leica 100-400 lens not focusing at 400mm

Advertisement (gone after registration)

i was focused on a hawk in a tree at 400mm and as i was holding the shutter, the green focus emblems were all over the hawk, as i pressed the shutter i could se the photo was out of focus. i shot several photos and they were all out of focus. My dual focusing feature was on. anyone experiencing this.

At that distance and at with this subject you are sure to pick up random branches as well, or even a spot on the branch he is sitting on   
It is a gamble which plane of focus your AF will pick up.
Either use Spot Focus and AFS or Manual with Focus Magnification. AFC is useless as you will be waving the camera about enough to lose the subject causing the camera to refocus.

Don’t use Multifield for wildlife, nor AFC unless for fast-moving stuff. Personally I use Manual and only switch to AF if I really need it. That will be spot focus as there will always be a branch or blade of grass upsetting things.

I use AFC and Multifield  when attempting BIF with a dot sight, for instance. There will be no obstructions and you can never be sure where the bird will be. 

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...