear back from Leica customer care. 

1 hour ago, MaGeKo said:

Thanks a lot but no, I do not use DOF preview.

Hmmm, interesting. Given that it sounds like the same behavior, I wonder if it is a bug related to the addition of DOF preview somehow. (Like the camera is lengthening the shutter speed for EVF/LCD even though it doesn’t technically need to)

23 hours ago, Psrkn said:

I updated to FW3.0 on my SL2-S and my 35mm APO Summicron lense have no lag for each shot. It performed the same as before I upgraded the FW.

I went back and compared shooting with my elmarit-sl 24-90mm, Panasonic 70-200mm f/4, sigma 90mm f/2.8, sure enough, it is so obvious. It was lagging big time, especially, if I shot continuously 4-5 shots.

Leica, please fix your expensive lenses.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Renata said:

I'm getting this lag on my SL2-S with the APO 35 after the update, but not with the TL lenses (which didn't receive the update). Very annoying. Please let us know if you ever hear back from Leica customer care. 

Posted on another thread in this forum. I and a few others experienced a slight shutter lag feeling/sound after in my case v4.0 on the SL2 with SL prime lenses. A quick camera reset cleared the sensation and now back on track. Shutter sounds/feels back to normal after the reset. 

Edited by LBJ2
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, LBJ2 said:

Posted on another thread in this forum. I and a few others experienced a slight shutter lag feeling/sound after in my case v4.0 on the SL2 with SL prime lenses. A quick camera reset cleared the sensation and now back on track. Shutter sounds/feels back to normal after the reset. 

This is a bug that appears to affect all of the Summicron-SL lenses. Other lenses, other manufacturers not affected.

Hi, 

allways > 

https://leica-camera.com/sites/default/files/DE_SL2-S FW3.0 Release Notes.pdf

for every firmware update there is a manual. 
you can download it or order it. 
the same is true for the manual of the camera. You can order it and it’s very nice to have something on paper and study the camera while you are reading. 

cheers