LEICA VARIO-ELMARIT-SL 24–70mm f/2.8 ASPH

theseus79

58 minutes ago, RoySmith said:

Does the barrel of the lens say Made in Germany, Made in Japan, or is it blank ?

I don`t know (yet) but in all likelyhood it will be Made in Japan, like most Leica TL lenses.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Jono Slack has a well documented and interesting review. For all practical purposes, the lens is almost equal to the 24-90mm in performance. This does not come as a surprise. I would be more interested in knowing if Leica has added any value to it so it can outperform the Sigma lens. I expect not.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, steveBK said:

99% sure its just a rebadged Sigma no?

Weight, filter size, elements, groups, macro magnification, min focus, etc etc

Filter size is the same (82mm) and optical design is the same. Sigma I believe has some buttons or a button (AF ON/OFF) which the Leica does not have it seems.

Edited by Ivar B
  • Like 1

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, beewee said:

It’s interesting there are some differences in the Sigma vs Leica MTF curves. Even when comparing both Sigma’s Diffraction and Geometric MTF for 10lp/mm to Leica’s computed 10lp/mm curves at f/2.8.

The MTF curves are probably more relevant that the line drawing. You can't see any micrometer differences in line drawings, or changes in glass composition, or coatings, etc. We also don't know what QC differences are applied.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ivar B said:

For all practical purposes, the lens is almost equal to the 24-90mm in performance.

So Leica proved that a Sigma is as good as its zoom.  Basically the morale of the story is, go buy the Sigma!  I did last year just as it came out and I’m glad I did.  A result of this might be a closer look at other Sigmas and Voigtlanders.:)

• Thanks 4

12 minutes ago, setuporg said:

A result of this might be a closer look at other Sigmas and Voigtlanders.:)

I have zero idea what's changed if anything in terms of R&D?, computer design?, manufacturing processes? .....but, rightly or wrongly it feels to me like the gap has narrowed a lot in recent years among many manufacturers in creating technically excellent lenses.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Jon Warwick said:

I have zero idea what's changed if anything in terms of R&D?, computer design?, manufacturing processes? .....but, rightly or wrongly it feels to me like the gap has narrowed a lot in recent years among many manufacturers in creating technically excellent lenses.

There is absolutely no doubt that you are 100 % correct.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

FWIW, I have no idea if this new lens is a re-badged Lumix or Sigma.  But I -can- say that I've been using the Sigma 24-70 2.8 on my SL2 for some time, along with Leica's 24-90 behemoth, and it's been outstanding.  Nearly a full pound lighter than the 24-90, less bulky, constant max 2.8 aperture, fast AF, excellent contract and sharpness across the frame.  Frankly, I will soon be selling my Leica 24-90; I just don't use it.  Not knocking it, just stating my own preference in this type of lens.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, setuporg said:

Probably the five Japanese guys making all these lenses and a Wetzlar guy visiting got together over some good sake.

Impossible. There is no good sake.

• Haha 2

I believe this lens will also appeal to CL owners as a viable option to the excellent 18-56.  As a matter of fact, this lens along with the 11-23 and the 55-135 and a CL will make a great travel kit.