Is this Hfook right?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi folks, I just bought a hfook rangefinder and I wondered if the way the foot attaches is right, as it doesn’t sit quite parallel to the camera when inserted into the cold shoe. 
is this how it’s meant to be?

thanks!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

It seems firmly in place, and turns until it reaches this position

Hello Giulio,

Welcome to the Forum.

The position that it is in in the second photo is where it is supposed to turn to so that it can swing out of the way when you need it to.

Do you have a photo of it in the camera shoe with the rangefinder turned to be used, so that we can see how offset it is when it is in its measuring position?

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

I thought just try turning the cold shoe socket.

Indeed, when mounted it ought to be parallel to camera body (not that it cannot be used with a little misalignement... but was made to be parallel) : maybe it was dismantled for maintenance (the paint looks someway renovated..is it visible the Leitz logo on the front ?) and not reassembled with proper precision : the base, as Michael noted, must swing (to operate times knob), but the angle of rotation can be even not exactly 90 degrees (but next to, anyway... rotation is needed also for storage into its own case) whilst the "zero" position is when it's mounted on the camera. 

Edited by luigi bertolotti

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On inspection it looks like the cutout on the foot that accommodates the chrome stopper ball isn’t quite lined up correctly at 90deg. It looks like it’s made of two parts but not sure if I can be turned. The top part of the rangefinder looks right. 

Right... the correct position of the swinging base is set by engaging on a small pin...

.. which is part of the pinion, secured to the body, and must be exactly in vertical position : if not parallelism is lost.

Edited by luigi bertolotti

2 minutes ago, luigi bertolotti said:

Right... the correct position of the swinging base is set by engaging on a small pin...

.. which is part of the pinion, secured to the body, and must be exactly in vertical position

This part looks to be correct.

Make yourself a pair of tongs out of wood that work in a similar way to nutcrackers or clothspin. (A spanner) No pliers or like! Otherwise it will be damaged! Hold the cylinder and rotate the lower part straight.

Edited by Reini

2 hours ago, Reini said:

Make yourself a pair of tongs out of wood that work in a similar way to nutcrackers or clothspin. (A spanner) No pliers or like! Otherwise it will be damaged! Hold the cylinder and rotate the lower part straight.

Thank you! I’ve straightened it after a small but firm twist with a lens spanner cushioned with some paper. Fits nice and straight on my camera now.

• Like 2

Maybe it can help : here are the photos from the archives of my past Fontenelle collection.

• Like 1