40mm 2.8 Heliar aspherical VM and LTM from Voigtlander

FrozenInTime

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Tiny new versions of the 40mm f/2.8 lens have just been announced 

M mount and L39 LTM !

Due March 2022

https://www-cosina-co-jp.translate.goog/voigtlander/vm-mount/heliar-40mm-f2-8-aspherical/?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

https://www-cosina-co-jp.translate.goog/voigtlander/vm-mount/heliar-40mm-f2-8-aspherical-l-l39/?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by FrozenInTime
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Looks very promising since lenses with modest opening are neglected by Leica and also by Voigtländer up to now. The screwmount version solves the problem whether to use the frames for 35 or 50mm of the M as you can choose an adapter for either. Though using it with an LTM camera would be more interesting if Voigtländer offered a dedicated 40mm viewfinder. At the moment I cannot find any besides very rare ones e.g. for the old Contax. 

P.S.: Funny that "Leica Rumors" states the new lens was for the "L-mount" while the link is clear that it is for 39mm LTM...

Edited by UliWer
  • Like 1

A problem with using “LTM” is that it is not a a precise or official term. “Leica Screw Mount” seems to be more-widely understood, across cultures and countries. 

In the Novoflex adapter catalog, “LEI” refers to the original Leica Screw Mount. I do not know whether other entities might also use that designation.

Edited by RexGig0

That is pretty cool:-)

Yen to dollar price is currently $615 (MSRP).

Cosina has become very good at making highly tempting products.

Edited by Danner
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

want it!!!

5 hours ago, FrozenInTime said:

Tiny new versions of the 40mm f/2.8 lens have just been announced 

M mount and L39 LTM !

Due March 2022

https://www-cosina-co-jp.translate.goog/voigtlander/vm-mount/heliar-40mm-f2-8-aspherical/?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

https://www-cosina-co-jp.translate.goog/voigtlander/vm-mount/heliar-40mm-f2-8-aspherical-l-l39/?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

• Like 1

vor einer Stunde schrieb UliWer:

Voigtländer 40mm lenses usually bring up the 50mm frames of an M. Though with the LTM-version you can choose which adapter you use. 

vor einer Stunde schrieb Danner:

Article states that 50mm line are selected.

Thank you both, I see it now as well on the Cosina website 🤗

Edited by Alexander-HH

mmhhh ... from the Cosina website 🤔 

"For black paint, the mount is finished in black *1 ...

*1 The black-finished mount does not recognize the lens when used with a camera equipped with a system that reads the attached lens with a 6-bit code. Set the lens detection to OFF (AUTO for Leica M11) before use."

Edited by Alexander-HH

Same triplet design with one asph element as the Heliar 40/2.8 from 2015 seemingly. Very sharp at the centre, bit less so at edges and corners. Recalls me of my favorite Elmar-M 50/2.8 with more swirly bokeh.

Edited by lct

47 minutes ago, shirubadanieru said:

I think I'm gonna buy this lens...lol not that I need it but looks so nice! 

Me too, it's affordable.  I love a little lens, and never had a 40mm before.  The only question is VM or LTM mount.  With the M/LTM adapter, I could get 35mm frame lines and use it with my IIIf-RD as well.  Besides, it's been months since I bought a lens...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Danner said:

The only question is VM or LTM mount.  With the M/LTM adapter, I could get 35mm frame lines and use it with my IIIf-RD as well.  Besides, it's been months since I bought a lens...

I really enjoy shooting the 40mm with my iiif.  

If you can find one of the Voigtlander viewfinder, they are really good! I’d definitely recommend the ltm so that you can choose the frame lines you like. 

Really looking forwards to seeing photos made with these new 40!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Aryel said:

I really enjoy shooting the 40mm with my iiif.  

If you can find one of the Voigtlander viewfinder, they are really good! I’d definitely recommend the ltm so that you can choose the frame lines you like. 

Really looking forwards to seeing photos made with these new 40!

The rollei is one of the best lenses made for Leica too…love it but unfortunately don’t own it any longer…I use the 50mm frames to shoot a 40mm because I know it gives me a bit more than the frames say but that’s still ok, whereas the opposite (using 35mm frames) can cut some essential things that I was not expecting (and of course I can’t crop them back..but I can always crop unwanted things if needed). I also don’t think there’s a need to get an extra viewfinder for the 40mm frame lines, just using the 35 or 50 is close enough :)

• Like 2