Moving up to the 90-280?

Olaf_ZG

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My first L-mount lens was the panasonic 70-200/4 with 1.4 extender. I bought it to photograph my friend’s horse riding, but still more often I opt for a shorter f/l. The panasonic gives me good results.

Last year I bought the 24-90, and I am really thrilled with its look/rendering. Having decided to add a second body, I am considering the 90-280 as well, instead of the panasonic.

will this lens “blow me away” as the 24-90? Sadly I can’t rent or test. Weight and size isn’t a deciding factor, as the lens will be a purpose lens. Carried when needed.

In order to make this step I would need to sell some m-lenses, one of them the 24mm elmar. 

decisions, decisions…

2 hours ago, Olaf_ZG said:

will this lens “blow me away” as the 24-90? Sadly I can’t rent or test. Weight and size isn’t a deciding factor, as the lens will be a purpose lens. Carried when needed.

In order to make this step I would need to sell some m-lenses, one of them the 24mm elmar. 

decisions, decisions…

Absolutely it will - I strongly urge you to make the move and aquire the 90-280. Believe me when I say it's really not a difficult decision. The initial price is high, but there is no other lens that offers the image quality and usability of the 90-280 - it renders significantly better image quality than the 24-90 V.E. lens and is ( in my opinion & that of a lot of others ) in all likelihood among the very top photographic lenses of any focal length by any manufacturer.... ever. This is one of those lenses one never ever sells, takes the best care of and uses unhesitatingly, to the extent that popping it on your camera becomes second nature when the moment call for a lens of its extraordinary capabilities, knowing it will outperform any other glass .......when used appropriately. Yes, It has a definite look to it, but when the photographer's judgements, actions& skills, as well as subject, light, and all settings come together, you can rely with absolute certainty on getting images of unsurpassed quality that will be superior to any other lens of similar focal length.

I would always buy the 90-280 and own & use it as a 'primary' telephoto lens first, and only then think, budget, and philosophize about additional telephotos such as 100-400s, 150-600s ( with Leica extender(s) etc., etc., only as an addition to my tele lens repertoire for the sake of longer reach, never as a replacement for the 90-280, because you will have a generous amount of leeway to crop 90-280 images before you compromise their image quality.

The 24 Elmar M is a wonderful lens, but I respectfully submit that when you dispose of it to help nail down your tele requirements, you think of it in terms of making room for the equally superior 16-35 S.V.E.

JZG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Olaf_ZG,  I second much of what Ivan wrote in his above post.  The SL 90-280 is a stellar zoom lens with image quality that is often times stunning.  Since weight isn't an issue, perhaps the 90-280 will become a real keeper lens for you.  I would highly recommend you look at buying a used lens vs new.  Many photographers owned the 90-280 and decided to trade/sell their pristine lenses because of the weight and size along with non-use.  You will save a good amount of money as well.  You might look at the Leica Classic Store website in Vienna as a start point.  Last, I would also recommend you not sell your 24 Elmar.  There is no other lens like it, superb for landscapes and most likely there will be no Leica SL 24 prime.  Like many, you will regret selling it and replace it one day.  Better to sell a kidney rather than a Leica lens....LOL.  r/ Mark

PS  You might look at the Leica Forum SL 90-280 Image thread.  There are many excellent photographs in that thread.

Edited by LeicaR10
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

As moving up is not cheap, I went out with my p70-200/4 plus 1.4 converter. The weather was overcast, shot some landscapes and spring flowers. At the end I met my neighbors. Took some images, see below. I know they will like them, but I am not “wowed”. The child only one was shot at around 150mm. Now, may be with some more pp I could get them wow, but that is not my aim.

The upgrade is a viable option. Maybe wait a bit in order not to sacrifice the elmar. But then, I prefer my summaron…

@LeicaR10I wont buy fully new, but a demo… if I buy…

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

the upper image is slightly cropped, the lower full size. Camera sl2s

Edited by Olaf_ZG
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Went out for a walk today, photographed basically the same as last week, just to compare with the p70-200/4.

The 90-280 is more big than heavy to me, but it is really stellar. Glad I bought it.

Apple tree on the sl2s.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Olaf_ZG said:

Went out for a walk today, photographed basically the same as last week, just to compare with the p70-200/4.

The 90-280 is more big than heavy to me, but it is really stellar. Glad I bought it.

Apple tree on the sl2s.

Would love to see some horse riding samples!