40mm 2.8 Heliar aspherical VM and LTM from Voigtlander

FrozenInTime

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 minutes ago, Dennis said:

What is the right way to get 35mm frame lines if I want to use the VM version of the lens on an M10? Thank you!

Hello Dennis, with my 40mm VC 1.4 40mm I just live with the 50mm frame-lines knowing that there would be more image captured outside of them........I feel that if I shot with the 40mm with 35mm frame-lines I might instinctively frame too tightly without thinking and end up with less of an image than I wanted. What you don't get you can't have!..............Anyway, for me framing with a M camera isn't an exact science and I've never expected it to be so, but I'd rather the image was all there than accidentally cropped off in the shooting.

I've read somewhere that there is a easiest way to bring 35mm frame lines, w/ to change the flange. Maybe w/ an adapter, don't recall.

8 minutes ago, petermullett said:

Anyway, for me framing with a M camera isn't an exact science

Correct, I agree. But in my personal experience, w/ a 28-50mm lens range, I think I'm framing correctly. Wider or longer than this, it's not accurate as I would want. 

I adore 35mm frame lines, more than the 50. The balance between the VF coverage and the frame's size is perfect for me and my vision. So in my mind, I do prefer framing with 35mm frame lines thinking that a bit of the scene will be cropped instead of framing with 50 and discovering I have more than expected.

I would say that being very familiar with the 35mm focal length, this would be my best practice. I guess 🙂  

43 minutes ago, Dennis said:

I've read somewhere that there is a easiest way to bring 35mm frame lines, w/ to change the flange. Maybe w/ an adapter, don't recall.

Correct, I agree. But in my personal experience, w/ a 28-50mm lens range, I think I'm framing correctly. Wider or longer than this, it's not accurate as I would want. 

I adore 35mm frame lines, more than the 50. The balance between the VF coverage and the frame's size is perfect for me and my vision. So in my mind, I do prefer framing with 35mm frame lines thinking that a bit of the scene will be cropped instead of framing with 50 and discovering I have more than expected.

I would say that being very familiar with the 35mm focal length, this would be my best practice. I guess 🙂  

Sure Dennis, I get that. We all do what works for us, albeit with fingers crossed most of the time.

I've been more than pleased with the VC 28 f2 Ultron that I bought a month or so ago, Voigtlander are making some quite exceptional lenses these days. Good luck with it if you do get one.........

1 hour ago, Dennis said:

You should buy the LTM version and use the 35mm adaptor ring for the M.

1 hour ago, petermullett said:

Good luck with it if you do get one.........

Thank you! Meanwhile, I'm waiting for a 28TTA, one lens at a time. I have always been interested in the 40mm focal length as the closest to the 43mm human/normal view. I hope one day I'll try it. I never owned one. Not on the radar at the moment. But very curious.

29 minutes ago, oldwino said:

You should buy the LTM version and use the 35mm adaptor ring for the M.

Great to know, thanks. Is the LTM version RF coupled? Are there cons to buying the LTM vs. VM? No idea. I never used an LTM lens.

M240 w cv 40 2.8  200% crop @ 2.8, and full image from where the crop was taken.  Camera profile manually set to 35 pre asph cron.  ISO 1000

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Huss

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, Dennis said:

Great to know, thanks. Is the LTM version RF coupled? Are there cons to buying the LTM vs. VM? No idea. I never used an LTM lens.

Yes, it is RF coupled. LTM cameras have basically the same rangefinder system as do modern digital M cameras. It was a good technology that has lasted. 
That said, Voigtlander did make a few LTM lenses that were not RF coupled, mostly very wide angle lenses. 
With an appropriate adaptor, every LTM lens will work on any M mount camera perfectly. Some of the early Leica M mount lenses were designed as LTM, then had a factory “adaptor” attached, and they could be used on cameras with either mount. 

Wonderful images by those who have posted on the forum! The rendering reminds me of the Elmar-m 50. Both are triplets from my understanding. Low element count lenses seem to give out a pleasing character

Elmar-m 50mm 4 elements-3 groups

Heliar 40mm asph 5 elements in 3 groups

30 minutes ago, alphonse2501 said:

Put the double gauss type 40mm Summicron-C aside, I wonder how triplets lens above compare to the Sonnar HFT 40mm f2.8 from Rollei 35S?

The sonar 40mm is 5 element/4 groups similarly summicron is 6 element /4 group

https://lens-db.com/rollei-hft-sonnar-40mm-f28-2002/

Sonar 40mm

Summicron 40mm

10 hours ago, Dennis said:

What is the right way to get 35mm frame lines if I want to use the VM version of the lens on an M10? Thank you!

For a while I used the Nokton 40 on an M. I found the 50 frame lines sufficient. You can always be assured that with a 40 you will capture more and with practice you can easily judge how much. 

Anyway these days newer Ms have EVF and screens to get accurate framing. 

100% crop of the previous shot, FYR.

Another reference(mounted on M10 Monochrom).

100% crop.

Edited by Erato

First roll using MP + Acros II with Cinestill DF96 Monobath.  This lens is very contrasty - which helps with B&W film and overcast light.

Voigtlander HELIAR 40mm F2.8 Aspherical VM, M10-P, MFD

Mine came today; I got the LTM version because I mostly use a Leica IIIg. A few impressions, I've only shot one roll of film with it so far and a bunch of exposures adapted on a sony A7r IV.

• The field of view lines up right in between the 50/3.5 Heliar and the 35/2.5 Color Skopar and it's about the same field of view as the 40mm f/1.4 Nokton, and wider than the 1.2 Nokton.
  • I'm really picky about distortion and expected to find it annoying but it's not bad. There's not none but even the brick wall test looks pretty good, it's just some minor pincushion.
  • Lots of field curvature. Wide open, the plane of focus curves strongly backward away from the center of the frame, enough that it will definitely need to be compensated for when not focusing through the lens, if the subject isn't in the center.
  • There's quite a bit of light falloff in the corners below f/5.6. Easy enough to correct digitally, but it will be annoying for darkroom printing.
  • The far corners suffer a bit, especially on the Sony with it's thick filter stack, less so on film. But not terrible, and better than the 35 color skopar for instance.
  • It is contrasty and sharp in the great majority of the frame. It resists flare very well without much veiling flare or artifacts shooting toward light sources. With an extension tube it performs very nicely up close.
  • there's some lateral CA (purple fringing), it's easy to manage in lightroom, but on color slide film I think t it could be objectionable. Longitudinal CA is very mild and unobjectionable.
  • "onion rings" from the aspheric element are minimal, and defocused point sources are rendered as discs with slightly brightened edges, deforming into "lemons" toward the corners.
  • It's tiny, weighs nothing, and the ergonomics are about the same as the 35 Color-Skopar. It's a bit less weird than the collapsible Heliars in that you can twist the hood to adjust focus if you don't want to use the tab, without changing the aperture. But you still can't adjust the aperture without disturbing focus.

Edited by qqphot

Bought my Voigtländer Heliar 2.8-40mm ltm last Friday and took first photos on Leica M10-P at Constance.

•  Constance II - Minster Organ  •

•  Constance III - Wooden bicycle behind a shop window  •

•  Constance IV - Another store at dusk  •