Upcoming Firmware Update 2021 SL-2s (SL-2?)

MarkinVan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

From Red Dot Form Review:

Upcoming firmware features (early 2021)

New Autofocus Algorithm

Improved eye/face/head/body recognition and focus tracking

HEVC video compression

Internal 4K recording with 10-bit at 50p/60p with H.265 codec

Long-GOP – Recording 

Long-GOP for 10-bit codecs with 15-200 MB/s means same image quality as ALL-Intra but less than half the data size.

Segmented Video

Video recording will be split into 1-minute segments to avoid any potential data loss due to power failure

Individual viewing LUT

Upload function for personalized LUTs

Enhanced Live View

Better low light image composition control in live view

Image overlay

Allows alignment of the camera position on the basis of a previous taken image, that is displayed in a transparent mode in the EVF or on the LCD

Automatic Follow Focus 

Definition of three focus points for automatic focus shift during video recording

Waveform Monitor 

Professional exposure valuation of the video signal

1/3 ISO/ASA steps

Precise exposure control in Video and Cine modes

Color Bars

Reference for correct color grading and sound control in post production

Tally Mode

• Like 1

I don’t think anybody really knows for sure but it really wouldn’t make sense for Leica not to around the stills elements but perhaps they won’t include all of the video enhancements. To not include the AF enhancements in early 2021 on the SL2 would be a very unwise move in terms of PR for Leica and I suspect it would leave a sour taste for those who have invested in the flagship model and system.

If you look at Panasonic the S5 was introduced with enhanced AF and then subsequently the S1, S1R etc had the AF firmware upgrade this quarter; for Leica not to follow that process, with it’s premium pricing over those models, would be unfortunate to say the least. I don’t think anyone is expecting the AF to reach A9, A7xxx or R5 levels but i think most SL2 photographers would be happy with the S5’s improvements (and anticipated SL2-S’s) plus the many advantages that the camera already has over those models. My A9 was stunning for extreme sports or wildlife in terms of AF but I just about hated it for everything else, from menu’s to build, weather sealing, handling, the grip, relatively poor EVF etc. If the SL2 gets the SL2-S and S5 AF upgrades then I’m very happy.

Even with latest firmware upgrades S5 AF is still better and faster than S1, S1H and S1R. 
I guess that there are new hardware changes required for better AF. 
Software updates are not necessarily miraculous. They only work within the hardware constraints. 

Not sure if SL2 can manage to be faster. 
Because if SL2-S has faster sensor readout time than SL2. The 47MP variant never be able to match the 24MP one. 

Just wait and see in 2021. What will be possible for SL2. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Of course Maestro III can handle the same amount of data. So 40GB is half the amount of 80GB. 
So SL2-S has 50% of processing power to spare... let’s say... into AF speed ! 

No matter how we see things. 24MP will always provide better high ISO performance. And faster sensor read out time. DFD AF needs brute force computing. Hence faster read out and less data to process. 

On the other hand 47MP will always provide more details. 
This is just simple physics law. 

So what do you need ? 
Very high ISO + very fast AF + lots of FPS + Top notch video ? 
Or Very high pixel counts for huge prints and cropping. But slower AF,  fewer FPS and less competent video ? 

You got finally the choice. 
It is what Panasonic (24/47), Canon (20/45), Sony (24/42/60) and Nikon (24/46) are offering for years. 
You can’t have both. You need to choose. 

1 hour ago, nicci78 said:

Not sure if SL2 can manage to be faster. 
Because if SL2-S has faster sensor readout time than SL2. The 47MP variant never be able to match the 24MP one. 

True that, but most of the improvements should be able to enhance the currently poor AF performances of the SL2. Maybe not so much AF-C, but especially face/eye AF should be greatly improved (it doesn't take much...) and make the SL2 usable. 

7 hours ago, nicci78 said:

Of course Maestro III can handle the same amount of data. So 40GB is half the amount of 80GB. 
So SL2-S has 50% of processing power to spare... let’s say... into AF speed ! 

No matter how we see things. 24MP will always provide better high ISO performance. And faster sensor read out time. DFD AF needs brute force computing. Hence faster read out and less data to process. 

<snip>

Less resolution does not provide better high ISO performance by itself. Compare Nikon Z6 vs Z7:

https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Nikon Z 6,Nikon Z 7

Larger sensors typically provide better high ISO performance.

You are looking at the wrong chart  

try these. 24MP has clearly less noise than 46/47MP. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by nicci78

• 4 months later...
On 12/12/2020 at 1:32 AM, SrMi said:

Larger sensors typically provide better high ISO performance.

Larger sensors yes, but  usually not sensors of the same size with higher MP, unless its a newer gen sensor /BSI/ etc etc

Edited by frame-it

I just want this fixed, and the camera to work to the advertised spec. with SL glass.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

19 hours ago, frame-it said:

Larger sensors yes, but  usually not sensors of the same size with higher MP, unless its a newer gen sensor /BSI/ etc etc

The context is that the larger sensors, not larger pixels improve DR. Better technology can help. BSI alone does not help much (DR) with larger sensors.

1 hour ago, SrMi said:

The context is that the larger sensors, not larger pixels improve DR. Better technology can help. BSI alone does not help much (DR) with larger sensors.

the. sensor of the M10-R has smaller border around the pixel, making the pixel surface larger and allowing better capture at high iso.

On 12/10/2020 at 6:17 PM, MarkinVan said:

From Red Dot Form Review:

Upcoming firmware features (early 2021)

New Autofocus Algorithm

Improved eye/face/head/body recognition and focus tracking

HEVC video compression

Internal 4K recording with 10-bit at 50p/60p with H.265 codec

Long-GOP – Recording 

Long-GOP for 10-bit codecs with 15-200 MB/s means same image quality as ALL-Intra but less than half the data size.

Segmented Video

Video recording will be split into 1-minute segments to avoid any potential data loss due to power failure

Individual viewing LUT

Upload function for personalized LUTs

Enhanced Live View

Better low light image composition control in live view

Image overlay

Allows alignment of the camera position on the basis of a previous taken image, that is displayed in a transparent mode in the EVF or on the LCD

Automatic Follow Focus 

Definition of three focus points for automatic focus shift during video recording

Waveform Monitor 

Professional exposure valuation of the video signal

1/3 ISO/ASA steps

Precise exposure control in Video and Cine modes

Color Bars

Reference for correct color grading and sound control in post production

Tally Mode

Would you mind reference me the original post about this please, I have been waiting for a firmware update for my SL2 too.