SL lens wish list

IkarusJohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’ve been using the SL since its release, and it’s a camera I really like. But, like many here, I use it in parallel with my M system. A recent rationalisation saw me sell my 50 SL Summilux, 75 SL Summicron, and 90-280 and 16-35 zooms. As with most rationalisations, I’ve regretted a couple of those sales, particularly the wonderful 75 Summicron and the 16-23 zoom. 

But, I don’t want to crowd out my M system. 

I see the SL as being a camera I can use with my M lenses (21-75) and for zooms, longer lenses and AF, on the rare occasions I need it. I don’t want another ridiculously huge lens like the 90-280. I see the point, but it was so big, I rarely used it  

For myself, future lenses might be:

- perhaps another wide. I loved my 14-24 Nikkor zoom

- I might get another prime. The 75 Summicron-SL might be a candidate (for the M, I only have the Summilux), as I regret selling it, and perhaps a 35 Summicron- SL

- I would love a short and medium telephoto. A 135 Summicron-SL would be interesting and 180/2.8 is a great compromise in size and quality (my Nikkor 180/2.8 went around the World with me, and I’m not sure why I sold my Elmarit-R 180/2.8 APO)

So, what lenses are on your wishlist?

M lenses  are not able to use the functionality of a mirrorless camera and as L lenses are less size-restricted they can outperform M lenses. Fixed focal length long lenses are less popular than equivalent zooms.

• Like 1

The Sigma 14-24 DG DN performs well enough, I don’t feel a need or want for a Leica equivalent. I’m still waiting for the 21 and 24 APO SL. The 28 APO SL is fantastic.

What I’d really want is a high quality, small, compact, and light version of the Panasonic 20-60 zoom. A Leica 21-50mm f/4 would be perfect if it can be made lighter and sharper without getting bigger or heavier than 500g.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/30/2021 at 7:22 AM, IkarusJohn said:

- I would love a short and medium telephoto. A 135 Summicron-SL would be interesting and 180/2.8 is a great compromise in size and quality (my Nikkor 180/2.8 went around the World with me, and I’m not sure why I sold my Elmarit-R 180/2.8 APO)

Why don't you get the Panasonic 70-200 F4? It's a very good zoom lens, its size and weight is in line with other options, it does support the 1.4 and 2x extenders, which is a nice bonus if needed. Weight is exactly half the 90-280, 985g vs 1850g

• Like 1

Hey , 

i am working with the 50 , 1,4 / 90 2,0 / 24-90 / 90-280: 

Wenn I habe time: I use M lenses and also canon / Nikon . 

but sometimes my mind asks me: why is there no small autofocus lens with aperture ring ? A small 21 mm,  35 mm , 50 mm. 

if you could get one, would you choose it? 

or would you stick to the big sl lenses or m lenses without af? 

i bet there is a market for small sl lenses ( Leica pancakes 4 Sl) 

and I bet that people woul use it on the cl, tl, 

Are you a pancake man/woman ? 
Are there pancake pals over here? 

Imagine the summilux 1,7 on the sl2s…. 
ok I went too far, sorry for this one … 

may the dreams beginn. 

Hey AZach, 

you mean this one?

It’s the workhorse , but not the small dream lens that I am imagining. 

size ok (a little smaller pls) 

the ring is there (but it could improve) 

Speed is good 

zones (would love to see those) 

Glas is ok 

Is this your small dream lens? 
I am talking about a wish you are able to express. 

hey it’s only for fun. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

While I did my purchase on a piece of Sigma 150-600mm today, I had the chance to attach a Sigma 85mm F1.4 DG DN L-mount onto my SL2 for a short trial.

I found it nicely built. Compact and light (very similar to my SL75mm) and the AF is as fast as SL75mm.

I am tempted to get it to compliment my SL75mm. 

After my honeymoon is over with my Sigma 150-600mm, I might pick up the Sigma 85mm.

• Like 1

I truly enjoy the SL2 . But for monetary reasons I have been using it only with M Glass. ( l’m a long time M user)  The only AF lens I’ve used is the Sigma 45mm L lens. That lens is ok and handy  but it is in no way exceptional.
I have recently picked up the Leica L Vario  24-70mm 2.8. And after just a few days  using it, I can tell it will add a great deal to my enjoyment of the SL2.   I can rarely envision a time when it will be off my SL2.  I’m pleased and happy with it! The SL2 seems like a new camera to me now. 

• Like 4

No wishes here. Until recently I'd have wanted a 180 or 135mm SL lens but life took an unexpected turn and now I am fine without a telephoto lens. Just for convenience I could imagine adding a zoom like the Panasonic 20-60mm, but no real need to be honest.

On 8/30/2021 at 8:35 PM, beewee said:

What I’d really want is a high quality, small, compact, and light version of the Panasonic 20-60 zoom. A Leica 21-50mm f/4 would be perfect if it can be made lighter and sharper without getting bigger or heavier than 500g.

I would really fancy such a lens. I would like to see a 21-50 mm f2.8. It would be bigger, but this would be a great lens. Then, they could complement it with a 50-150 mm f2.8.

I also like my Leica 24-70 f2.8, I would like to see a Leica 70-200 f2.8 go complement it nicely. 

• Like 2