Adapting Nikon glass

Big John

7 hours ago, Big John said:

Anyone have experience mounting a Nikon 80-200 2.8D on their SL?  And pls recommend adapter. Thank you. 

I use adapted Nikon glass all the time on my Panasonic S1. This is the adapter to get...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1103373-REG/novoflex_let_nik_lens_mount_adapter.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI%3A514&gclid=Cj0KCQiA5vb-BRCRARIsAJBKc6IlJOcG-SibFIVzytwP6KRlZNPoZpWCVz-NIntqyngkeyOMPA_Iij0aAu9GEALw_wcB

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Donzo98 said:

This is the adapter to get...

I have the Novoflex and it works well.

But recently I had a lightbulb moment and tried something different.

Bought a Nikon→Leica M adapter on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AI-LM-Adapter-For-Nikon-AI-Mount-Lens-to-Leica-L-M-M9-M8-M7-M6-M5-TECHART-LM-EA7/183849529236?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

and then use this with the Leica M→L adapter.

The nice thing about the above Nikon→M adapter is that is has M 6-bit pits engraved onto the base.  If you paint in the code from the Leica R→M adapter (which I also have) and… you could set R lens values on the SL for the EXIF, IBIS etc.

In theory 😃  I haven't had time to paint the 6-bit pits myself.  To-do list stuff.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

One thing to remember about the novoflex adapter: There is a dial on the adapter itself that adjusts f-stops. It has no precision and basically spins from wide open to minimal aperture. The way to set a precise f stop is to use the setting on the lens itself as a minimum aperture limiter and then turn the dial on the adapter all the way to minimal setting. By the way, Photo Exifer not only writes your DMG edited file to another directory, but it corrupts it such that it will not open in Capture One Pro. With MetaImage, all the metadata that has been edited comes over fine in C1P. I haven't tried it on Lightroom though.

Edited by isleofgough
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, isleofgough said:

With MetaImage, all the metadata

I bought this app. (from the Apple App Store).  Thanks for the suggestion – looks good and will have to explore.

Meanwhile have been using "exif Editor.app" (for Mac) for years.  Works well and does not corrupt the file.  Both Lightroom and C1 inherit the new EXIF info without problems.  Even lets you change the capture date/ time.  Which is handy for DSLR scans of film.

• Like 1

I would love to see an adapter that automatically allowed IBIS as well as transferred lens and aperture data, but I doubt that is likely. Meanwhile, putting in lens data manually does improve the speed that I can shoot quite a bit.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!