75mm lens.

NaAn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 hours ago, pippy said:

😸

… Of the 20 (covering 21mm to 135mm) only 6 are not Leica but two of those six - a LLL 35mm f2.0 '8 Element' and a 40mm f1.4 Voigtlander Nokton - are among my most frequently used lenses…

I went through the 35mm quest last year. It’s not a focal length I really understand (in terms of making the most of).  I have the Summilux pre-asph, and was struggling with it (it’s having a CLA).  I don’t have the ability to try lots of other brands, so I relied on images posted here and the generous and useful comments of members here.  That ultimately lead me to the APO Summicron (I had turned down three or four offers from the local dealer).

There’s a lot of skill on this forum, and to be honest there are many photographers far better than me who can show the best of the available lenses.  Filtering the wheat from the chaff is not so hard.  For what it’s worth, my alternative to the APO was the Distagon 35/1.4 and the Biogon 35/2.8 a close second.

Where I’ve got to is new and old in my favourite focal lengths 28 Summaron/Summilux; 35 pre-asph/APO; and 50 Summitar/Summilux ASPH/ Noctilux/APO.  I don’t use the 21 Summilux enough to bother with the SEM or any alternative, but I would like an additional 75 - I’m not a fan of the APO Summicron, and can’t justify the cost of the 75 Noctilux.  I do have a 135 Elmar, but Leica wouldn’t service it.  It’s a doorstop!

Some can rent, but that isn’t a universal option.

The main attraction of using an M for me is the camera form / haptics allied to those small, superb-performing lenses. I can't split the two parts of the process.

I do agree with this.  My comment was driven by the realisation that Leica cameras are no longer “Cameras for Life”, and that their commitment to long term support of digital cameras is limited (even their development of new M cameras is flawed - the SL release was an exception).  I have more faith in the M lenses.

But I digress.  Just had a cup of tea, and considering getting out of bed and starting the day.  The 75 Summilux is so good, I don’t need an alternative!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, IkarusJohn said:

...But I digress.  Just had a cup of tea, and considering getting out of bed and starting the day.  The 75 Summilux is so good, I don’t need an alternative!...

Digression or not; at least you have brought us back to discussing 75mm lenses and as NaAn has already made their selection...

Thanks for the very entertaining post, John; very enjoyable and informative!

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Thanks 1

Dear all,

I’ve got my lens today and it’s not a first choice. The lens never came to me, quite stressful experience from unknown company.

Now I have Summarit 2.4 seconds hand but it’s ok for me. Because I’m using vent hood it’s slightly bigger than my 50mm Summilux 1.4 

First image, looks ok 😉

Probably need to brush my cat, make a better composition, sorry for the rush.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by NaAn
  • Like 5

Quick update.

I’ve got it, I think  🙃 portrait is much more better than horizontal shot. I have to use visioflex to be more accurate and I have to say- I like 75mm lens. Beautiful bokeh, sharp enough, texture is nice.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by NaAn
  • Like 5