Airport Security White List

Ouroboros

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Related to the Airport Security Blacklist thread which lists airports where forum members have personally been refused a hand examination of film, this thread is a list of airports where members have received a cooperative and positive response to a request for a hand examination of photographic film by security staff. 

As with the related Blacklist, this thread also is intended as a helpful resource for anyone considering taking film through airport security. 

Please only add airports to the list where you personally have had a positive response.

To start the list: Stornoway Airport. 

8 hours ago, frame-it said:

it helps in that it forces them to check whats inside, then its upto the officer if he insists on the xray or hand checks it

It has been my experience if they refuse to hand-check, that you then you insist it goes through the x-ray machine inside the lead bag, in which case they will then hand-check it.

It's absurd, ludicrous and bizarre, but it seems to work out OK.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, frame-it said:

it helps in that it forces them to check whats inside, then its upto the officer if he insists on the xray or hand checks it

I can imagine the reaction from baggage security being presented with a lead shielded bag. The obvious question, ‘what are you trying to conceal’. I think it’s better to be honest and open with security if you really want to catch your flight. 

8 minutes ago, Steve Ricoh said:

I can imagine the reaction from baggage security being presented with a lead shielded bag. The obvious question, ‘what are you trying to conceal’. I think it’s better to be honest and open with security if you really want to catch your flight. 

and that's the main issue, but we cant blame them, since 9/11 they have to be super careful about everything

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had approx 50 rolls of 35mm hand checked at Charle De gaulle airport. They disappeared and I never saw them again! I have it on good authority that they were probably instructed by the Moroccan 'CIA' to 'intercept' my film that had been shot in Essauoira. Allegedly I had shot a clandestine night drug bust there and was interrogated in French and Moroccan, but no English. The silly thing is that I was shooting digital at the time, but they caused my analog film to be 'confiscated', which had treasured shots in the desert with my camels.

I was also informed that my films 'disappeared' on French soil so that the Moroccans could not be blamed for my loss. International cooperation at its best. 😂

Needless to say, I never travel with film anymore. The digital I can 'move around' sufficiently to keep it discreet.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, erl said:

Had approx 50 rolls of 35mm hand checked at Charle De gaulle airport. They disappeared and I never saw them again! I have it on good authority that they were probably instructed by the Moroccan 'CIA' to 'intercept' my film that had been shot in Essauoira. Allegedly I had shot a clandestine night drug bust there and was interrogated in French and Moroccan, but no English. The silly thing is that I was shooting digital at the time, but they caused my analog film to be 'confiscated', which had treasured shots in the desert with my camels.

I was also informed that my films 'disappeared' on French soil so that the Moroccans could not be blamed for my loss. International cooperation at its best. 😂

Needless to say, I never travel with film anymore. The digital I can 'move around' sufficiently to keep it discreet.

What happened to you in that encounter is absolutely disgraceful, John. So sorry you had that experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, stray cat said:

What happened to you in that encounter is absolutely disgraceful, John. So sorry you had that experience.

Subsequently, I returned to Essouira, specifically to find that agent, (but I had other agendas as well) to shoot him with digital and let him see that I had already transmitted the image. Fortunately, I couldn't find him there, otherwise I would probably still be languishing in a Moroccan jail!

• Haha 1

I am leaving to go to Australia in a few days and will leave from a small airport (Tucson)...so shouldn't have much of an issue. But I believe when you travel internationally, you still have to re'check'...(as I will in LAX), if I have carry-on...   But really, one scan of film shouldn't hurt the film. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, lmans said:

I am leaving to go to Australia in a few days and will leave from a small airport (Tucson)...so shouldn't have much of an issue. But I believe when you travel internationally, you still have to re'check'...(as I will in LAX), if I have carry-on...   But really, one scan of film shouldn't hurt the film. 

In my experience the folks at LAX are pretty accommodating with hand-checking film (see above). Which makes me wonder if it has something to do with the demands of the movie industry, where motion picture film would presumably often have to pass through there?

Edited by stray cat

Perhaps...and still does go thru there as many in the 'business' will shoot film.  I have taken film with me prior to Australia from LAX, and some from Houston and Atlanta to South America and never had an issue. Coming in to the states from Ecuador, I had an issue once where they looked over all the canisters. So I am not sweating it much this time around