LEICA VARIO-ELMARIT-SL 24–70mm f/2.8 ASPH

theseus79

Advertisement (gone after registration)

19 hours ago, rsh said:

I believe this lens will also appeal to CL owners as a viable option to the excellent 18-56.  As a matter of fact, this lens along with the 11-23 and the 55-135 and a CL will make a great travel kit.

As a CL user, and having owned and used the Sigma 24-70 for several months, for me the Pan 24-105 (which of course brings IS), is a better option for travel.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, setuporg said:

So Leica proved that a Sigma is as good as its zoom.  Basically the morale of the story is, go buy the Sigma!  I did last year just as it came out and I’m glad I did.  A result of this might be a closer look at other Sigmas and Voigtlanders.:)

Agree! I'm done with spending the fortunes that I've spent on Leica lenses in the past. Lens design & technology has evolved dramatically over the past few years, manufacturers like Sigma & Voigtlander are producing outstanding lenses.  

Over the past 18 months I've amassed a small arsenal of Sigma L mount lenses which I use on the SL2, so far not one has disappointed me. IQ & build quality are excellent. I'm also always banging on about the fact that many of these lenses have aperture rings, which I love. For me it involves much less fiddling around with dials & buttons on the camera.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, beewee said:

If I had to guess, I’d say Sigma is probably a bigger company in terms of revenue than Leica. They may well have more development resources than Leica as far as optics go.

Sigma is second largest sellers of optics. After Canon and before Nikon. 
Sigma is also producing everything in house : toolings, glasses, magnesium, DC motors. 
So they cut down every middle men possible and have a huge economy of scale by supporting most lens mounts. 
And everything is made in Japan at 90%. 

They are also producing ODM lenses for everybody.
Some are clones for a specific brand : Leica with the 24-70mm and Olympus with the 100-400mm. 
Some are exclusive design : Lumix S Pro 70-200mm f/4 or Olympus 75mm f/1,4. Both designed and manufactured by Sigma exclusively for Panasonic and Olympus. 

Effectively Sigma has much more ressources than Leica. 

And it is still a family business and their CEO is awesome. 

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Boojay said:

As a CL user, and having owned and used the Sigma 24-70 for several months, for me the Pan 24-105 (which of course brings IS), is a better option for travel.

You are most likely correct.  My post was aimed at those who already own the 11-23 and 55-135.

20 hours ago, setuporg said:

Now all we have to do is wait for a rebadged 28-70, which would be really great.

I think the LFI have been reading your notes and got confused ..

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Haha 1

On 5/7/2021 at 5:17 PM, nicci78 said:

Sigma is second largest sellers of optics. After Canon and before Nikon. 
Sigma is also producing everything in house : toolings, glasses, magnesium, DC motors. 
So they cut down every middle men possible and have a huge economy of scale by supporting most lens mounts. 
And everything is made in Japan at 90%. 

They are also producing ODM lenses for everybody.
Some are clones for a specific brand : Leica with the 24-70mm and Olympus with the 100-400mm. 
Some are exclusive design : Lumix S Pro 70-200mm f/4 or Olympus 75mm f/1,4. Both designed and manufactured by Sigma exclusively for Panasonic and Olympus. 

Effectively Sigma has much more ressources than Leica. 

And it is still a family business and their CEO is awesome. 

Than you for this very relevant information. I agree about the CEO - and see how prooud he is of his staff. Amazing.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ivar B said:

Than you for this very relevant information. I agree about the CEO - and see how prooud he is of his staff. Amazing.

I'm always amazed by Sigma press releases and news conferences. Unlike some other, unnamed, camera companies, they're incredibly transparent. You always know what they're doing, even if you really don't want to (like the further delay in the FF L mount Foveon...sob, sob, sob).

Am 8.5.2021 um 08:37 schrieb MediaFotografie:

and did they say  anything about the differentes betreten these two lenses??? That worldwide be quite interessting…    😉

Yes. One lens group is a bit different, different coating and build tolerance and whats most important: the lens is 100% compatible and communicating with the camera, other lenses from L-mount alliance are rather closed because the manufacturer don´t let it - Sigma opens only about 40% so the communication with the lens is not fully possible. Panasonic is here more cooperative...

And of course its a "Leica" :) just like the SL is "not" a panasonic.

It's like with Apple, still made in China but you see and feel the difference to other products the same manufacturer is building for others and the best part is the interaction between the products from Apple, so I believe the open communication between the lens and the camera is really important.

Edited by i-Leica
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

vor 48 Minuten schrieb Simone_DF:

I'd like to know more about this! Is there any documentation around?

according to the manufacturer's documents, the Leica has an additional lens with glass with abnormal dispersion (9 versus 8)

Edited by MediaFotografie
  • Thanks 2

vor 7 Stunden schrieb MediaFotografie:

according to the manufacturer's documents, the Leica has an additional lens with glass with abnormal dispersion (9 versus 😎

I really want to believe that, but the lens constructions shows the exact same build, number of lenses and groups - down to every single dent. So at least from this point of analysis it seems unlikely that there is an additional lens.

Coating could of course be, as also QA etc pp. and the overall build quality, tolerances, communication. But who knows?

I know me, and I would take the Leica over the Sigma 😂

Edited by Daniel C.1975
  • Like 2