Will this brand ever move into the present?

John Ricard

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’ve enjoyed a few such exhibitions and talks at Leica LA.  Yes these talks seem mostly to be old Magnum style photographers (not a disparaging word here).  But, the exhibition space in LA is often occupied by new contemporary photographers using Leica, often enough with the SL camera system hardly an anachronistic system, and doing very interesting work.  Also, you might consider browsing LFI magazine.  Again, very contemporary work shown there.

For sure it’s more difficult to find the new up and comers, but they are out there, and at times Leica seems to know about them too.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2021 at 3:03 AM, adan said:

Who is relevant in today's photographic world? Do you have some suggestions for Leica?

Look at rock album sales for 2020 - it may explain which rock photographers still carry the most weight: https://wmmr.com/galleries/top-rock-albums-of-2020-billboard/

I notice even dpreview.com (digital photography review) has, in its current top dozen stories, articles on 1) the film camera Olympus wanted to build (but didn't) before the film OM cameras, and 2) a food photographer working with the collodion wet-plate process. Contemporary creative work in summed up in the Siena awards for "Best Drone Photography" (which is actually pretty nice work, but hardly Leica-relevant).

https://www.dpreview.com/

I doubt the Baby Boomers (21% of the population) are driving the nostalgia craze all by themselves. If it is a craze, and not simply responding to quality.

Rock 'n' roll really is dead, if that list is anything to go by ...

17 hours ago, IkarusJohn said:

Rock 'n' roll really is dead, if that list is anything to go by ...

Not really - it is simply not the dominant musical genre it once was (and neither is Classical/orchestral, nor Big Band, nor Swing, nor Boogie-Woogie, nor "Wall of Sound/Motown," nor Disco).

"Pop" is the current king of the hill, although even a diverse sample is not necessarily a fully-global sample. And that is something of a truism - "pop" music is, by definition, the music that is popular. ;)

https://www.statista.com/chart/15763/most-popular-music-genres-worldwide/

And the music ecosystem has changed drastically - production, distribution channels, marketing. With so many sources and genres now open-sourced, I'm not sure any one genre (or performer) will ever dominate the charts as broadly as Rock 'n Roll did in the 1950s-1980s (ish) era.

We present quite a few "garage rock" bands at our monthly art-society open house (First Fridays - which means tonight, for me). Some quite good - not a lot that are shake-the-world innovative.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ianman said:

I think that those (of us) who grew up with that music are also the last who mostly buy “albums”.

I still buy albums, but Billboard selections are not to my taste.

We’re listening a lot to Ray Charles, Aretha, Nina etc, but I also love Led Zeppelin, Velvet Underground, Nirvana, The Animals … perhaps more NME than Billboard.  I have none of the Billboard listed albums, and more to the point, I don’t think much of the covers.  Andy Warhol’s banana, Pink Floyd’s prism refraction, Ziggy Stardust, Nirvana - they are great covers.

• Like 2

On 9/24/2021 at 11:03 AM, adan said:

Who is relevant in today's photographic world? Do you have some suggestions for Leica?

I don't spend a lot of time looking at the work of other photographers.  (This is sort of a shame, because I'm aware that this lack of knowledge of what other photographers had done historically, had definitely hurt my photography in the 2,000s when I was shooting a lot of music artists.). One photographer I would point out is Ruddy Roye, a NYC based street photographer. His work is stunning.  His IG is: https://www.instagram.com/ruddyroye/. When I met him on the street years ago, he was shooting with an M240.  A few years later he became a Fuji Ambassador.  I ran into him in a camera store and he was telling me how Leica had never cared about the work he was doing.  A year or so after that, I noticed he was shooting Leica again and I've seen Leica showcase him on several of their You Tube broadcasts.  I don't know what his actual relationship with the brand is.   If Leica has photographers of his talent and work ethic using their gear, I think they should showcase more of these people rather than constantly talking about how the brand was used decades ago.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/24/2021 at 10:03 AM, adan said:

Who is relevant in today's photographic world?

One of my photography "heroes" is John Free, and I just love his work.  He's a Nikon shooter, but he always talks about Cartier-Bronson.  For some reason he went with Nikon F3.  https://johnfreephotography.com/portfolio/

It's not a suggestion for Leica, but I just wanted to mention him.

On 9/22/2021 at 10:02 AM, John Ricard said:

I got an email from Leica yesterday that promoted an event at the Leica Store in Washington, DC USA with photographer Neal Preston.  I wasn't familiar with him but it turns out he'll be showing images and sharing stories of touring with, "rock and legends like Led Zeppelin, The Who and Queen".  Why does Leica feel the need to focus on the past so much?  Leica acts as if it was the only brand around in the 60's and 70's.  Nikon could easily boast of their legacy of photographing Woodstock, Apollo astronauts, presidents, etc, but instead they are focused on the present.  I fail to see how this obsession with Jim Marshall and the like helps brand the company as relevant in today's photographic world.

