2nd hand SL 50mm Lux but can't put lens filter on but selling at good price ... what to do

CodyChoi

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I discover a 2nd hand SL 50mm Lux but can't put lens filter on as the front of the lens had damaged a bit but ...  selling at good price ... what to do 

I will use this lens mainly for in and outdoor portrait and wedding alongside my 24-90mm

do you guys use lens filter? or just the lens hood will be ok?

Thank you !

24 minutes ago, CodyChoi said:

do you guys use lens filter? or just the lens hood will be ok?

I never use filters for portraits and weddings, so I think that you should be OK with just a hood. My main concern is whether the lens suffered any other damage. Be sure to test it prior to purchase, or within the return period. You should make sure that you don't have one corner that is noticeably less sharp then the others (de-centering), and that it focuses and stops-down consistently.

Thank you for the response. 

The lens is going for £2500 2nd hand cant put on filter and it may been dropped  ... and  the cheapest brand new which I can find is £3500 in the UK , that's £1000 difference between new and 2nd hand ...  Any suggestions please ?

------

I have 24-90mm & 50mm 1.4 M ( love it with the small size and IQ )and really want the SL 50mm 1.4  for pre wedding portrait for auto focus 

Will buy the 16-35mm if i can found a good deal and sell all my Nikon gear ( D750 14-24mm G, 24-70mm G, 80-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4G)... and also want a Q or Q2 in the future ... 

Thank you in advance 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would skip unless you can get it on a try-buy basis and are able to test for a few days.

Knowing Leica's prices for repairs, where it costs upwards of $350 for a simple CLA of a vanilla M lens, this can be a very expensive repair if the elements are out of alignment. Get the Panasonic L mount 50 F1.4 if you really need that wide-open look with AF. They go for $1,500-$,1600 or so in the US in used mint condition from reputable shops. It is a solid lens, built like a tank and gorgeous IQ. Yes, the Leica is a beast too, but your clients will be equally pleased with the output of either lens, though an experienced eye may still feel Leica is superior in rendering (not technical superiority). 

Edited by ravinj
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...