15mm voigtlander heliar 111. Do you have it?

tappan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am intrigued by this lens and have read good things about it. May I ask your advice? Thank you. I have the newest Canon 16-35mm which gets pretty good reviews regarding distortion and flare etc. I use it on a Can 1DX mark 11 and R5. I also have an M10-P and want something wider than my 18mm SE. Thoughts on which lens (Canon vs Voigtlander) would perform sharper/better?
Thx.
Mark

I have the now discontinued 12mm III UW Heliar and am ultra satisfied, a buddy of mine bought the 15mm III and is also uber happy.
This shot was done with M10-R and 12mm/5.6 Ultra Wide Heliar ASPH wide open

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think it's a great lens, and like all Voigtländers a very nice build quality.

Here's a few examples shot during the LUF meeting in Antwerp in september 2022 (all on a M246M)

I also use the lens on my Sony cameras with an adapter, those results are fine as well.

I have no experience with the Canon lens you mention, so can't say anything how it compares to the Voigtländer.

Edited by pegelli
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The 15mm SW Heliar I on the M10r  is sharp - and colourful. (coded as TriElmar) (sorry no III!)

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

All with the 15mm Heliar III on a Leica SL2 with a Leica M to L Adapter.

• Thanks 1

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Al Brown:

Purple fringes are very prominent up to M10. That generation and later, combined with a proper coding (usually 11134 works extremely well) will eliminate purple edges in 99% of cases.

Good to know that it works well on the M11 … and analog Leicas, it was even ok on the M8, but since singable a M10 now I will sell it again.

Cheers

Tim

• Like 1

I own the original version this lens (not rangefinder coupled)and have no complaints with images shot  either on the M10 or the M11 that replaced it. What it notable to me is these older lenses seem very unhappy on Sony Full frames and consensus  opinion is it is due the the exit angle from the rear or the lens being quite acute (and film doesnt care about this.) With the thick sensor stack on the Sony compared to the Leica it appears to be significant. This phenomenon seems to affect a lot of the Voigtlander lenses. Look at the recent color skopje reviews onFred Miranda and notice just how poor the corners ar on the Sony shot examples compared to the Leica ones! 

• Like 2