I really don’t understand your issue. You state that you’re not familiar with Preston‘s work… Really? He’s one of the most famous rock ‘n’ roll photographers in the genre, much of his work is iconic. Same thing with Jim Marshall.

By your logic, should they also ignore Cartier Bresson and Koudelka so they can stay “relevant in today’s photographic world”?

“Today’s photographic world” is dominated by camera phones. Perhaps Leica should do an exhibition of photographs of people’s meals, or selfies in front of tourist attractions?

Every single month in LFI there is a mixture of work by new photographers alongside historical work of significance. Which is exactly what they should be doing… Respecting and honoring the past of the company and the work of the people who used the tools, and showcasing work by people who are inspired by this history. Going back to the 90s I would regularly visit the Leica gallery in New York city and it was exactly the same, some exhibitions would be by “legacy” artists, others would be by new talents. Predictably, the legacy exhibitions were usually more crowded.

Pursuing a philosophy like you suggest would run the company into the ground and make them no more significant than Sony or Nikon or Canon, none of whom have anywhere near as rich a photographic legacy, neither in the work or the tools, on the level of Leica. Though they absolutely would love to.

If you don’t think they care about new work, then watch their YouTube channel and subscribe to LFI, educate yourself.

• Like 3

On 9/22/2021 at 3:02 PM, John Ricard said:

I got an email from Leica yesterday that promoted an event at the Leica Store in Washington, DC USA with photographer Neal Preston.  I wasn't familiar with him but it turns out he'll be showing images and sharing stories of touring with, "rock and legends like Led Zeppelin, The Who and Queen".  Why does Leica feel the need to focus on the past so much?  Leica acts as if it was the only brand around in the 60's and 70's.  Nikon could easily boast of their legacy of photographing Woodstock, Apollo astronauts, presidents, etc, but instead they are focused on the present.  I fail to see how this obsession with Jim Marshall and the like helps brand the company as relevant in today's photographic world.

Hi There John

I think your post is interesting as it gives one an opportunity to point out how much the opposite is the case!

Leica are still presenting the Oskar Barnack award (since 1979) This award is for a working photographer (and not necessarily shooting with Leica) with another award for a newcomer. Most of the Leica stores worldwide have a gallery attached where they have exhibitions from both old and young photographers. If you go to their headquarters in Wetzlar there are always exhibitions on - and just as often from newcomers as from old photographers. I've seen some very exciting and interesting exhibitions from younger photographers.

I just don't see other camera companies caring so much about photography generally and photographers in particular. Both heritage and current)

As for 'moving into the present'. In terms of their presentations and Blog I think I've made the point - they are very much in the present (as well as the past). 

In terms of kit . . . well, really the story is the same, the M cameras may be based on a decades old rangefinder, but the cameras themselves embrace modern technology. Then there are the SL Summicron APO lenses, which it might be argued is the best and most consistent range of modern lenses available.

Just because you've been asked to an event based on an old Rock photographer doesn't mean that's all they do.

Best

Jon

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Guest BlackBarn

Not certain it’s relevant….

but when I invite the kids or friends around I seem to blabber on about memories and what I did 50 or so years ago….mostly to do with people , places or stuff I’m proud of and…

According to the kids I repeat the stories a lot and far too often but hey ho - where would we be without our history eh? They think I’m still living in the past although I do point out I recently purchased one of those mobile iPhone 4  thingies.

13 hours ago, m410 said:

Hear, hear.  Here

With a Hear, hear here and a hear, hear there - here a hear, there a hear everywhere a hear, hear - Old MacDonald had a Leica, E I E I O!!

The Official Leica Chicken hereby decrees that this shall be the Leica theme song, to be sung at every board meeting and presentation  in Wetzlar and all Leica gallery openings.

Edited by Herr Barnack

This is a very subjective and personal topic. There are certainly more technologically-advanced cameras out there - Sony, Canon and Nikon, just to name a few. 

To me, Leica is really the antithesis of those cameras, but a camera is supposed to be a 'tool', and the photographer, artist, carpenter, etc, should pick the best tool for the task at hand. In many cases, it might not be a Leica camera. With that said, there are certain features which would be handy to have.

For my kind of photography, I would never need to use (for example) a Sony Mirrorless, although, arguably, it could very well take a better photo under a variety of conditions. I'm looking for simplicity - I learned photography the 'old fashioned' way, on manual, analog cameras.

To me, Leica is 'addition by subtraction' and as they say: "Das Wesentliche" or the essentials are what allows me to concentrate more in my photography and less on electronic 'gizmos' that distract me.

-Brad

• Like 1