Sigma 100-400 F5-6.3 DG DN

ropo54

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Bit of bird action from my garden this afternoon - CL 100-400 + 1.4TC, both shot using AFS, Spot focus, reasonably close 6-8 metres away.

f/9 1/125 ISO 400 - had to lift exposure a full stop, very shady corner

f/9  1/60 ISO 400 - can see some shake or lack or sharpness in this one but was also shot through glass.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Boojay said:

Bit of bird action from my garden this afternoon - CL 100-400 + 1.4TC, both shot using AFS, Spot focus, reasonably close 6-8 metres away.

f/9 1/125 ISO 400 - had to lift exposure a full stop, very shady corner

f/9  1/60 ISO 400 - can see some shake or lack or sharpness in this one but was also shot through glass.

Beautiful color in those shots, Jayne, even if the lens didn't quite capture all the details.

I just read something on Sonyalpharumors that may shed some light on the apparent autofocus issues some of us have experienced with the lens:

Sigma has decided to postpone the 70-200mm f/2.8 FE lens launch to autumn 2020. One of the sources says the reason has to do with Sigma trying to improve the autofocus algorithm. This works very good on prime lenses but is said to not be flawless on zoom lenses. They need time to improve it.

It stands to reason that AF accuracy would be more of a concern on a lens with a constant f/2.8 aperture than on one with f/6.3 at the long end. 

In spite of my nitpicking about the lens on the CL, I am optimistic that it will prove to be a valuable tool for capturing images on the SL.  Intense scrutiny is part of the break-in process with any lens for me, it's just that I usually do it in silence. No lens is perfect; and there is a lot to like about this lens.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, tritentrue said:

Beautiful color in those shots, Jayne, even if the lens didn't quite capture all the details.

I just read something on Sonyalpharumors that may shed some light on the apparent autofocus issues some of us have experienced with the lens:

Sigma has decided to postpone the 70-200mm f/2.8 FE lens launch to autumn 2020. One of the sources says the reason has to do with Sigma trying to improve the autofocus algorithm. This works very good on prime lenses but is said to not be flawless on zoom lenses. They need time to improve it.

It stands to reason that AF accuracy would be more of a concern on a lens with a constant f/2.8 aperture than on one with f/6.3 at the long end. 

In spite of my nitpicking about the lens on the CL, I am optimistic that it will prove to be a valuable tool for capturing images on the SL.  Intense scrutiny is part of the break-in process with any lens for me, it's just that I usually do it in silence. No lens is perfect; and there is a lot to like about this lens.

Thanks Rob.   There were things I did wrong when I shot both of them, as always when reviewing exif,  there is always a should have, could have thought process, but the news about Sigma's AF algorithm is interesting, maybe improvements down the road.  

Anyway Rob, please continue to update us, I'm one of many on here who value your Intense Scrutiny and efforts to get the very best out of your kit, and hope to be able to pick up some tips along the way.  

• Like 5

SL with Sigma + 1.4X . . . 

Eurasian Sparrow . . . 

• Like 9

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Cropped at 100%, details in eyes visible if you click through.  I've used only two other non-Leica zoom/TC combinations that could capture this much detail, and the Sigma is the best of the three.  Near subject matter seems to bring out its best.

• Like 13

I am impressed by my experience with Sigma. My fp suffered from a bug which rendered the direct USB video feed to a laptop useless - most other owners did not have this problem. After I contacted Sigma UK (though I'd bought it from B&H NY) I was told the problem was recognised; shortly afterwards Sigma issued its latest f/w which killed the bug. 

So if Sigma recognises a problem with AF (always the first step!), I would expect a solution after not too long a delay.

• Like 2

Carpenter Bee . . .

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tritentrue said:

Jayne, this one is referred to locally as a Broad-Footed Carpenter Bee (Xylocopa latipes).  It's large, about 35mm in length, and will not sting unless under threat of being crushed.

That is quite large... not sure we get those here, my first thought when I looked at him was that he reminded me of a super hero's costume, Batman probably, all that rippling muscle clad in black rubber 😀.

Anyhow, I have now been trying the Sigma a bit more on the SL2.. not yet with the extender, couple from the garden, ok results I think, just relied on single point autofocus.

Edited by Boojay
  • Like 15

16 minutes ago, tritentrue said:

Amazing details, spectacular shots, Jayne!  I clicked through on both, and on the first the setae are incredibly detailed.  You're getting the absolute best out of this lens.

Thanks so much Rob, I'll be happy when I manage to get as much detail from a bird shot as you, just once, I'd be satisfied!

• Thanks 1

I am still waiting for mine to be delivered, but when I see the superb results that many of you post, I am convinced that ordering one was a good desicion.

There is every reason to admire Sigma; I feel. The new 1.4/85 DG DN Art also seems to be quite spectacular, outperforming lenses costing a lot more. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ivar B said:

I am still waiting for mine to be delivered, but when I see the superb results that many of you post, I am convinced that ordering one was a good desicion.

There is every reason to admire Sigma; I feel. The new 1.4/85 DG DN Art also seems to be quite spectacular, outperforming lenses costing a lot more. 

I think you'll be happy and yes I agree, Sigma are not only filling the gaps but giving us some exciting AF options for L mount.

• Thanks 1

Couple more from SL2 and Sigma, huge crops, really do prefer to get the birds perched in the tree rather than on the feeders but nothing was obliging today.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

My lens arrived yesterday. I did some quick shots in the neighbourhood and I am very impressed so far. Very fast autofocus on the Panasonic S1R and amazing image stabilization.

One question. When I used the lens on the Panasonic S1R, the viewfinder lists stabilization as "Lens". When I use the Leica 24-90, stabilization is listed as "Dual" i.e. lens and body both providing stabilization. This may be a menu item that I need to check, but has anyone had the same experience or do you get "Dual" stablilization with this lens?

33 minutes ago, Ivar B said:

One question. When I used the lens on the Panasonic S1R, the viewfinder lists stabilization as "Lens". When I use the Leica 24-90, stabilization is listed as "Dual" i.e. lens and body both providing stabilization.

I don't know about this, but it might be because of the focal length. Body stabilization works best with shorter focal lengths (less physical movement needed), so Panasonic may have chosen to disable it for super-telephotos that have built-in IS. It could also be a firmware bug, which should presumably be fixed in the next update.