Jump to content

SL3-S - your expectations, wishes and hopes


Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

We don't know if there will be a SL3-S, but I bought the SL2-S, and I could replace it with a SL3-S, if everything fell into place.
What would you want from a SL3-S?

Some likely characteristics, after comparing the SL2-S and SL2:

  • Same body, including size, ports etc
  • Lower pixel count, giving advantages in processing of stills and video.
  • Fewer pixels releasing processing power for other things.
  • Fewer pixels allowing faster electronic read-out and better electronic shutter.

What else do you expect or want to see? After looking at the SL3, what would you want Leica to correct (especially in firmware) in the SL3-S

(I couldn't see a similar thread elsewhere - apologies if this is a repetition).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't even have a SL3, so my wishes for a SL3-S may already be present, but from what I know already, I would like:

  • Fully customisable shooting display in live view, so that I see only icons and parameters I want to see, and can eliminate the intrusive vertical bar over lapping the image.
  • Raw video. I don't need ProRes, but I am sure others would want it, and I expect it to be there.
  • 8k open gate (I don't make 8k videos, but 8k allows cropping for digital zooming in post and video stabilisation in post).
  • Recording video via USB-C to external SSD as well as to internal CFe card, allowing live swapping of media during recording.
  • Much faster read-out for the electronic shutter.
  • Yet further improved AF, which should be possible with faster processing of a reduced pixel sensor.
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

For me, SL3-S should greatly improve on auto focus for action photography, so

  • Much faster read out speed, preferably sub 10 ms
  • Much higher frame rate for AFc, preferably 10+ fps with the mechanical shutter and 25+ fps with the electronic shutter

An assumption to the above is that focus tracking and eye focus are improved; it looks like the new FW for S5ii (to be released April 22nd) is partly addressing this.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it is likely that Leica will drop a new sensor into the SL3 body design, it is good business for them and keeps the sales ticking. Either a stacked 24mp sensor (Priced accordingly) or a very fast readout one with upgraded phase detect autofocus is most likely. My hope is that Leica do not go for an increased mp count 30ish to please the spec sheet fans. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My wish list:

half MP of SL3 for best low light performance
silent mechanical shutter
fast readout speed for problem-free use of electronic shutter
AF-C performance
release date early/mid 2026 :D (I really need to keep my SL2/SL2-S combo for some time to justify the investment 🧐 )

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

SL3–S will be more of a niche camera than SL2-S, mainly for action and video shooters. For stills, SL2 is terrible for practical DR range in high contrast, somewhat moderate ISO scenes whereas SL3 is already great there. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think there will be a SL-3s (but I hope it will come) - but why: We see in the M11 and SL3 there is pixel binning. So you have a "build - in" SL-3s. In the M11 portfolio there is no M10 (24MP) - only a M11. So I think Leica will cut the s-Line, as they cut the 24MP M-Line. Not good, but what can we do? Writing here in the forum that we want a SL3-s. But will this work? It's Leicas way to minimize the portfolio and savinng costs. And -E line like the M-E or something like in R-times would be nice ... but nobody knows.

Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, TeleElmar135mm said:

I don't think there will be a SL-3s (but I hope it will come) - but why: We see in the M11 and SL3 there is pixel binning. So you have a "build - in" SL-3s. In the M11 portfolio there is no M10 (24MP) - only a M11. So I think Leica will cut the s-Line, as they cut the 24MP M-Line. Not good, but what can we do? Writing here in the forum that we want a SL3-s. But will this work? It's Leicas way to minimize the portfolio and savinng costs. And -E line like the M-E or something like in R-times would be nice ... but nobody knows.

Leica advertised the SL as a video platform quite extensively, especially given Leica and Panasonic’s lenses lineup, but the SL3 is far from being ideal for video. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

vor 14 Minuten schrieb Simone_DF:

Leica advertised the SL as a video platform quite extensively, especially given Leica and Panasonic’s lenses lineup, but the SL3 is far from being ideal for video. 

... but look at the bottom on the viewfinder - I think that's a hint that the SL3 is also build for video incl. 8K what "normal" (amateur) video user don't need. So what is missing for video in the SL3?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Simone_DF said:

Leica advertised the SL as a video platform quite extensively, especially given Leica and Panasonic’s lenses lineup, but the SL3 is far from being ideal for video. 

It's a hybrid, so unlikely ever to be ideal for video. The BM 6KCC takes stills but is crap at it. The Sigma fpL is better at stills but still pretty poor, ergonomically. It's just a question of which niche a camera can find in that increasingly interesting L-mount market occupied by Leica, Panasonic, Sigma, BM and DJI.

What do you think Leica could do to the SL3-S to make it a better hybrid, good for both stills and video?

Edited by LocalHero1953
Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, TeleElmar135mm said:

... but look at the bottom on the viewfinder - I think that's a hint that the SL3 is also build for video incl. 8K what "normal" (amateur) video user don't need. So what is missing for video in the SL3?

it has extremely bad rolling shutter so making it practically useless for any high quality professional applications unlike something like the FX3.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, sebben said:

it has extremely bad rolling shutter so making it practically useless for any high quality professional applications unlike something like the FX3.

No one buys the FX3 for stills. The SL3 and FX3 don't compete in the same market segment. I doubt Leica loses much sleep over that comparison.

 

Edited by LocalHero1953
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, LocalHero1953 said:

No one buys the FX3 for stills. The SL3 and FX3 don't compete in the same market segment. I doubt Leica loses much sleep over that comparison.

Ok, fine. Nikon Z8. Either way the SL3 isn't up to standard for professional video so if they want to compete in the field they need to bring out a better camera that addresses the issues their current professional camera has.

Link to post
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Simone_DF said:

Leica advertised the SL as a video platform quite extensively, especially given Leica and Panasonic’s lenses lineup, but the SL3 is far from being ideal for video.

I don't think that Leica would have added a timecode input on the SL3 if they didn't have a better video camera in the works.

4 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:
  • Raw video. I don't need ProRes, but I am sure others would want it, and I expect it to be there.
  • 8k open gate (I don't make 8k videos, but 8k allows cropping for digital zooming in post and video stabilisation in post).
  • Recording video via USB-C to external SSD as well as to internal CFe card, allowing live swapping of media during recording.

I vote for BlackMagic RAW over ProRes RAW. BMR provides a better workflow in post-production, plus Blackmagic is an L-mount partner, so Leica would benefit from better compatibility within the system.

There are a few use cases for 8K. The one I see most often is for single-camera interviews in vlogs. You can have one frame that covers two people, and then punch-in to a single person to improve the pacing. It's also useful for CGI/effects shots, where a matte created in 8K will almost always look better than one created in 4K.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, BernardC said:

I don't think that Leica would have added a timecode input on the SL3 if they didn't have a better video camera in the works.

I vote for BlackMagic RAW over ProRes RAW. BMR provides a better workflow in post-production, plus Blackmagic is an L-mount partner, so Leica would benefit from better compatibility within the system.

There are a few use cases for 8K. The one I see most often is for single-camera interviews in vlogs. You can have one frame that covers two people, and then punch-in to a single person to improve the pacing. It's also useful for CGI/effects shots, where a matte created in 8K will almost always look better than one created in 4K.

I agree on BRAW, since I work in Resolve, and the BM6KCC also delivers it. But providing ProRes as well would help in the market.

And for recording plays/music/dance, I like punching in from a full shot to concentrate on or follow for a while a particular performer - it works OK with the BM 6K footage.

Edited by LocalHero1953
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...