Voightlander Heliar Classic 75mm 1.8 - do you have an opinion in that lens?

olegn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I want a long-focus lens to make some shots from a distance + to use it as a portrature lens + for some artistic pictures with bokeh.

While i have a 35mm and a 21mm lenses i decide that 75mm could be nice comlement for my kit. (And i tested 90mm and found it a little bit uncomfortable for me.)

Its not going to be my main lens (i think), so i dont want it to cost a lot. Plus as i understood from reviews leica's modern 75mm cron is too sharp for a close portraits (especially when you dont like too much retouching). So after some searching on internet for a lens that fits my needs i found a Voightlender 75mm 1.8 + found a good deal for it  just near my place. And i'm close to buy it, but the reviews for it are quite contradictory.

I want to ask if someone could comment my decision? Maybe there is something i should know about this lens before buying? Could it be any problems with it on my M9M, M10M and M-D?

Thanks

Edited by olegn

It is an interesting lens, based optically on Leica's own 7.3cm Hektor f/1.9 - from 1931! 6 elements in 3 groups.

The original Hektor:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

But the Heliar has modern multicoating, in addition to the small number of air/glass surfaces, so quite a lot more contrast than the 89-year-old Hektor, and generally very flare-resistant (and it is actually about 73mm - an ever-so-slightly wider view than Leica's own 75s).

Key feature - very strong curvature of field. The corners of a picture will be focused significantly in front of the center. Requires stopping down to about f/5.6-8 to get reasonable sharpness across the whole picture in the same plane. Now, that also creates more blur in large-aperture portrait background corners (they are even more out of focus), which can be a good thing. But not so good if you want across-the-picture sharpness at wider apertures.

It also lacks the Summicron's floating element, so the resolution drops a bit at closer distances. (Again, maybe good for portraits). Yet at the same time, the contrast can make even slightly-fuzzy small details/catchlights still "pop."

And the center actually is quite sharp even at f/1.8, although not quite as "steely" as the 75 APO-Summicron. The color is a bit warmer than the Summicron, as well.

The bokeh is generally soft-edged "cotton balls,"  despite the contrast.

I had one on and off over 2 years. But ultimately, for me, half the value of a 75mm is the ability to close-focus to 0.70m and frame very tightly, as the Leicas do (studio still-lifes). The Heliar Classic only gets to 0.9m or so. So I eventually got the Heliar's new "Big Brother," the 75mm f/1.5 Nokton.

But outside of those limitations, I found the Heliar f/1.8 quite copacetic to shoot. So if they don't apply to you - go for it!

Edited by adan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, adan said:

It is an interesting lens, based optically on Leica's own 7.3cm Hektor f/1.9 - from 1931! 6 elements in 3 groups.

The original Hektor:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

But the Heliar has modern multicoating, in addition to the small number of air/glass surfaces, so quite a lot more contrast than the 89-year-old Hektor, and generally very flare-resistant (and it is actually about 73mm - an ever-so-slightly wider view than Leica's own 75s).

Key feature - very strong curvature of field. The corners of a picture will be focused significantly in front of the center. Requires stopping down to about f/5.6-8 to get reasonable sharpness across the whole picture in the same plane. Now, that also creates more blur in large-aperture portrait background corners (they are even more out of focus), which can be a good thing. But not so good if you want across-the-picture sharpness at wider apertures.

It also lacks the Summicron's floating element, so the resolution drops a bit at closer distances. (Again, maybe good for portraits). Yet at the same time, the contrast can make even slightly-fuzzy small details/catchlights still "pop."

And the center actually is quite sharp even at f/1.8, although not quite as "steely" as the 75 APO-Summicron. The color is a bit warmer than the Summicron, as well.

The bokeh is generally soft-edged "cotton balls,"  despite the contrast.

I had one on and off over 2 years. But ultimately, for me, half the value of a 75mm is the ability to close-focus to 0.70m and frame very tightly, as the Leicas do (studio still-lifes). The Heliar Classic only gets to 0.9m or so. So I eventually got the Heliar's new "Big Brother," the 75mm f/1.5 Nokton.

But outside of those limitations, I found the Heliar f/1.8 quite copacetic to shoot. So if they don't apply to you - go for it!

Thank you so much. It is very helpfull review and exactly what i was looking for.