Airport Security White List

Ouroboros

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Heathrow finally on whitelist.  Old scanner , hand check granted for films 800 and above (which I was asked to separate). 400 and below had to go through scanner but in the Domke bag so I wasn’t worried.   The whole interaction was fairly unpleasant as expected though - the supervisor called to deal with this was rude and disinterested in humans generally.   

The good news - in the course of this interaction they mentioned that the policy on CT scanners is that everything can be handchecked regardless of ASA/ISO. Policy on old scanners is as above. 

On a separate note the Heathrow experience was generally awful and an absolute embarrassment for foreign travellers to visit (I went through 12 or so airports on this trip and it was by far the worst in all aspects). I felt sorry for overseas visitors I saw debating with disinterested staff or supervisors about various issues, which seemed to be everywhere you looked.  Will be avoiding if possible in the future ! 

• Thanks 4

Air travel is enough of a pita already, and it is poised to become even more so what with ETIAS and EES snooping coming in the next couple of years. So in the unlikely event of me flying again, I will certainly not exacerbate the situation with lead-lined bags and special treatment due to my film supplies. Why make everything even more uncomfortable/dangerous when taking one's digital camera gets around all that so easily? My motto: The less contact one has with uniformed, arms-toting, low-iq thugs, the more enjoyable the trip.

20 hours ago, JohnSmithsOtherBrother said:

Air travel is enough of a pita already, and it is poised to become even more so what with ETIAS and EES snooping coming in the next couple of years. So in the unlikely event of me flying again, I will certainly not exacerbate the situation with lead-lined bags and special treatment due to my film supplies. Why make everything even more uncomfortable/dangerous when taking one's digital camera gets around all that so easily? My motto: The less contact one has with uniformed, arms-toting, low-iq thugs, the more enjoyable the trip.

Did you ever go to an airport? It is not that bad you know… 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 months later...

Passed through Atlanta (ATL) the other week. All CT machines, but TSA officer didn't hesitate to say "sure" when I asked for a hand check. My camera was empty, so that went into the brightly colored orifice along with the rest of my bags. Hand check added about 5 minutes. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2023 at 12:47 PM, Guest said:

I found your comments about "uniformed, arms-toting, low-iq thugs" rather ignorant. Once a TSA officer from the X-Ray line came running after me in Newark. I said, "sir, is something the matter." He said, "No sir, I am so sorry, but you have a Leica M240 and I have to ask, how good is it really? I have wanted to buy an M for years." We had a lovely conversation about photography.

Have a better day and try to think more highly of other people, they may even be on this forum! 

• Thanks 1

On my last trip I pre-ordered all the film for my trip at my first destination (London). We travelled by train for the rest of the trip. Just before the end of the trip I dropped off all the rolls used for processing and retrieved them just before the flight. A couple of rolls used right at the end, plus unused rolls, went with me in a Domke for the trip home, no issues anyway. Pretty straightforward.

• Thanks 2

Travelling with film is really Russian Roulette. It can, and does, go either way. Been there done that.

Now that I am currently shooting more film than digital, I am glad I will probably never fly again.

My worst experience was flying from Morocco to Melbourne, via a stopover at Paris. At Paris, I determined later, that the Parisian 'CIA' at the behest of the Moroccan 'CIA', by slight of hand 'removed' 50 rolls of exposed film from my hand luggage. Apparently the Moroccans wanted the film to 'disappear' not on their territory. Its a long story, but that is what happened..A couple of years later, I repeated the trip, shooting digital. I still got 'examined', but had already sent files off.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/18/2023 at 4:52 AM, grahamc said:

Sydney international terminal 1 : old scanner, hand check granted seamlessly 

+1, great experience

On 6/18/2023 at 9:25 AM, grahamc said:

Auckland: absolute breeze. Bought an all blacks jersey to celebrate 

+1, also great experience

On 1/9/2024 at 10:40 PM, intermediatic said:

I found your comments about "uniformed, arms-toting, low-iq thugs" rather ignorant. Once a TSA officer from the X-Ray line came running after me in Newark. I said, "sir, is something the matter." He said, "No sir, I am so sorry, but you have a Leica M240 and I have to ask, how good is it really? I have wanted to buy an M for years." We had a lovely conversation about photography.

Have a better day and try to think more highly of other people, they may even be on this forum! 

...intermediatic, I had to re-read this post as I initially found it amusing.

It sounds like your airport experiences have been positive, and you are happy to share these. JohnSmithsOtherBrother, on the other hand, has clearly had less-than-positive interactions with airport officials (for whatever reason), and has chosen to strongly express his/her displeasure within this thread, pretty much in the same way you (and indeed, others) chose to sing flowery praises about said officials and wax lyrical about lovely conversations.

But here's the thing - why would you ask the JohnSmithsOtherBrother to ignore his/her personal experiences and "try to think more highly of other people, they may even be on this forum"? Never mind that you yourself are venturing an opinion based on your own personal experiences.

For the record, I completely relate to JohnSmithsOtherBrother's comments, but it still does not make me think other comments are ignorant. My airport film experiences have definitely been more negative than anything, and I really wish I had been keeping tabs. I long ago decided it must be down to the cut of my jib. These things happen, right? Right.😉

• 2 weeks later...