Q for Q2 trade-in

fm13

1 hour ago, fm13 said:

Is there an official/Leica owned program to swap a Q for a Q2 (+ paying a difference)? I own a Q but really miss the weather sealing..

Pretty sure any Leica store will buy your Q and allow you to use those funds towards a Q2;  as far as a program, I am unaware of one that exists.  I will also add that what the various Leica stores will give you is 75 to 80% of what they intend to sell your used Q for...so if you have the patience, it makes more sense to sell the Q yourself and then use those funds to purchase your Q2.  

• Like 2

vor 18 Stunden schrieb Craig Clark:

I will also add that what the various Leica stores will give you is 75 to 80% of what they intend to sell your used Q for...so if you have the patience, it makes more sense to sell the Q yourself and then use those funds to purchase your Q2.  

That is correct and was my experience when i changed from Q to Q2 in August 2019
I only bought the Q because the Q2 was still not available and i went on a 4 month road trip with my caravan.
When i came back to Switzerland and went for a few days to Lake Constance just by case i found in Constance a the Leica Shop who had a in stock the Q2.
So i went ther, left my Q and went home proud and lucky with a brand new Q2.

The price they gave me for the Q was about 500$ less than if i would had raised if sold it in private.
But my experience with selling in private are not the best, so i forked over the missing amount and got happy, very happy.

Chris

Edited by PhotoCruiser
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, PhotoCruiser said:

That is correct and was my experience when i changed from Q to Q2 in August 2019
I only bought the Q because the Q2 was still not available and i went on a 4 month road trip with my caravan.
When i came back to Switzerland and went for a few days to Lake Constance just by case i found in Constance a the Leica Shop who had a in stock the Q2.
So i went ther, left my Q and went home proud and lucky with a brand new Q2.

The price they gave me for the Q was about 500$ less than if i would had raised if sold it in private.
But my experience with selling in private are not the best, so i forked over the missing amount and got happy, very happy.

Chris

admittedly I did the same thing when I bought my Q2M.  I blame it on lack of patience and the fact that I was worried that they would sell out before I could sell my camera etc.  At least thats what I told my wife.  :) 

• Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just switched from a Q to a Q2 and asked Leicastore Amsterdam the same question.... no official exchange programme; they offered me about €1500 for my Q but were very open and told me what they’d sell it for (€2500), and that I’d get more privately.

Checked with 4 online camera stores and had a range of trade in offers between €1500-€1850. Sold it privately in 2 days using the local equivalent to eBay for €2200.

If you have the time it seems better to sell privately. If you’re in a rush and prepared to forego €700/$700/£700 then trade it in. Maybe your Leicastore give a better price ?

On 1/8/2021 at 7:21 PM, HighlandK said:

If you are in the UK Ffordes are great and they offer trade in or commission sale. On the latter you get the resale value less 20%. OK you have to wait for it to sell - not really an issue with a Q - mine went in a couple of months.

Better to do commission sale to get most for your unwanted camera. Means waiting for them to sell then after an agreed delay period the sum is credited to your account. As noted above trade-in = poor deal (relatively).